A hundred of each type of warrior face each other in combat. Who wins?

• SpartansA hundred of each type of warrior face each other in combat. Who wins?
  • Roman legionaries A hundred of each type of warrior face each other in combat. Who wins?
  • SamuraiA hundred of each type of warrior face each other in combat. Who wins?
  • Varangian GuardsA hundred of each type of warrior face each other in combat. Who wins?

Most Helpful Girl

• Samurai!

• I'm from Japan and samurai fascinate me (there's kind of a romance and fantasy to Bushido), but I'm afraid they would hardly make a dent against a properly-equipped Roman army.

• @Eridan that's what my sister said, a match of a late era roman legion vs a late era samurai army would be won by the japanese, same with an early era one... but both in their middle eras (when they were in their prime) romans would win.

• I think I need to talk to your sister... why aren't there people like her in my vicinity?
      Anyway, obviously late era Samurai would win because they used gunpowder, but you can't really compare military technology from the late antiquity and early modern era. I don't know what either the Roman army or the Samurai looked like in their early days, so I can't talk about that.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 1

• I'd say it would depend on what time we're talking about. If they're in their prime, then the Romans win; if it's in their beginnings the Spartans win; and if it's in their late days, then the Samurai win.

What Guys Said 20

• If I remember my folklore - The Spartan were very tough

• I think it would be a close one between Spartans and Romans since samurais or vikings didn't really fight in formations.

Probably Spartans tho because of the extreme training they went through.

• That is exactly what I thought. I picked Spartans but it would be close.

• Varangian Guards. Better technology.

• My thinking is Romans as some of the most well-equipped by far with very effective military tactics and formations.

• Strategically yes, tactically no. The individual Roman soldier was not special by any means but rather the legion as a whole was unstoppable in light of revolutionary tactics and discipline.

• @JRICHARDS1996 I see -- perhaps I mixed up what was meant between strategy and tactics on the battlefield. But much agreed in that respect, the value of the Roman soldier was in numbers.

• @JRICHARDS1996
      Exactly. The romans developed the phalanx idea pretty well, and they could set up a temporary fortress in just a few hours.

• 10 Spartans would be enough.

https://youtu.be/p27ipEzsxW4

• im voting for the roman legionaries as they had sieges weapons and shit and the other did not.

• Okay, the only ones who would even stand a chance in melee would be the romans and the guards.
    See, the Spartans equipment would be used of FAR inferior metal compared to everyone else.
    The Samurai used pig iron in their swords and up until the time they saw muskets they were rarely used and a shameful weapon. The Samurai were mounted Archers and their armor was built to defend against arrows. So they are out as well.
    The romans might put up a good fight but training and tactics only go so far against the guards superior metalworking and tech

• Good point, I voted romans without thinking about it very hard, but yeah the guards would have better armor and weapons

• That was exactly what I said. Their technology would give them a great edge, especially in a Melee. Allowed to fight in battle formation, I'd pick the romans, unless the Samurai had a LOT of arrows and horses.

• Spartans definitely

• Easily the Romans. They were like Spartans but better with more advanced techniques and equipment. Rome TOOK OVER Greece. Samurai wouldn't stand a chance to any of the rest. They were more of elite guards than fighters, and their weapons wouldn't be useful against lots of shields.

• The Romans win hands down. They are the best equipped and most tactical and organized army out of those groups

• Barbarians, Nordic barbarians always wins

• Between Spartans and Romans. Spartans are more hardcore and gone through ridiculous training since they were born. But Romans were the smartest military around in that era and also had the best equipment of that era. I would say Spartans in the end though. Maybe if it was 400-500 Romans against 100 Spartans.

• Varangians had a fair share of Anglo-Saxons in their ranks, so Varangians.

• Spartans

• Spartans

• I've got to go with the Spartans.

• Spartans, hands down!

• peak of their strength probs romans, but they fell apart later on
    spartans ftw!!!

• ya spartans.

axes cleave roman shields
    samurai stab axes
    pro spear users with shields rek samurai.

• Varangian Guards