Germany Italy 6-5 on penalties?

Who else watched it? My heart was in my throat haha. I thought they'd probably draw but never thought if it went to penalties it'd get to that point with Germany.

Most Helpful Guy

• "Germany missed more penalties in 10 minutes on Saturday than in their six previous shootouts spanning 40 years yet still found a way to emerge victorious"

At this point its a running gag all around the football world that if you go to penalties against Germany you lose. Just that I dont think its a gag for the players, but serious mental pressure.

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." - Gary Lineker

• Haha I like those two quotes :)
      But yea i do feel sorry for other teams sometimes with things like that and I'm sure some of them would have had better chances if they didn't psych themselves out beforehand.

Most Helpful Girl

• As a German it was the most nerve wrecking thing ever. I was terrified, so terrified i was shaking.

• It was very 'Un-German'- for German's never miss penalties

What Guys Said 13

• Worst penalty shootout I've ever seen. I can't believe they can throw a pass from 80m away, but can't score a goal from 11m xD

It was hilarious haha but I'm glad Germany passed, even though I feel bad for Buffon, I really respect that man.

• This is 1 of the 5000 reasons I can't get into soccer. I like the sport, but always feel cheated. A team that doesn't play to win doesn't deserve to even get to that point. All Italy did was defend. I get off both teams try and play, but when you waste 2 fucking hours of doing that, you don't deserve to be there 😑... And yet I found myself rooting for them. Mainly because I want Iceland to win and they have a better shot of they play Italy

• Its part of a very strategic matchplan teams have. Unlike as in American football and other American sports football (=soccer) only has one break and the rest is a matchplan players have to focus on and can't adapt much throughout the game. And this is one of the many possibilities to win - especially as the underdog.

You might want to check this website out to understand it better (tomorrow there should be an analysis of the german game): http://spielverlagerung.com/

• @FakeName123 it's strategic, I get that, but it's not conducive to playing the game. It's not the teams' fault, it's the system. I want to see teams play soccer, not milk the clock for 90 minutes. This is the exact reason why the shot clock in basketball was invented or the play clock in American football. Especially when these are the best of the best. Showcase it, don't waste it. It's like watching Usain bolt running a mile or going to Calvin Harris concert and listening to him play Beethoven. And the sport doesn't really set up well for the underdog to win. If that was the case, besides your occasional Leicester, Iceland and Greece teams, it's the same teams wouldn't win every time. Brazil, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, real Madrid, Chelsea, psg, man u, barca, byern, etc.

And I get the strategy. I watch it a decent amount. I've watched almost every game thus far, too. Soccer isn't that hard to understand. It's nuanced, but the field play is fairly basic

• I cannot believe seeing any German miss a penalty for they are as a rule, machines

Schienswagger was the worst- totally inconceivable seeing him miss

• Yep, totally ridiculous attempt lol, I was pissed

• So against the German ice cool nerve too

They never miss, or never use too

• That was a crazy game!!!

• That Zaza guy is a cunt. I hate stutter penalties, but what he did was ridiculous.

I've got some Italian blood, so I was for the Azzurro, but they fluffed it.

Gutted.

• Yeah! Sports I don't watch!

• yes, watched it and I'm happy that germany won.

• yeah watched it... hoped italy would win :/

• I wanted Germany haha. How come you wanted Italy, are you Italian? They did play well though, it gave Germany a challenge.

• no, I just don't want Germany to win :P

• I'm so glad Germany won.

• Italy blew it. They had it, but couldn't finish.

• They didn't have it lol

• Usually though I think if you're going to penalties with Germany, it's over. They know what they're doing usually

• The German penalty game wasn't as good as usual today.

• yeah it was fun to watch. could have gone either way. bad luck for italy

• I watched.. was great match..
    But both teams were bad at the penalties

• I saw this game and yes it was nerve wracking. I'm pleased with the result.

• no muller no care.

What Girls Said 7

• Tbh I had a feeling the referee was kinda biased towards Italy, like the penalty for Schweinsteiger? Ridiculous!
    Anyways, they've won this certainly most thrilling match of the cup & that's all that matters (I've got a bet running on Germany winning the Euro16 lol)! 🇩🇪😄

• You'll get your money lol

• Yea, just half though, but German citizen also. I love it because I was born n raised in the UK and they've obviously got the little football rivalry, so I get to gloat quite often :)
      You're really pretty by the way, you look like a dolly lol.

• I'm quarter German, too, and I love it when it comes to football hahaha! Oh why thank you!

• Al I know is earlier I was at the nail salon and they had the soccer game on. I'm not into soccer but holy god! Just about every single man on both teams (more so the Germans) were hot as hell! Jesus! I need to get into soccer now just to see the hotties. I was really impressed. 😉

• Omg, I know!! I think this year was the year of all the hottest players on most teams in the Euro. Most of the teams looked quite good haha.

• Impressive! 😊

• Germany deserved it.

But I am fed up with Germany in the tournaments. They're boring.

• Blasphemy! Haha. Na I think they usually play exciting matches. The only boring thing is always knowing the outcome will be Germany on top hehe.

• Italy were playing for penalties, but I really don't know why.

• God, one of the most netve wrecking games. I really hoped italy would win, but germany's goalie was SO good.

by the way, buffon, hot or not?

• You know what, I think both teams were kinda good looking lol like had a few decent looking on each side, then when it gets to him I really can't decide haha I kept trying to decide during the match but couldn't.

• True that lmao. My mother said she liked the trainer of italy but he really isn't my type. Lol. Were you for germany or italy?

• I watched it. It thought that game would never come to an end lol
    I was hoping that Italy would win because I hate Germans. But I know it's not up to me...

• Omfg that game was SO INTENSE. My heart was in my throat too. I knew Germany was gonna win. I had faith in them.

• You know usually I have so much faith in them too, I never worry, but today, when it got to like third penalty I was dying haha.

• YEAH IKR. I was so shocked when Muller and Schweinsteiger missed. I sort of thought it was over for them when I saw that.