Why do people in their late teens-early 20s move in with their Significant Others?

Do you feel like you can't have a relationship with your partners unless you live with them? Do you feel like cohabiting at such a young age would eventually lead to marriage?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can only speak for myself.
    I moved in with my girlfriend because I love her very much and because my parents politely told me that it's time to move out and stand on my own feet. I don't think I had marriage in mind when I moved in with my girlfriend but I had taken several vacations with her before we moved in (something every couple should do before they move in!) and I felt this strong urge to see her as often as possible and to spend my everyday-life with her. I didn't want to just meet a few times a week for a date, I wanted to wake up next to her and go to bed with her.

Also, now that I have cohabited with my girlfriend from a few years, I also understand that living together is VERY DIFFERENT from just dating. When you move in with your partner, your relationship reaches depths that you previously didn't even know exist. Living together is a completely new thing. And I really love having my girlfriend around. Even if she's in a different room and we do our own stuff and don't talk for the whole afternoon, it's still nice to know she's here and I can go over there and give her a kiss whenever I feel like it. It's a great luxury in my opinion.

And finally, it was also a relatively easy choice for me because the other option didn't interest me so much. In my country Switzerland, we have a model of living that is extremely popular among young people. We call it "Wohngenossenschaft" or "housing companionship" (rough translation). Basically, a couple of young people (sometimes close friends, sometimes strangers) share the rent for one apartment or house together. Everyone has his/her own bedroom but you share the kitchen, living room and bathroom with your friends. Sometimes, these housing companionships are made of just three people who rent a small city apartment, sometimes it's groups of up to 10-15 people who together rent a large mansion or a farm. It's a great way to live when you don't have a lot of money yet and you don't want to (or can't) live on your own. It's also a great way to live for young people because you're always around other young, likeminded folks, you can throw parties without any parents getting annoyed, you're still easy-going and don't care if the living room looks messy etc.. Most young people in my country really love this way of living. In my case, I felt like living in such a way would make my relationship more tricky because of the lack of privacy, so my girlfriend and me moved into an apartment on our own.

Most Helpful Girl

• The desire to get out of your parents house is strong at that age. They want to get out into the world and live as an adult and not the child their parents likely still see them as. If I were dating someone at that age I'd have moved in with him too. New surroundings. Lenient rules. And living with someone you care about.

What Guys Said 13

• That's mainly because they get to have sex more often. Unfortunately, today relationships are based around sex, rather than sex being a part of a relationship. And this is the reason for so many breakups and divorces.

• It's best to start moving in with them to get to know them better, in order, to KNOW for sure that you might want to be in a relationship forever with them. If you think just going on dates and shite let's you get to know a person better, then you're mistaken.

Moving in provides an efficient way of knowing who that person is.

• I know for me, it was just because summers were boring! But also I think it was just so there was more regular access to a sexual partner. Or if I was going to have roommates, might as well be someone I like. I never thought of moving in with someone I was with because I wanted to marry them.

• So they can have sex a few times a day.

No, it doesn't lead to marriage, or at least not long term ones for the vast majority.

• More sex
    Get to be with them
    Convenient
    Cheaper gas wise, rent wise, time wise, etc

• The world is run by people that age.

• I mean... in my experience, part of the reason was not having money for two separate places, but living together was more appealing than living with parents or random roommates. I don't think I would do it again though tbh.

• I certainly wouldn't.

• I am past that. I never had a significant other in my entire fucking life and I'm turning 26.

• Haven't had a girlfriend for 7 years. Even if I did, I wouldn't move in. Only way is if we were together 1-2 years so I actually know whether she will be a good person to live with or not.

• It's my dream to cohabit with a potential lover (s).

• Well if you're Bering Gold cast member red head chick, you have no where to live.

• they wanna feel mature

What Girls Said 11

• I'm about to move in with a boyfriend for the first time. While I'm not exactly in my early 20s anymore, he's only my second boyfriend and I've been a late bloomer, so I feel like I still fall into that category. For me, there are a few reasons for doing it. First of all, it's the easiest and most affordable way to get to be close to each other, since we've had a long distance relationship and I will be moving to be near him. So it's partly practicality. In addition, though, it sounds fun, and I also see it as an important step for making sure that we really are right for each other before we move towards something like marriage.

• i've lived with the people i've dated because (until recently) i had no intention of ever being married and was quite content to be someone's "eternal girlfriend".

that said, i think people should always live together before marriage because so much of what works (or doesn't) in a relationship is revealed in the day-to-day.

when you're just dating someone, there's a lot that you still don't know about the other person. are your lifestyles compatible? for example, if he's a slob or she's a party animal, and you're a neat-freak who prefers a quiet evening alone with a book, the relationship is unlikely to last.

my boyfriend (future husband) and i have lived together for most of our 2 years together. we're both homebodies who'd rather stay home and cuddle than go out drinking; we're close to our families, share responsibilities evenly, and have egalitarian notions of relationships, among other things i'd never have known about him if we hadn't lived together first.

• who knows? some genuinely see a future together, some just wanna fuck conveniently whenever they like. others might be having hard circumstances at home so they move in together and others may just want to do it for the excitement of it all.

very hard to say, but i do agree that a relationship can lead to marriage without living together.

• Because it's fun! Living alone seems dull, so living together with the person you're wirh is great.

• S E X

• Because they want to

• At this age people go to college who are really far from their home so they have to move together for seing each other everydays

• I think we should always live apart and actually it would be beneficial for a longer term relationship.

• It makes people feel as though they're taking the next step in their relationship instead of just staying put. Sometimes people can't afford rent. Sometimes people just like the idea of being able to have sex on the kitchen counter in the privacy of your own home.. It varies.

• No I dot want to Iive together till marriage

• There are two reasons I can think of; you really want to live with them because you love them and/or its financially a good idea.
    I moved in with my guy because I lived him and loved spending time with him. Living together means never saying good bye just good night. Also for me it was a bonus because I was no longer living at home going nuts.