Do you ever feel like your life is meaningless?

• Yes
  • No
  • somtimes

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes but rarely. I know my purpose now. God- Family- Friends-Love

Most Helpful Guy

• We all have more of an impact on the people around us than we'd like to think. Plus if you work hard enough at it, you could even influence future generations. We can all make a difference.

What Girls Said 8

• i once read a quote that read 'the world would not be the same if you didn't exist'. i thought about it, a little sceptical at first... but then i thought of people, and how we interacted. how my existence affected change in some instances. how it helped people, how it didn't help people. i thought about my decisions, and how they affect broader society. when you really really think of every little element of your existence, you realise that your presence on this earth matters somehow some way.

• No, I don't think I've ever felt that way before.

• Nope. I am here for a purpose and when you feel like that just get up and do something. Anything. And it'll clear your mind

• I've had moments when I thought like that but I always fight with those kind of thoughts and try to prove myself that it has a meaning.

• Yes, sometimes. But it's only when I'm sad or when something goes wrong.

• Yes, always, I don't understand why I'm alive or allowed to breathe.

• coz they can't sale the air yet.

• @EllieLexis513

You came into existence because your parents had made that decision which is entirely outside and beyond your control. Your parents "Could" bring you into existence into this reality and world. They "Could" bring you into existence because they "Wanted" to bring you into existence in the first place. Otherwise they could have been like aww fuck it, split and gone their separate ways and then they would have never been your "parents" as then you would not have come into existence here.

Oh, and uh. As far as I've last checked everything that's on land and not underwater and is consisting of flesh, blood, bone, etc. all required oxygen to maintain and sustain their existence and live. Plants and vegetation don't breathe oxygen but rather generate and produce them from photosynthesis.

• Only sometimes when I'm down but then I always remember the happy and wonderful things about life and it's worth living

• Always.

What Guys Said 13

• Here's a quote from Emil Cioran in regards to a existential nihilistic outlook on life:

"Everything is possible, and yet nothing is. All is permitted, and yet again, nothing. No matter which way we go, it is no better than any other. It is all the same whether you achieve something or not, have faith or not, just as it’s all the same whether you cry or remain silent. There is an explanation for everything, and yet there is none. Everything is both real and unreal, normal and absurd, splendid and insipid. There is nothing worth more than anything else, nor any idea better than any other. Why grow sad from one’s sadness and delight in one’s joy? What does it matter whether our tears come from pleasure or pain? Love your unhappiness and hate your happiness, mix everything up, scramble it all! Be a snowflake dancing in the air, a flower floating downstream! Have courage when you don’t need to, and be a coward when you must be brave! Who knows? You may still be a winner! And if you lose, does it really matter? Is there anything to win in this world? All gain is loss, all loss is gain. Why always expect a definite stance, clear ideas, meaningful words? I feel as if I should spout fire in response to all the questions which were ever put, or not put, to me."

I think that there is no real actual meanings, just delusions and illusions. Life's "meaning" is completely different for anyone. There is no meaning to life except that which we create for ourselves from our own desires, we must "desire" and "want" life to have any meaning at all or that there really isn't.

That and necessities to survive and that I would have to create my own meaning and decide what my life is going to be about.

• Out of curiosity, then, what would you define as being absolutely morally true? If meaning is manufactured, then how are morals anything more than a private fancy?

• That tends to be sort of consistent I've read of the relativist and nihilist "Greats", was just curious as to how you approached that, always kinda hard to tell with relativists.

I'd tend to fall into the camp that any philosophy which incompatible with the idea that certain acts are always evil is not one worth accepting, especially when paired with the idea that purpose simply ends in the heart of a graveyard. It seems that relativists cannot defend the notion that certain acts are not innately evil and perverse, and once one heads down the road that insists there are certain truths, it gets hard to deny that those truths ought to be lived by.

I'm not trying to insinuate that you actually believe genocide to be OK, I simply don't believe that you do, but that's ultimately the consequence of not having universal truths. I think we can agree that being fulfilled is critical, and that's where morality comes in, it's the right fuel. I think you'd like "Mere Christianity", by C. S Lewis.

• @SwoopingHawk

Genocide? Whoever thought about that is seriously fucked up in the head. I think people are always tiresomely fighting and killing each other over something, or to gain something or perhaps even nothing, because they are sick and twisted. Those people make me wonder wow, seriously? what is with all the hurry with those people? everyone's time gonna run out eventually, why be so impatient about it? everyone is going to have their turn, why even bother to fight and kill each other over this or over that when the results are still one and the same in the end as everyone would eventually fucking die no matter what the fuck they do, what ever they fought and had killed each other for in order to obtain, attain or gain will all eventually be a loss anyway since once their time is up, they will lose possession of all that they had obtained, attained or gained. It's really hollow, empty, and "meaningless", like tiresomely running 360 degrees over and over again.

• Every single day.
    I think that Shakespeare expressed the futility of life well in Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5.
    Spoken by Macbeth:
    There would have been a time for such a word.
    Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
    To the last syllable of recorded time,
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

• @cth96190

ah, now I remember. Macbeth, yes. I remember having to read and do assignments for this play for summer school one time back in high school. I think that Macbeth quote can be very deep and relevant to existential nihilism.

If you want really deep, try reading "On The Heights Of Despair" by Emil Cioran, or his other books such as "The Book Of Delusions" or "The Trouble With Being Born".

But you can choose and decide to create whatever meaning you want your life to be about while you're still alive and kicking, and then eventually as we all had come to realize it that like all things, they expire and must come to an end, thus it will eventually be lights out forever, but that is unless you follow and believe in some belief system and believe that an afterlife exists or that it is for real, such as if that provides any kind of comfort at all, as it does for many and some people, but not for everyone.

• The thought crosses my mind daily.

• I'm guessing you're a deep thinker also? Then you must also know and understand what emptiness and existential nihilism is too.

• @JudgmentDay
      Im not sure if Im a deep thinker, just an over-thinker. Like the same shallow thoughts replay in my mind over and over again.

That being said my worldview does seem similar to the definition of nihilism. How empty I feel linda depends on the day though.

• I do, so I'm really slogging my ass off to make it meaningful!

• @aficionado

The clock is ticking. We won't be around in this world forever so make the most of it while we are here before it's completely lights out forever. And also it is because we never really know when exactly that it is or will be our time be gone from this world, so we should always try and live for the moment and enjoy it while we still can as we can't know exactly when, where, why, and even how we'll go. Take your time, really. Because there is no need to be in a complete hurry all in a rush to get to the finish line.

Everyone and I mean everyone will have their own stories and individual experiences that they can choose to use to create the meaning (s) for their lives.

• Sometimes I feel like I could have it better. I feel like things come into my life to where I get used to it and then it gets taken away from me. Kind of like I'm always starting over which I hate. Sometimes I wonder to myself that I'll never finish school, and that because of school, I'll never have a real life

• Life IS meaningless.

It's up to each individual to find things that give it meaning. And what those things are are different for everyone.

• I've never felt that way. Love and be loved, by God and by man. Ever since Inwas old enough to understand, I've known I have a purpose.

• Nope.

• I and god give my life meaning and no life is meaningless. We are all here for a reason we all have our purpose even if we do not yet see it.

• But it is? so sayith nihilism

• well it is in teh grand scheme of things

• Yea if I don't get what I want

• @sixnineanon

"Yeah, people are people 'cause they're miserable bastards, 'cause they never get what they really want." "you get what you want, you get crazy."

"Just take a look at Michael Jackson, hmm? Or Hasselhoff."

What you said had just reminded me of a few quotes and dialogue from an episode of the T. V. show I currently watch.

• 0|0
  • Of course. That's because it is. You just now figuring that out?

• I think that it is a paradox, if you WANT life or specifically your own life, to have any kind of meaning then you will create some kind of meaning or any kind of meaning (s) to your very existence, and that you must choose to, "if" you "WANT" your existence to have any kind or some kind of meaning at all.

Otherwise if you don't really "WANT" your existence to have any kind of meaning, well then. Then it won't really matter or have mattered any way or either way.

Just enjoy life while it lasts, since it will not last forever. And I think we both can agree that neither of us or any of us ever had ask to come here into this reality, neither did we ever demanded or even wanted to come into existence in this reality in the first place but however that had been something entirely beyond and outside of our control and yet we are here. So do something then, anything, because for now you can still choose to.