Has anyone ever doubted you? Were you ever able to prove them wrong?

I was 17 when a teacher said I should try smiling more because it's like I have no personality. At first when she told me those words, I was in shock and felt numb to everything going on around me then I began to wonder if it was true. Then I said fuck it, I have nothing to prove to no one. At graduation she forced a hug on me. That was awkward. I was just accepted in a nursing program because I have good grades but also because the application people felt that I am a warm, kind person and that I deeply care for people. They even said I was a pleasure to interview which is probably my favorite compliment that I have been told. I am not going to go out of my way to tell her she was wrong because that's petty but it still feels good.

Most Helpful Guy

• A professor from Yale University used to always disrespect me in physics class. One day, I asked him for help with a problem. When I said a few words to him, it shattered whatever racist image he had of me inside his head. He actually told me that he assumed I was "one of those immigrant students who spoke broken English." He stopped disrespecting me in class after that day.

He was neither the first nor last person to judge me based solely on my physical appearance. I thought racism was over, but I guess not.

I wish I could just communicate with people telepathically. Talking with people is a tedious process for me. Even typing is becoming a monotonous task.

Most Helpful Girl

• Plenty of times. I'm drawing a blank on specific examples, though. xD

What Guys Said 5

• I've doubted myself and proved myself wrong. One such occasion was when I was helping to set-up the store before we opened up. We had 9 days to get it all ready. I was on night crew who put all the displays together. I never thought i would make it past the first couple nights. But I made it all 9 nights and still working there even though it's not as much now after 7 long months.

• My classmates, middle school teachers, and that damned principal of that school from Hell, were such assholes! They said because of my autism, I'd never make it through college. Well, surprise surprise surprise!!! I'm an Associate degree graduate! I would just like to take my degree and wave it in their faces and say, "HA HA HA!!!" Fireworks and sparks will be coming out of my chest when I show those people my Associates degree, just like in Katy Perry's "Firework" music video.

• Yes, my cousins think I am weak at studies but I kicked their ass 3.81Cgp in 2nd semester of medical class.

• probably

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 4

• lol all the time. some i proved wrong, others i proved right.

• My college math professor told me to just drop the class, because I wouldn't be able to pass (he gave the same advice to most of the female students). I handed in my final exam and it took me a minute to pack my bag up so I could leave. He apparently started grading it immediately. I caught a glimpse of him on my way out. He looked completely fucking shocked. I passed the class.

• My family always doubts me, no matter how hard I try to be good at whatever I'm doing. It took me years to realize they're a bunch of idiots anyway, so why would I base my value on their opinion. And that teacher sounds like a moron. Smiling has nothing to do with personality- you could be the shittiest person on Earth and smiling couldn't change that.

• People doubt me all the time. I'm sure I've proven people wrong before.