Did this baker discriminate or not, and why?

A lesbian couple walks into a bakery to place a large order. The order is as follows:

1. A custom birthday cake for one of them
2. Different custom baked goods for the birthday party
3. A special order for their child
4. Discusses placing an order for their wedding.

The baker agrees to everything, but the wedding cake. Has the couple been discriminated against or not and what is your logic?

• Yes
  • No
Please explain further than they were denied because they are a lesbian couple, because this baker did serve them knowing they are a lesbian couple.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. People don't have to do things that violate their own personal beliefs. In a way, making a cake for them would mean the baker condones the wedding when they don't. It's not discrimination. Go to a different bakery. They aren't refusing complete service, just a homosexual wedding one. The couple still got everything else, just not that one thing.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's obvious that he discriminated them.
    Just exchange the lesbian couple with an interracial couple. Say, a white woman and her black boyfriend come into the bakery. Or a white guy and his Japanese girlfriend. They want to order a wedding cake but the baker says "I think white women who marry black men are sinners and spoil our beautiful white race. Hence, I will absolutely refuse to buy a wedding cake here."
    I think we can all agree that such a baker would be an asshole. Somehow, when it comes to gay people, the same type of discrimination suddenly seems totally acceptable for some people.

• but he does take orders for anything else from them...

• hold racist beliefs but it doesn't protect you from kicking black people out of your restaurant or telling them that they have to sit in the back of the bus. In the same way, you are free to believe that gay people are disgusting and gay marriage is wrong but the reality is that gay marriage is legal in the US and trying to stop gay people from getting married is discriminatory.

• Plus, I also find the attitude of the baker pretty childish. I mean... what's the point of it all. He doesn't get ANYTHING out of all this. In fact, he loses two potential long-term customers. The only thing he gets out of it is a pleasure for having made two young people's lives a little tougher than they might already be. Is that really a reason to pat your own shoulder before you go to bed and be proud of yourself. I think it's really immature.

What Girls Said 5

• It depends on his reasons for not agreeing to do the wedding cake. If he truly was not able to fulfill that order and would have refused to fill it for any couple, even a heterosexual couple, then he did not discriminate. If he would have filled it for a heterosexual couple but not for this couple, then he discriminated against them.

• It is because the baker does not want to cater a lesbian wedding, but has already shown he will serve the lesbian couple for all their other bakery needs.

• No, because a baking request can come from someone who is not making the event as well.

• But it's for the event, and for the people who are making the event.

• I am very much pro gay rights and still believe that companies should be able to refuse wedding ceremony cakes and such legally. But that they can also face the court of public opinion as this sort of thing becomes unacceptable to most people.

• Likewise, I don't think people should be forced to bake birthday cakes with rebel flags or bachelorette party cupcakes with dicks on them. Etc.

• Maybe he's super religious and it goes against his beliefs. They're allowed their beliefs and he's allowed his.

• Why are you bringing this up this is old

• Oh not this shit again...

What Guys Said 16

• Yes this bakery discriminated against the couple. Whenever you deprive someone of something because they are "different" it is discrimination no matter what. The issue in this scenario is whether or not the baker's discrimination is legal or not.

Unfortunately many states still do not have any laws in order that would make discriminating against a gay couple illegal especially when it's under the guise of religion. Private business are incapable (due to federal law) of discriminating based on race, religion, gender and nationality, but there is no federal law in place that protects homosexuals from discrimination in the private business sector. I do however believe that this will change in the next 5 years, but until then this decision is left up to the city, county and the state.

• Yes it's discrimination, and they have the right to discriminate. Just like the customer has the right to discriminate and choose which baker they patronize.

Just because someone goes into business doesn't mean they suddenly lose all their rights. Equal rights by definition must be equal. That means the right of the customer does not outweigh the right of the business owner. Both have the right to choose who they associate with and who they do business with.

• Freedom of enterprise.

One wonders why these radical leftist lesbians go out of their way to find the few devout Christian bakeries that will not serve them, when there are countless ones who want their money and who will. Leftist Pinko cry-bullying, that is all it is.

I dare them to go try this with "Your Black Muslim Bakery" (Oakland, CA) or similar bakeries in the Detroit area.

Any takers? I thought so, or not.

• "Your Black Muslim Bakery"
      They can't it went out of business in 2007 according to wikipedia

• "Freedom of enterprise" is about the biggest bullshit argument ever. That's exactly the same argument that those cafés and restaurants used back in the 1950s when they were required to take away those "white only" signs. Just because you own a enterprise doesn't mean you can openly discriminate everyone and be a total asshole.
      Besides, you have no idea whether this couple knew about the convictions of this baker. Maybe they just happened to walk into that bakery because it looked good.

If being right-wing simply means being some dickhead sociopath who gets pleasure out of fucking up other people's lives, I'm very proud to be a lefty.

• @BlueCoyote Actually, I'm quite libertarian on that. That is what freedom of enterprise means.

Moreover "those cafés and restaurants back in the 1950s" more often than not were afraid of the Klan doing arson on their shops and were *not actually making that argument at all*.

• Depends why they declined the wedding cake, if it was because they were gay then yeah it is discriminating. That being said I think businesses should be allowed to make choices like that on their own, you as a consumer should avoid businesses who do things you disagree with.

• Without asking the baker, you don't have the whole picture to make an full judgement of the situation. Making decisions on partial facts is getting everyone into trouble. Also if the couple goes to ask the baker, they must do so in a civil and respectful manner. Not all people share the same values. While many people want to support lesbian couple, some do not. If one business won't maybe another will. Forcing people to do things my eventually drive them away for supporting lesbian causes

• No, because you can't force a private business owner to violate his religious beliefs. Would people be up in arms of this were a Muslim bakery owner who refused to serve gays?

• No the baker is exercising his right to private property.
    He has the right to deny service to whomever for whatever reason.
    Try this at a Muslim bakery and the same thing will happen.

• Yes, obviously.
    They are costumers, there's no real reason to not do it, the a personal believe.
    He messed up personal with professional.

• However as a business owner in the US it is the cake shop's right to deny service to anyone for any reason. Was it stupid, was it discriminatory, was it illegal? Yes, yes, and no.

• Depends on the reasons. Could be discrimination

• I voted

• Its America. The Baker can do whatever he / she wants. The Baker doesn't have to do anything for the couple

• Yes, they were discriminated against. No, it's not wrong. Do I care? No.

• It is discrimination. I've been discriminated and it's not fun.

• They havnt been discriminated against. If he dosnt want to make the cake, he dosnt have to.

• lol, with the same reason of discrimination courts forced a coffee shop owner to serve nazis and skinheads xD