What is a fair tip?

My fellow Americans (since foreign nations often don't have a tip system) what percent do you consider a fair tip at a restaurant?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 8

• 15% of the Bill is actually Right, @Jackblue. Anyone I am with, always leaves a Good Tip, some are Bigger Tippers.
    My mom used to laugh at my dad's mom because she would "Almost give as much as her dinner," mom always teased.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• I tip 15-20% normally, a little more for really excellent service, a little less for extremely poor service.

• The avaerage tip around here is about 20%.

• How about you guys start paying people a fair wage? Never understood why the customers have to pay for service separate. Not like you can wait your own table, the service is essential yet an extra cost...

• Because, tips help to ensure that the waiter is friendly and timely with the customer. It is also a way for customers to reward waiters who work especially hard.

• If you're doing that job it is your duty to be timely and provide good service. A tip us when you think the service and good was worth more than what they asked and was deserving of a gratuity. If people were paid enough they wouldn't be so miserable while they worked.

• Waiters are not always friendly, and tips give the customer away to show his/her annoyance without having to complain to the management.

• The minimum i do is 15%, 20% if service was amazing

• 20% is average I think. That's what I would do

• I tip 20%

• 15% or $5, whichever is higher.

What Guys Said 16

• I aways do 20% of cost + tax because figuring 10% and doubling it can be done whether I'm sober or drunk.

For large gatherings, they typically include a 20% tip into the cost, but under normal cicumstances 15% is the minimum paid by you on top of the meal cost. You have to take into consideration that many waiters/waitresses in most states are paid less than half of minimum wage and are taxed on an expected income of 15% tips. May not seem fair, but that's how it works.

• I usually do around 15%, but 10% at minimum

• What ever evens out the bill.

It's it's 36.50 I leave 40... etc.

I'm Canadian though... not American.

• 15%

Filler

• 18% is fair in my opinion. If i am sitting at a bar i usually try to give about.50 -$1 / drink depending on the difficulty of the drink to make, so that comes out to be about 20-25%

• Most restaurants have a suggested tip amount on your receipt so I go by that, the tip is more if your bill is more.

• 20% for average-good service
    15% for poor service

• I consider 20% to be nice and fair.

• I give a dollar for every drink I have, but never leave less than $5. I rarely get food when I go out, I like cooking at home.

• I do about 20 because it's an easy percentage to figure out.

• 10 for less than stellar service, 15 for friendly enough/no negative feelings, 20 for excellent service

• I don't go by percentage. If they did a great job they get the largest bill in my wallet. Sometimes it's a five sometimes it's a twenty.

• depends how hot she it lol

• I do 20%

• I would tip higher to a very timid person

• zero.