How come most americans don't know the difference between a Race, Nationality and Ethnicity?

It seems like far too often I hear americans i meet use all three as interchangeable synonyms

There was a graduate from Johns Hopkins University i met yesterday (which is supposed to be a good university). She asked me how I felt about the Brexit and that we should be upset about it because "it makes the uk a part of something greater" and that "you don't want to exclude different ethnicities. It's a bit racist don't you think"

I also hear Hispanic and latino/a used as interchangeable synonyms and confused with race and ethnicity

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. I always think I am bad at Geography till I read the news about this Miss USA who is from Indian descent (Nina Davuluri) get called a 'terrorist' for winning the pageant a few days after Sept 11 LMAO! At least it makes me feel better because I used to think that I was stupid but there're more stupid people outside there :)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• give a good formal definition of all 3 that dont overlap at all

• Nationality - the country you're born in
      Race - one of the distinctive physical races of Asian white black
      Ethnicity - the culture you inherit from your parents

• That's stupid , uk is smaller and it isn't America in land mass where they can just keep taking and taking more people that will entrench the English culture because of their greed for the pound currency but really do not contribute or enhance it.

• They ve probably seen the dangers already of what it feels like to be in germany's position and their stance on the rapefugees. Better to get out now than never.

• Because we're all melted together at this point

What Guys Said 7

• Because most Americans are stupid. A couple IQ points above actually being mentally retarded.

• Ignorance.

• What she said makes sense.

• I think she's confused. Most Americans I know are aware of the meaning of those terms.

• You have a very severe prejudice!

• Because they listen to their precious media. And oh, don't forget the "one-drop-rule."

• Ikr.. If everytime I get a dollar for Americans saying Hispanic as a race.. I would have been a billionaire