ISIS and religion?

I've never been religious and all the crap in the world with ISIS etc puts further doubt on religion and a higher being.

Is this affecting peoples faith in a god?
If there is a god, why is he letting this barinless vermin ruin his world?

Most Helpful Girl

• Where I come from there are 'protestant' terrorists like the UVF, UDA, and a number of other smaller organizations; and 'catholic' terrorists like the IRAs (plural!). In reality, the motivations for the conflict are not religious at all, and the sectarian divide serves to obscure a material one; the divide between the colonized Irish and the settling British.

ISIS do not take Islam more seriously than ulster's Orange Order take Christianity - a number of them are extremely serious preachers who go out to the people and speak of the Lord, even in the pouring rain or hail. However, the glorious reformation isn't what inspires these moving ascetics to take up arms and murder innocent people. I imagine it is much the same with ISIS.

• It is said that suicide bombers shout out god is great or similar just before they pull the cord and blow themselves and others up. Your answer was detailed, I'm guessing northern Ireland? I'm in England and have seen the destruction of IRA etc. So do you think all of this would happen if a god existed? I do not and that is my opinion and reason for not being religious. I get that people follow a god for comfort and forgive truly barbaric events, however, I cannot believe a gid would allow it to happen in the first place. Always an interesting debate and my feeling is, ISIS and other terrorist groups will push others away from believing. Especiall younger people and that would be devastating for the future, as billions of people rely on the comfort of their beliefs.

• the '50 virgins' thing is a myth, no one believes that. Anyway, I think what ISIS promise is moreso revenge for the atrocities comitted by U. S. imperialism than rewards in heaven. They can point to the millions of lost lives and destroyed cities and say, 'we need to fight back.' They are fascists preying on vulnerable and traumatized people, but the conditions that create the desire for revenge are an equally material factor.

• Some ugly drugged up wannabe terrorist might be persuaded for 50 virgins. ;-)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• I hope the vast majority of people still knows that terrorism has no religion, I'm an atheist by the way.

• Its what they claim, its not my opinion or belief. I have no real belief in any religion or god. Its just always an interesting debate.

• If I'm understanding you right, I'm guessing you're putting forth "the problem of evil" philosophical argument. That is, if evil like ISIS exists, why doesn't God lift a finger?

This argument works only for non-deist gods, that is, gods that interfere in humanly affairs. This comprises a huge portion of gods found in today's leading religions worldwide. I can't think of a logical idea that reconciles the idea of "free will" whilst simultaneously answering prayers. The very notion of free will puts a huge dent in commonly held beliefs about gods found in the major religions.

For a deist god, however, its morality may not be the least bit identical to human morality. Considering that morality is inherently subjective, its not logically sound to dismiss the idea of a deist god based on the fact that his inaction does not favour mankind. I. e.

• They claim it is god will for them to do it. I say its just an excuse and no god exists and in time this will put off people from religion. My opinion only and not seeking to change others beliefs but this does always open a good debate.

What Guys Said 5

• People always suppose that the eventual bigger consciences have to care.
    Why do they? Just necause they created? Or have an influence? Or maybe they exist but didn't have any responsabilty on existence?

Who started that idea? It only comes from human made items, driven by faith.

They can exist and don't care. They are independent things.

• Because people have free will, and have to take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences of those actions (eg, the toppling of Saddam Hussein's dictatorship leading to the birth of Islamic State). If this 'God' didn't let these vermin do what they decided to do, then those people would be brainless- they would merely be puppets of that 'God'. Hypothetically, a God would let them do this because it respected their right to free will and individuality. This isn't 'his world'- this is our world, which merely exists as an infinitesimal part of the God's time-space continuum.

• I am not religious but I don't like to see religion and politics mixed. Religion to me should promote peace and harmony for all. I think most religions in their purest forms are like that but crossing the lines leads to confusion and reality becomes blurred around possibly the most obvious global/religious/political issue at the moment - ISIS terrorists are Muslim but not all Muslims are terrorists.
    Back to your point - People are letting their religious beliefs becomes divisive - Instead of looking for differences - People should be saying "Cool you believe in a different deities to me (or in my case don't believe) but we all have the same genuine aspirations at heart, the betterment of humankind" - Say for example if someone finds a cure for cancer I don't care if he is Christian, Muslim, Hindu or an atheist.

• What isis had to do with Islam? They freaking kill Muslims , and they tried to bomb the prophet's testing place and people still they they are Muslims? Plzzzzz

• Ah I'm not associating ISIS with a particular religion. These suiside bombers etc usually shout something about god prior to pulling the cord! Its more about there being a god, would a god of any religion allow this to happen. I have many Muslim friends and they too hate ISIS and other groups and also think it is ruining religion and beliefs for people that these scumbags use religion/god as an excuse for their actions.

• More that these people spoil religion. I'm not religious and my main reason is the likes of ISIS using it as an excuse, I don't believe a god would allow it.

• God gave us free choice firstly , and they use relgion to reach thier goals but actually they do it for politics not relgion at all

• Ever wonder why ISIS is so strong... FEMINISM... created pussy good men. Now women and the rest of the world will become bad because women destroyed masculinity. Just wait and see. Soon women will shut their mouths and get f*&^%$# up.

Destroy feminism and watch how good men will protect once again.