Have you ever yelled at a retail worker?

I work in retail, as a cashier. So naturally I'm sometimes the only worker that the people who shop where I work come in contact with. And if they're having a bad day, they want to tell me... as if I have some psychology degree or want to listen to what they have to say. (I genuinely don't care what happens in their lives, but I pretend to anyway.)

Anyway, getting yelled at has become a near daily experience. Not by my bosses, but by the customers. So far it's pretty much only been over having to ID people for alcohol sales. (My state is SUPER strict about it, and no way am I losing my job for not IDing someone). Anyway, most of the time, people are down with it. They just reach pull out their ID, hand it over, NO ISSUE. But sometimes, even if the person HAS their ID, they just don't WANT to show it. And they for some reason always think like it's my PERSONAL decision to make them take one second out of their day to look at their ID. So anyway, yeah, I get yelled at a lot for that. As do literally ALL the other cashiers. For the most part we're all pretty desensitized to it. (though occasionally someone from another department will come down to help on the registers, and when they get yelled at for it they genuinely look concerned, and freaked out, where as the regular cashiers, we just kinda stand there like "Mkay, you're yelling, I'll just stand here till you shut up and leave".

Naturally these people look ridiculous standing there yelling at someone who has literally no control over anything in the store. But how many of you gagers have actually yelled at a retail worker?

• Yes I have
  • No I haven't
  • Other (Explain in opinions please?)

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't yelled, but I did call one "dumb bitch" before leaving.

The point was she asked me for some form of ID when I was buying cigarettes (didn't know I look THAT young), so I gave her one (ID card) that proves I'm way over 18, but she refused to sell cigarettes because... document passed expiration date!

When I pointed out that regardless if it's expired or not, it doesn't change my date of birth, for a second there was a look of confusion and realization of her stupidity on her face, but then she again said she won't sell them, saying that she's still not convinced I'm over 18 (do I really look that young?).

I said out loud "what a dumb bitch" and left.

• That was 100% NOT her fault. I completely disagree with the way you handled the situation. In most states in the US at least, we're supposed to check ID if the person looks UNDER 40. Regardless if they look even 30 or something. And we're not allowed to sell if the ID you've provided is past expiration date. She was just doing her job, so why should she risk being FIRED because of YOUR issue?

• No, but that isn't the cashier's fault. It's against policy for us to sell such items to people with expired ID's. We have no control over that. If you have an issue, you take it up with someone else, but that cashier literally couldn't do anything for you. WE HAVE NO POWER. We're just trying to get by. And the fact that the cashier actually refused the sale, despite you calling her a "dumb bitch" actually proves that she was the opposite, as rather than risking her JOB because you wanted your little fix, she still said no and followed the LAW.

• I've shown an expired ID before and have never had any problem. She was just being a pain in the ass.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have not because yelling is painful but most importantly that's just rude and disrespectful. I've worked as a customer service representative and had to deal with difficult customers all the time. Now I have a different job but I still have difficult customers from time to time. People like that think they're better than you simply because of your job title. Some people make it an effort to ruin other people's day because they're utterly miserable in their own lives. I'd never treat another human being like that especially since all they're trying to do is their job. I treat everyone with the utmost respect. From the janitor, to the McDonald's cashier, to the CEO. It doesn't matter what position you're in, you're still a person.

• Exactly! And what they never think about is like some of the other cashiers are like me, just teenagers who are trying to put our own asses through college. Like I know a dude who also gets yelled at all the time by customers for the same reasons as me, customers often treat us like we're just stupid and have no "Life goals" because we work in a grocery store. However this dude has a scholarship to a UNIVERSITY, and is in his first year at said university. So like this university dude has to deal with being talked down to over really DUMB stuff, that the customer doesn't even realize makes themselves look completely stupid. It's just like "Shut up, you don't know me"

• Oh my goodness haha. How about when they're both like "I'll pay!!" and start flailing their cards in your face. :D

• Yeeees "PLEASE JUST AGREE"

What Guys Said 25

• I have, but not for an obvious policy (and security) issue that I know they have no control over. The only times I've ever yelled is when they were either giving abysmal customer service or were incredibly rude directly to me. It takes a lot to get me upset normally.

On the other hand, I've given a few cashiers and managers "the look" and that was enough for them to know I was seriously pissed and that they needed to get their act together - and they did.

But I *also* make it a point to ask for a manager when someone has been especially helpful and let their manager know how much I appreciated their help. Exceptional behavior, good or bad, should be noted. Routine behavior is routine, and doesn't need special attention paid to it in my opinion.

• No I control myself - Taking your mood out on an innocent is the lowest of the low especially if they are obliged to stand there and take it - Funnily enough I was stopping over in O'Hare airport, Chicago for the first time in my 30s and was getting my ID checked everytime I bought a drink, I was thrilled that I looked that young until maybe the third drink when I realised everyone was carded, bummer.

• LOL sorry about the airport carding. I know how disappointing it is, as I said, I have to card people every single day. It's the LAW, not because of how young someone looks. However if I card them and they act all flattered that they "look young" I just go with it. Not gonna be the one to rain on their parade lol.

• I haven't but some policies in the UK are so dumb. Quite often I'm doing my shopping in Aldi. Because they trying to save money on wages, they hiring as cashiers people under 18. But these people are not allowed to sell alcohol. There are 6 tills in our Aldi. Several times already happened that on 5 tills were these young cashiers and all of them in the same moment needed manager's approval for selling alcohol. Can you imagine how long does it takes? Especially on Friday or Saturday when most people buying alcohol. I still don't get this kind of stupid behaviour and why shops are allowed hire people under 18 on this kind of positions. So this makes me upset, but I know it's not cashiers fault, neither manager's fault.

• Yeah none of us have control over that, though where I am at least they ONLY hire people old enough to sell EVERYTHING for those positions.

• I'd probably only yell if they fired off a gun I was buying or something. Other than that, there's not much to tell about. I might get upset in my own head of the cashier is an ass though. I was a cashier in high school, you don't have to have a constant grin on your face, but do not literally make my day worse. Most rational people realize ID laws are strict; if they don't that's there problem

• Yeah, just the other day I had a woman trying to INSIST that it was ILLEGAL for me to ask to see her ID when she was buying wine. She threw a whole fit and demanded to see multiple managers and then proceeded to shout and scream about how what I was doing was illegal and they were all trying to calmly explain to her that "no, we HAVE to ask."

• No. I only yell at cobblers.

• Never even if my life seems to be falling apart. If she or he asks me how my day is going I'll just be like I've had better days but going home soon! Lol.

• See I don't mind that! Just don't pour your heart out to me. Like I had a woman that held up my line because she was telling me about how she cut her wrists and her dad just died and I was just standing there like "Wow, this is uncomfortable, does my face look sympathetic enough? Probably not, I should try to look like I'm gonna cry. How do I do that? Never mind, just shut up and nod like you get it"

• Hey to each it's own. You sound like you'd might be good in sales. Give it a thought. Would be better money especially if you get with the right company

• I don't know, because as happy and upbeat as I am, I'm also not very good when it comes to actually making conversation and talked, so sales probably wouldn't be great.

• Having worked retail,
    No, these people are doing an extremely stressful job and I've no desire to add to it

• Some people just don't understand. They seem to think every worker has complete control over every department and price in the store.

• I know I've been there, they are morons

• No, I have not. People are retards. I show my ID because it shows that I'm young enough to be carded - which some people see to be a compliment.

• No I haven't because I've worked in retail and I know how miserable it is. They don't deserve to be treated like that.

• I work in retail. Haha I seen how frustrated people come in and vent their frustrations at some of us and it's not cool. Nobody wants to go through that. Don't be rude to them, they some work long or sometimes short shifts to make ends meet and they don't deserve that.

• I did once. I was 17 at the time, and I was driving my disabled grandmother to the grocery store. She was 78 years old at the time and the cashier asked for her ID because she bought a bottle of wine. I was pretty damn pissed.

• Yup, I've been yelled at for that. But it's the law, and no cashier wants to lose their job because someone is old and buying wine. Which WILL happen if said cashier is caught. (Which happens FAST, like they're watching us at all times. I had a guy steal a candy bar from my register aisle, they caught him immediately and informed me of what he'd done.) Plus we never know when someone might be working for the law, and are only trying to buy the alcohol to see whose following the rules. A girl from my work actually JUST got fired for not physically checking the ID of a SUPER old guy when he was buying beer. So yeah, just trying to explain WHY that cashier did that, and please never yell at us again. We have no control.

• See and we understand. We're still people, but I'm glad you understand it now. Like we do feel bad when we have to do that, especially to a disabled person.

• Like I said, I totally get it.

• No. I have worked retail myself, and would never do such a thing.

I treat all customer service people the way I wish I had been treated.

• It's the way cashiers ask for IDs, drop the attitude and ask nicely it is a much more positive experience for both of us than angerly barking for my ID.

• We don't do that where I work, especially me, I've been told by customers that I'm super polite, sweet, and smiley, and I STILL Get yelled at JUST for asking.

• of course she was a stupid cunt that didn't do her job right.

• Not yelled but been yelled at. Also when I refuse to negotiate on the price. If it comes to €16.25, that's what you have to pay; saying you only have €15.00 is white noise.

I sympathise. But working in a shop allows you to see all sides of life.

• No. If I'm having a bad day, I'm not going to dump my frustrations on a complete stranger.

• We appreciate you keeping your complaints in. And I mean that.

• It's not terrible, it's like one person every day or two, but there is a lot more nice people than dicks.

• That's good to hear.

• No, I treat everyone with respect unless their behaviour suggests me to do otherwise.

• Nope

• Lol many times

• can't you tell by looking at someone if they are adult or not?

• Usually. But we HAVE to ID EVERYONE. Or else we WILL lose our job (not even a question, especially since the laws recently got stricter), and then we could also end up with a heavy fine or even JAIL TIME. Something that no one wants to risk just so SOMEONE ELSE can get a little drink. Though there are cases of teenagers (especially girls) who look a lot older (especially with the use of make up) to make themselves look older, as well as teenage boys who also just look older. For example I sold this dude cigarettes once, he legitimately looked like he was in his LATE twenties, but because he at least looked under 40, I had to ID him anyway. Turns out he was only 18! And then another time a dude who looked about 17 and turned out to be 23 when I ID'd him for Alcohol.

• Nope, I've been one before and certainly understand their plight

• A guy like me would so yes

• no. only cunts.

• I did say "you're kidding right?" to a girl that carded me for chew. At my age I seriously don't look 26?
    If I asked her for a date she would have told me to beat it you old pervert.

• No I haven't

What Girls Said 23

• No, I'm not a fucking asshole who yells at people who are just trying to do their jobs who have ZERO control over the shit they wanna complain about. I have bitched out people who tried bitching at retail workers, fuck those people.

• Yes I did once at Forever 21...

I purchased a ton of things, including two cross-over bags. One of them apparently they forgot to remove the white security chain. I noticed that the night. So the next day, I went there and I explained the situation and I showed the receipt I purchased it.

She blamed me on trying to steal the bag (how stupid is she? I showed the receipt...)

Then she started saying that she cannot remove the security chain I should have noticed that yesterday... I tried to calm down.. But she was being a bitch, and she started talking about the return policy. I am like WTH I am not returning it, I am kindly requesting you to remove the security chain...

So I had to yell at her and ask her if she is stupid to read the receipt and understand what I told her... Her manager came, listened to me, checked the receipt and the product, and apologized thousand times and she finally removed the chain.

• That is stupid. There are dumb people everywhere. Maybe she was new or something? It sounds absurd and confusing on her part.

• Exactly... Like I really try to stay calm when something is wrong when it comes to waitresses/waiters and retail workers.. Like there are crazy people coming everyday and they might be too busy dealing with people. I understand them that their energy might be drained by all those as I worked in both sectors during undergrad years... But like this one really deserved to be yelled at. So I am not sorry.

• No. That's not the type of person I am. I don't act rude to someone on their job & make their day suck. Another reason why is because I worked as a cashier before so I know what it's like to deal with people with terrible attitudes. I wouldn't tolerate anyone yelling at me though, like what's the worst that can happen? I get fired? Ok well, there's other jobs. If it's affecting u (I know u said ur desensitized but u did write about it on here) then u should look around for another job then give them ur two weeks notice when u land the job.

• But all that would accomplish is getting another job where I get yelled at by customers. For now at least, I'm not yet qualified for much else. However where I currently work is an AMAZING work environment. Like I LUCKED OUT with my job. The bosses are ALL like super chill and awesome, love the people I work with, and it's FUN. The writing about it was mostly just because I tend to ramble, and like to explain myself on why I'm asking some question.

• No it's not the retail workers fault that they have to enforce rules that are given to them in the guidelines. People are just annoying like that. They want someone to yell at and you become the target. As for me. I don't yell at retail workers. They like many people are doing their job. If by any means they are being rude or have bad customer service then I'll contact their manager. Easy peasy.

• Hmm I get extremely angry when someone yells at the worker (no matter what kind of work they do).
    I liked one guy in the university then I saw that he yelled at the security police and I lost all of my respect to that guy.
    I hate when someone yells at the worker who they consider to be in the lower class than them. That's something I will never do no matter where I am in the life.

• To specify, I don't mean that workers are 'lower class', just some people are too arrogant to some kind of workers.

• Nope. I've expressed frustration when they haven't done their jobs - being a fellow cashier until recently I was understanding in 99.9% of situations but I knew when I was being bullshitted and I didn't back down.

• No, I haven't. I don't want to make an ass out of myself for something that the workers cannot control. They don't want to be yelled at as much as the customer doesn't want to be upset, hah.

• not me.

• No, but I'm VERY ashamed to say I once threw a hissy fit in a Taco Bell. I felt terrible after, and that was my one and only try at being a baby (in public).

• Well I don't blame you. I once cried in a shoe store. I didn't yell at anymore, but I was just frustrated because they NEVER carry my size ANYWHERE. At least, not in stuff that's actually good, usually in womens sizes the only items in my size are absolutely ugly, or I have to go to kids and look around at all the fake bedazzeled heels and dora light up sneakers. What'd you throw a fit over?

• omg, we have opposite problems but it still sucks :/ so bad. The clearance rack... just size 6 shoes ,</3
      The burrito I use to get was down sized by corporate but I didn't know and bc several months had passed since the change, no one in the store told me/remembered. And it was still like 3 dollars. My sister told me a few days later when we were catching up. I felt so dumb afterwards. Never again.

• I worked retail for 5 years, I would and have never.

• I never will either. And I've had people completely screw me over, and I'm always just like "mkay." because I know how it feels. Everyone should work retail. EVERYONE.

• Never!

• Nah. I'm more of a help myself shopper. Usually when I go into a store I know what I want, grab it and leave.

• No i haven't, and never would. It isn't fair, they just work there, their life is hard enough without me taking my problems out on them

• I would never! I work in retail and I could go on all day about all of the times customers have given me attitude over the littlest of things.

• Same. I haven't even worked in retail that long, and I know that some customers are just AMAZING, and you hope you see them again, however the ones that are bad...

• Where do you work? Where I work I'd get fired lol. And I mean where I work it's pretty chill, but they do want us to be friendly because that's like one of the main things of the store. Plus it helps our bonus.

• I work at a candy store and my managers don't tolerate that kind of behavior in our store. It's supposed to be a family friendly environment and people like that spoil the fun for everyone. We've had to call the cops before on customers for threatening to harm us.

• No I wouldn't.. that is very rude.

• I wouldn't ever yell at a retail worker... That's so rude.

• no..

• No, and I never would. Whatever the issue is isn't their fault.

• Nope.

• My dad did yell at and threaten some people at the vet though. We had been there for hours and they refused to give us our dog back even though they had called us and said she was ready. They deserved it.

• I worked in retail at one time so no.

• Yes, a lot. I'm a bit hot tempered so I yell at a lot of worker who upset me. (Like they treat me like an idiot, etc...)

• Just once. I felt really bad, but this worker at Bath & Body kept getting all in my personal space and trying to push items on me when I came in for just one thing that hasn't been delivered yet despite being advertised. I felt so horrible after, but her continual presence and closeness wigged me out for a moment.

• I never would because I worked in retail for a decade. I was lucky I wasn't on checkouts but a manager on the floor and if they were too rude, I would walk away and let them scream at the food instead. Idiots, get a life

• Yeah we at checkouts literally have no where to go. We're only allowed to leave the register if there isn't a line and we're putting stuff in claims, or to open up like a movie/medicine/razor case.

• Nah I like being a cashier. I don't mind to much being yelled at, I generally just let it go, and laugh about it with the next costumer. But I like the fast pace, and meeting the nice people. It's almost like a big game, me and my other cashier friend even treat it as a game. "Person who can keep the smallest line and check out the fastest wins". It's not a very strict game, and there aren't really rules, but it keeps it fun. Plus we get rewards for being good as a cashier lol.

• Well that's good then, don't let few nasty ones get to you then. I had so much fun working at the supermarket in grocery/chilled departments, selling stuff to people, packing it on, running around non stop, reports , staff management , all that. Good fitness haha I loved it coz its fast paced too, couldn't do checkouts coz I'm a bit adhd, can't stay in one spot but this was perfect for me. You reminded me of some real fun times, almost miss it now haha good luck!