Did we give enough tip? Our waitress asked for more?

So I went out to dinner tonight with 3 friends, so 4 people total. We ordered a drink and an entree each. The bill was a little less than 50. we each left $3 for tips.

So it it was a $12 tip for a $50 meal. I think that's pretty decent. Well, apparently it wasn't. Our waitress took the bill and the money and then came back and asked for more tip. That has never ever happened to me. I've never had a waitress demand a bigger tip. I mean, a tip isn't a must. This restaurant does not have a mandatory tip requirement for anything.

My friends felt bad and gave another couple of dollars.
We weren't a demanding table. We didn't ask for anything or return our food or acted difficult.

My question is, did we not give enough tip? Have you ever had a waitress ask for more tip? What would you have done in this situation? I'm still a bit baffled by this.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm biased because I've worked in the food industry in Canada where the waitresses make literally 3x what the cooks make. $3 on an entire table is plenty, in my opinion. I generally tip more than that, of course but, if the waitress ever asked for a larger tip, I'd ask for my entire tip to be returned then ask for a manager.

In America, it's a little different because the restaurant business doesn't pay their wait-staff enough and it's left up to the customer to pay them. Still, you paid more than enough. I would have been pissed.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think your server was entirely out of line. Tipping is a reflection on the server's level of service, expertise of the menu, level of personal attention given to the table just to name a few. If your server wants a generous tip then they better fawn all over you and know everyone by name by the end of your meal. One way to ensure a good tip is to comp an item or two off the bill without being asked, typically a kids item or low priced menu item. Also, level of tipping generally is left to the customer, unless it is a large party and it is stated on the menu that the gratuity is included in the price of the entire bill.

Having been a barista where tipping is normal for good service, I am fully aware of what it takes to get great tips. When I tip it is a straight 20% of the net bill (less taxes) . Your bill came to $50 so $10 would have been a generous tip based on what most people tip which is generally 10% or less. You have a right to feel confused about this, because it was just in bad form all the way around.

What Guys Said 13

• Wtf? You should have said "Here's a tip: don't ever piss off a customer. Bring your manager over to our table. NOW!"

$12 on a $50 tab is 24%. That's more than adequate unless the service was exceptional. If she wasn't under the table giving you each head, she has no right to demand a bigger tip.

• If I were you I would have left. You're under no obligation to give them one cent, you paid for what you eat, that's it. The service is included with the meal.
    I think it's rude for the waitress to come and ask for more money. It's extremely rude. If she wanted more, she should have done a better job.

• OMG no, never. She needs to be fired if she hasn't already. That waitress pretty much shook you down.

I would have used this as a teachable moment and told her..."look, if you want to keep your job demanding more than a 12% tip won't make that possible".
    If it's a small, family owned restaurant you should have let the owner know. That kinda' shit will ruin a business.

• The minimum tip and average that most people like to abide by is 15%. Even 20% is a good amount. But if the waitress was asking for more, they're in no position to demand for customers to pay according to their preference.

$50 = $7.5 tip 15%

$50 = $10 tip 20%

So theoretically, you guys paid over the minimum amount which is fine. You're waitress was wrong to ask for more. Tell the waitress next time to learn how understand tips better

• What a little you know what. That was plenty enough money for a tip.

• I dont need to do it. We dont have the habit. Sound like got shit after a meal that is not what you expect. If you make agreement before the meal. Will you feel better without arguing it? or use fixed tips?

• HAHA WHAT A C*NT

• That's an above average tip. What an ingrate.

• I would have said "I gave you $30?" and asked to see the tip, when she presented I'd take it and let her know in the future don't be a greedy fgt.

• its an ok tip. I've never experienced a waitress askin for a bigger tip. I would have told her to fuck off. I kinda respect her for standing up for herself though.

• You should of took the money back.

• That's over 20 percent, as a server I find that more than acceptable

• I would have told her "that's over 20%" IF I come back again expect less.

What Girls Said 6

• wtf? who tf comes back to ask for more?
    im so glad there's no need to tip in australia, id give that waitress a piece of my mind lol. i ain't stingy but that's just weird, like ur already paying enough for ur meal and these people are already getting their wages from the company. -.-

• i would have asked for a fucking manager. like is she fucking serious? had the nerve to ask for more tip? you did fine. i think 3 dollars a person is acceptable. all she did was bring out food and check on you. i dont know why waitresses act like they should be making doctors salaries, like be happy you actually got a tip and stop being so entitled

• Holy shit that's horrible.
    I know here tipping isn't a thing like it is in America, but from what I know usually it's only a 10% of the total you usually tip, maybe 15% . You did nearly 25% for a meal that wasn't even that demanding, no did you have complaints etc.

Should've just left and not given anymore!

• That is the silly thing about the US tipping system. In Europe they get a decent payment and a tip is totally free. You only give if you are really satisfied about the food and service and its a very limited amount. In the US, I tip 15 % (company rules :-) )

• I tip 20% for decent service, 25% for great service. 10% for crappy service. So $12 was a GOOD tip at nearly 25%.

She deserves nothing the way she acted.. asking for more tip money is in no way appropriate.

• Here's a tip for you, get a better paid job.

That's outrageous asking for more money, utterly disgusting. I would have taken back my $3 too. Cheeky bitch.