Can I die from eating sponges?

I've been eating sponges from my couch, my matress, my bras or I even buy it. I'm anemic and I've tried almost everything to balance my anemia. I don't know what else can I do to quite this addiction.
Do you guys know why do I crave sponge that much?

And please if you don't mean to answer without saying something stupid don't even waste your time trying to bring me down. Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't sound very good for you. Upholstery foam is probably made from nasty petrochemicals that shouldn't be consumed.

Severe anemia has been known to produce strange cravings. It's called pica. Usually dirt and ice are the most common cravings. I've never heard of sponge cravings.

Have you tried iron bisglycinate? I was anemic too and the regular iron supplements that the doctors gave me never did any good. I have digestive issues so I probably couldn't absorb it. Then I found this iron supplement www.costco.ca/...Plus-28-mg.product.100135331.html (Nature's Bounty Iron Plus)

45 minutes after taking one pill I started feeling better. It kills my stomach, but that's iron for you. Best to take it with food.

Most Helpful Girl

• You might have Pica. It's a mental disorder that causes the sufferer to crave non-food items that have no nutritional value, and is often accompanied by anemia (and a number of other issues). You should see a doctor, and ask about a referral to a psychologist who specializes in it. Depending on how severe it is, you might need to be treated in a medical facility where you can be closely observed.
    www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-pica

• Also, yes, it can kill you. It can cause a bowel obstruction, hinder you eating normal foods, and the chemicals in them could poison you.

What Guys Said 15

• In short, yes. They contain toxins including plasticizers, and they can also obstruct your bowel.

• by the way. Your disorder is called PICA.

• I will have to do my research on that cause I have no idea of what that is! Thank you

• Please get help. Plastic is bad for you. plus you could end up with an intestinal blockage or worse.

• From now on, only allow yourself to eat sponge if you first soak it in your own urine. This will either cure you of your obsession, or you'll end up with two addictions.

Based purely on a Google search, you may be suffering from a sort of OCD-like condition known as Pica. There are other sponge-eaters out there. Research your problem online, then go straight to your doctor and get a proper diagnosis.

• It's probably pretty hard for that to digest and pass through your system. It definitely isn't good for you. I'd suggest seaking some help. Addiction is a hard thing to tackle by oneself.

• 1. Yes
    2. Get some psychiatric / medial help

• i think its some kind of a disorder, you should see a psychiatrist and start a treatment

• Do you think my anemia has anything to do with that? I will see one! Thanks

• maybe, and no prob

• Yeah, it'll get you killed in time if you keep this up.

• yes you idiot... and i don't want to sound insulting but GOD are you stupid

• u went there huh? so low.

• @justbanANNAz if you don't like my attitude you can take a ticket cuz you clearly aren't the first sweetheart

• ok big boy ill "take a ticket" smh 😂

• No..

• You can cause a blockage and need surgery. Some people have tried this as a diet strategy to lose weight. Not a good idea.

• Yeah, you'll die.

• God :O..
    WTH!! How are you still Alive?
    Stop doing this please :(!

• probably not

• Start only eating sponges with period blood on them.

• Yes you can die. It's made from something not edible

What Girls Said 15

• You should probably go to the doctor about your bad diet. And take iron supplements or incorporate a lot of iron in your diet for your anemia.

• I'm not a doctor but pretty sure eating sponges won't cure anemia. It sincerely think you need to seek psychiatric help.
    Good luck. ☮💟😊

• It's not good to say the least. It sounds like you have Pica. Click the link below for some more information about it. I'd set up a doctor's appointment to see what can be done about this, so you stop eating sponges. Who knows what kind of damage it can be doing right now?

• Your ingesting poisons

• You have a disorder called Pica

• this is very unhealthy. i hope u see a therapist or someone who can help u out to shift ur focus from eating sponges to things that are good for u.

• Honestly I'd like to know how this shit started lmao. Like did one day were you so bored you just got curious like "MM GEE I WONDER WHAT COUCHES TASTE LIKE?" And just cut open your couch and eat a piece of it XDDD

• am not tryna be mean but you should really seek professional help to deal with your anemia

• Yes, you can. Talk to your doctor about this.

• See a doctor about this. Sounds like pica.

• Eating something that is not edible Can kill you

• Yes you can die from that

• Hey, I learned about this in a Food & Nutrition class that I took in high school. As other people have pointed out this is referred to as Pica and your anemia most likely has something to do with it. I once watched the Tyra Banks show and one of the girls was a vegetarian and had a habit of picking at her scalp and eating whatever came out. It was most likely because she lacked protein and that was her body's way of compensating for that? I have no way of knowing for sure but definitely get it checked out! This really can't be safe to ingest and I'd hate for you to endanger your life in this way. Good luck & I hope I helped! :)

• I never knew this was a disorder but when I was a child and a teenager I used to eat a lot of paper and was not able to stop it. It was termed as Xylophagia another type of PICA. I have no idea how the addiction stopped but I remember it was something sudden.

• Yes... Eating something that is not edible CAN kill you. Sometimes small amounts are okay, but excessive or routine consumption of non edible objects can cause death.
    People die from eating hair, rocks, and who knows what. I'm sure they can die from eating sponges too. It gets clogged in your system and you can't digest it.