What has been your interaction with college fraternities?

We all know about the parties and the drinking and even the date rapes, but is there more?

Every time I drive by one of the houses, there's a girl crying out front. What's that about?

Do they try to control people? Blackmail people?

What is the extent of everything they do?

Most Helpful Girl

• I haven't had much experience with them. My schools had them, but there was never much issue with any fraternity.

• I heard they do nasty things.

• Some of their initiation routines/rituals, stories of rape, stories of drug abuse, that sort of thing.

• Yea but it's something about the control they have that intrigues me, if such a thing even exists.

Most Helpful Guy

• Being the vice president of a college and also being sober most of the time due to being a diabetic I probably have a unique onsite you are looking for. Most colleges get a bad rep, lots of students enjoy getting drunk and going out to nightclubs at this age anyway and all a college does is remove the element of going out and instead keep the party going within the college. It just takes one idiot to do something stupid like break a window, get in a fight, throw a bottle, and that ruins the night but when there are multiple idiots then you get events like the ones you hear on the news.

As with girls crying, often when girls get drunk they react differently and being at a college age they are often in and out of relationships and getting drunk just brings out those feelings. Its rarely them being treated poorly from my experience.

I live in Australia though so things may be different overseas but all in all colleges are just set up to help new students enjoy their university experience and provide a social group they can fall back on if needed.

What Girls Said 1

• When I did my undergrad, the university that I went to had banned fraternities and sororities so I don't have much experience with them. Here, where I'm doing my masters, the frat just seems to be full of ugly dudes who got kicked out of on-campus residence for sexual misconduct (aka they raped or assaulted someone more than once). Apparently their parties are half-decent, but they play shitty EDM that I abhor so I have never gone. Plus I feel too old for that nonsense now.

What Guys Said 3

• Usually the girl got rejected by some random dude and sometimes they're just drunk. Bruh, way to pull out every negative stereotype about frats. They really aren't too bad (most of them). I didn't join one, pledge and never would have, but it's not that bad

• I've seen members who are shy kids just looking for a way to make friends. They get set up on dates, etc. I've also the pussy rich kid with his parents money. I went to a pledge party once and gave my name at the door and suddenly had everyone and their grandma calling me by name. I think I wrote my name on a paper, I don't remember. They seem like they intrude in lives in an uncomfortable way and may try to dig up dirt just like Scientologists do. I've also known some who think it's a way to make "business connections.'

• I knew some sorority girls that would joke around about blacking out and waking up with cum on them at frat parties. To my extreme surprise (and discomfort), they laughed it off like it was no big deal.

• I know for a fact that that happens.

• we dont have it here because our education system is better