A question for southerners, HOW IN THE HELL DO DEAL WITH THE HEAT?

I mean here in new england its ninety plus degrees daily and on occasion like maybe once or twice a month it gets 100 plus but rarely more than 101 or 102
I can deal with that kind of things out west as its a dry heat but in the south its frequently like that only with the eastern humidity.
How on earth do you deal with that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah the humidity makes it hard to breathe most of the time but honestly you get used to it after a point.

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in Texas and I have days where I have to yardwork in this heat and humidity. I remember when I first moved to Texas when I was younger that it was pretty rough. I drank quite a bit of water in that first two weeks lol. After awhile though, you get used to it to an extent. I just try and get my outside work done early in the morning to have it be slightly cooler.

Generally though, you basically stay inside where it is cool when you can, and you just accept it when you are outside haha.

However, if the AC breaks / power is out (like it was for some week or two during hurricane Ike), you just sit by the window hoping for a breeze and slowly sweat/drink water. It's kind of miserable, but there often isn't much of a choice. The worst is when you get wet from the humidity and become almost sticky from it.

What Girls Said 12

• It's been really hot where I am from too (I'm in Canada). Today it felt like 40 degrees celsius, which feels like 104 in Fahrenheit. It's HOT! Yes, it does get this hot here in Canada too! We get the humidity pretty bad a lot of days.

The best way to deal with it, if possible, is to seek out Air conditioned spaces. If you do not have air conditioning. Find a friend who does and hang with them. Go to restaurants, coffee shops, libraries and other areas where you can kind of hang around for a bit.

Drink LOTS of water, staying hydrated really helps. Do not do a lot of physical activity. If you like to be active, do so in the morning and late evening. That is when it's cooler.

Wear loose fitting clothing and try to stick to fabrics which are breathable. Fabric like cotton is the best in the heat. Wear sunscreen, and try to stay in the shade. Wear lighter colours as well.

Swimming is a great way to stay cool and at the same time get exercise.

I also like to take multiple showers in one day. That sounds tedious, but even a nice rinse is refreshing!

• stay in air conditioned places
    dress for the weather. wear light fabrics and lots of sandals and shorts

if you're a guy you'll love the south - girls tend to dress skimpy as hell in the summer!

• I live in Southern New Mexico and this has seriously been the hottest summer. Not only do our summers last until November and start in March but we have days where it's 103, 104 and what not. We even have 30% of humidity which doesn't seem like a lot but it really is. I just stay inside as much as I can lol.

• See, Its not to me,
      Having been to the southwest, that shit I can deal with,
      Hell I like the southwest

• The same way us northerners deal with the cold, by sucking it up.

• probably the same way you guys deal with the cold. I have family in upstate NY and they swear they can't even breathe when they come down at Easter... and its not even hot to us yet. LOL.

• I'm from Italy. I don't mind the heat, but humidity is horrible.
    At least we don't freeze during winter anyway :P

• They stay in the air conditioning from like 11am to 4pm when the sun is strongest and buy extra tires because they always explode on the blacktop from heat. Or that's what I noticed last time I visited Texas in the summer

• I live in Mississippi... and it is hot. But I never heard of tires exploding

• Those people have blowouts... not because of the heat

• @Rissyanne sorry I used the wrong term but heat does make it easier for tires to have blowouts

• Lmao you think the heat is bad? The humidity is amazingly horrible...

• Thats what I clarified in the description the heat I can deal with, the combination of both is what is bad

• humidity sucks

• I live in the Deep South. All I can say... ITS HORRIBLE! We do have air conditioning. In most movies this is how they portray us... sweaty... holding a glass off iced tea to our forehead... kids running around naked... and in the background.. a table fan with the blades moving very slowly.

• You don't leave the AC room

• I live in the lower Midwest and we have the worst of both worlds. Cold in the winter and swampy in the summer.

I work outside a lot and carry a huge jug of water with me that has 1 cup of ginger tea in it to help fight off heat nausea. Sometimes I'll freeze a water bottle and it'll melt and be cool longer. A wet towel on the neck can be helpful, too. Sunglasses with dark tint are a must, as are extra shirts since you sweat through them in minutes it seems. Some juicy cool fruit like peaches and watermelon are a nice treat.

What Guys Said 9

• We simply get used to it. When you've been living in a particular climate for years you begin to expect it and don't really pay any attention to it. It's the same reason why you Northerners can withstand that cold weather or why people in the Pacific Northwest region can withstand having little to no sunlight for most of the year.

Also as a southerner I can ask you the same thing about that cold weather. Down here in Florida, 60 degree (Far) is cold enough for us to take out the winter gear and cancel our beach plans. How you guys can withstand temps below that is remarkable.

• You simply get acclimated to it. And the humid Southern heat does have its advantages (or at least the humid part). In the winter, I sometimes get dry, itchy skin, but in the spring, summer, and fall my skin feels great.

• haha lots of water and shade my good man =P

• I mean you have the worst of eastern humidity and you are even hotter than here and its been pretty damn hot lately.
      I work on a farm and I'm in the sun so i can't imagine what its like down there

• I've always wanted to see the phillipines, did you like it?

• loved it and im thinking bout moving there.. lol

• Because you know how much worse it is being below 7

• Having had both at one point.
      7 below I can deal with

• Having had both points as well, I can't. I'd rather live and it be 100+ than it being under 10 (and windchill) and/or having to shovel and drive in snow. Winter up north can suck a fat chode 🖕

• It's all good we are pretty much used to days getting up to 105 degrees in the summer and hot Christmases too. It snows in Texas every 10 years or so

• I love the heat SSSSssssssss I'm a snake.

• Water, a lot of water.

• Well you kinda get used to it.

• We just deal with it lol