Can doctors treat their own family members?

Or are they immediately transferred to another doctor, even if that is their field. For instance a young woman having vaginal/pregnancy issues but one of her parents is an OBGYN.

0|0
3|5

Most Helpful Guy

• my dad is a doctor and he says you can however, many don't as they become too emotionally attached and thats the last thing you need if you are a treating someone. He even told me he would not want to do an operation on me and would rather let someone else do it.

1|0
    0|0
    • yeah you're right.. it would affect their performance

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of my family works in the hospital. I've been treated by my father before though I guess he's not really a doctor, he doesn't exactly diagnose people, he puts casts on broken limbs (which does have a title that I've momentarily forgotten) and he put a cast on my broken arm when I was younger. I would assume that for something more serious, a doctor would be asked to step aside because of how they could quickly become emotionally compromised.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Where possible as far as I know they can't treat a family member, too emotionally involved.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have facts, but I'd guess they won't be doing any surgeries because the connection might effect the performance.

0|0
    0|0
  • My dad said he couldn't operate on me

0|0
    0|0
  • not doing so would be insane.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Sure they can

0|0
    0|0
  • I heard that surgeons cannot perform surgery on their family members.

0|0
    0|0