What makes people mature for their age?

Can young people be mature?

Most Helpful Guy

• Experience can determine your maturity OP age doesn't mean jackshit, just cause someone is 35 and another is 25 doesn't mean the 25 is less mature lol. You grew up around serious adults you're bound to turn into that or maybe a happy go lucky family you are bound to turn into that. Whatever you experienced or embodied through your life so far will determine how mature you are. So I guess I should say your environment AND experience, sorry.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not gossiping
    Not constantly putting people down.
    Able to keep a secret of a friend and not blab it all over.
    Doing what you say and saying what you do.
    Having integrity & self respect
    Showing up early--not just on time.
    Respecting people
    Doing the best you can at your job
    Calling your grandmother just to say hi.

Just because someone is young doesn't automatically mean that they can't possibly be mature. It happens.

What Guys Said 14

• Yes they can. Because I see a lot of adults on tv sometimes (who are going to be running the government no less) being real immature. I've worked with four and five year olds more mature then them.

• Yea, it's a shame Hillary acts the way she does isn't it?

• @Telekinetic-Potato didn't think you would appreciate a 47 minute documentary plus there is nothing wrong with a little humour

• @wankiam Right, so why are you using humor like something you would see in a Leslie Nielsen movie to make an argument against what I'm saying?

I mean one minute you're presenting it to me as though I should really re-think my position through it's lens and the next moment you tell me it's just a joke and bring up a 47 minute documentary that has nothing to do with what we've been talking about. Why are you so incoherent in the way you speak?

• Yeah. that's a myth.

• Having kids for one.

• Not that I am one, but would you consider drug users to be mature or immature?

• I ask because people from all age groups do them, yet they do them while disregarding the legal and health risks. That's why I've always deemed drug users as somewhat immature for their age.

• Using that argument, people who drink and drive would be considered immature, but I consider them irresponsible.

• Maturity is not just one set in stone thing, you can be more mature in one way and less mature in others. Or in my case I was very mature for my age in most areas however i was still a goof in a few areas.

• having a true understanding of the human condition and ability to accept difference

• Yes , myself included.

• I think know some can be but I don't know how specificly some just seem older

• Life events, life philosophy, respect choice of others people, patience, work hard for your own project, have an independant opinion.

• a proper upbringing and experiance

• Being responsible and having a lot of responsibility from young makes you mature fast

• Being reasonable.

• Not always the case but sometimes going through hard shit when ur young. Makes u grow up.

• Young people can absolutely be mature. I've found that maturity changes drastically and there are ages where certain levels come

In their mid-20's People usually have been hurt a lot. They have been betrayed they have experienced loss and hurt. They are now mature enough to realize trust must be earned. At this point in most people's lives, we have developed an ability to read people. Not very well, but to recognize happiness and sadness, and to be able to pick out some of the emotions you have experienced before, but only some. You start thinking about the future, often not understanding what you want.

Thirties is a time where people tend to slow down just a little bit. People generally climb to the peak of a metaphorical mountain by now married, kids perhaps, college may be over, your career is in motion. You have had a pessimistic view on life long enough that you are slowly learning that nobody's perfect. We tend to think we truly know it all. How stupid you were in your teens and 20's the stupid risks you took the advice you never listened too. Now you are mature enough to dwell on the past even though people say not to. You are maybe beginning to understand things you didn't before. What love is, the value of life what your place is in the world. You are mature enough now to be self aware and to be more honest with yourself. Start to admit hard truths to yourself.

40-50's Is the time you have finally learned to think before you act. That even seemingly harmless decisions can change everything. You have heard and been a part of many stories and know how to use them to avoid headache. You're an emotionally stronger person now. More forgiving than ever. Bad things don't feel like the end of the world anymore because every time you thought it was in the past, life kept moving on. You do a much better job at putting yourself in other peoples shoes. You can start to understand people and their problems better than they can in many cases. You realize that even when you were thirty you were still a stupid kid who didn't know everything. You are now mature enough to understand that you never will know everything, in fact, you are constantly learning about life forever. Your opinions tend to grow weaker. Your stance isn't so important to you anymore. You just want everything to work now. Maybe it's a sign that you have become mature enough for compromise.

Then you get old. and you kinda just stop giving a shit

• Being honest with oneself when it comes to your beliefs, then applying that honesty to the critical thinking that should govern your responsible behavior.

What Girls Said 9

• I think maturity is the ability to step out of a situation, to look at something without bias.
    Someone who looks at the story from multiple angles and understands that a bad situation comes from multiple faults.
    Not someone that immediately sides with a friend without being educated on the entire situation.

• Now that you bring up taking sides with friends, some childish user I had an argument with the other day had her friend "back her up" simply because she was a follower. He said that was the only reason he was backing her up: because she's a follower. Not because she had any right points whatsoever. Then he blocked me after saying that I'm an idiot for seeking support from strangers. This is a Q&A website I ant it? The level of immaturity of many users here is just unbelievable...

• Very true!

• Exactly!

• I've always grown up around adults, so I hardly share the same sense of humour with others my age.

It's just what I do, what I think etc, not very 18-like.. lol

• Are you more serious than your similar aged friends?

• @Abe90 I'm glad that there are others who also feel the same way. I like people in older age groups.

• Some people feel the same about this type of thing.

• My coworkers say I'm mature for my age. I think because I'm not an idiot and know that when I'm working, I'm working. There's a girl a year younger than me who is constantly on her phone, and considering we split tips, it REALLY pissed me off. I've had to go out of my way to of her job because she was hiding in the bathroom on her phone. So "mature for your age" in this case is not being that stupid, and being the first to say something when the assistant manager wouldn't. I think "maturity" for younger kiddos is your mentality when it comes down to certain situations.

• I think there are a lot of things that make you a mature person except of your age
    For me it's all the things I experienced in my family life. That made me a more matured person for my age

• -Being able to handle rejection
    -Stepping outside of themselves and focusing on other people

• I'd consider myself mature for my age. Having stable emotions and being reasonable.

• Young people can be mature, depends on the amount of experience they were exposed to. Some are much than others.

• experiences

• if they can have intelligent conversation with adults xxx