If you had a time machine, would you travel to the past or go see the future?

Assuming you could use it just once (for a round trip), would go back in time to try to change something or would you travel to the future?

• Go back in time
  • Travel to the future

Most Helpful Girl

• If every science fiction movie and that awesome Simpsons Halloween episode with the time travel toaster has taught me anything, trying to go back in time to change things, or fix things, often has disasterous consequences. Like if you go back and stop the Titanic from sinking, then one of the people who lives, turns out to have a kid who ends up killing your Mom. It only doesn't happen, because the Titanic sunk, you know. Not to mention the past is not that awesome. The technology was different, people's attitudes were different, how people were treated is different. Granted this is like a day, sure, but there is always that thing of, what if you get stuck back there. Not that I know what the future holds, but I do know what the past was like, and often it wasn't good... so long story even longer, the future for sure.

Most Helpful Guy

• Future all the way, and as FAR in the future as possible, and I am assuming Planet Earth would still be around and intact by then and if it's not gonna be intact then perhaps on another planet, space station, or somewhere in a galaxy so far away beyond measurable by light years, somewhere really deep and far out in outer space or whatever you want to call it. And even if being so far into the future that meant humans either no longer exist or have been transformed, transcended, upgraded, evolved, enhanced, etc., etc. to the point that they technically aren't the same old regular normal fragile and vulnerable humans that always fight among themselves any more over petty little things, redundant things, material things, etc. The singularity is what I would want to see and confirm even if that meant going to 9016 A. D. or even 10,080 A. D.

Ideally I'd want to time travel to a future world and reality that is a completely peaceful world, an organized world, NO MORE suffering or the possibility of death, greed, hate, violence, prejudice, injustices, hardships, illnesses, idiocy, and pretty much everything relevant to all the bad things in existence. But I just know and think that it can't ever happen while everyone and everything is just mere mortals with so many vulnerabilities and limitations and restrictions. To go to a place where humans if any are left are completely evolved and transformed BEYOND human where all of those bad things had entirely utterly become redundant.

What Girls Said 21

• If I could only use it once then wouldn't that imply I could only go one way, and not use it to make a trip back to present time?

In which the time travel to change future events would be pointless because I wouldn't be alive to witness the change I made.

And if I travel to the future, I lose the ones closest to me sooner than I would remaining in present time.

• I would not wanna spoil the surprises of my or humanity's future. So I'd rather go back in time and witness the events I love to read about in history.

• I would travel to the future, so I could see if some of my dreams will come true. And if my life will get better.

• future, the past alrdy happened so i couldn't gather too much info but knowing the future would help me so much.

• I would go to the future. I've already seen the past.

• Id never want to go back in time, I would most definitely would LOVE to see the future. Because you can always change the future but never the past.

• Future. I'd be too tempted to fuck with the past.

• I wouldn't wanna change my past. But I would go to the future and learn the history. So I pretend I'm predicting everything once I'm back.

• Future because they haven't made it so humans can live forever yet.

• Back in time to see some religious miracles myself so I can be religious if it's true. If it's not, I'm getting a tattoo because I'll never have any doubts about atheism.

• See the future

• Go back in time but I would change anything. Everything that happens to you is a part of you. When I come back I might be a completely different person living in a completely different world.

• go back in time

• I have at least one thing in my past that I would like to change.

• I can read in books about the past, but not about the future. It would be cool to go back in time, but I'd rather see what things are like in a few thousand years.

• Vote B. Just to see if any of my predictions came true.

• I'm go back in time when people actually could think and not have their Facebook to a cell phone

• I'm going back in time.

• I'd travel to future

• I'd go back in time! There are things I know now, when I look back in hindsight, that I didn't know in the past when certain situations were happening. I would go back in time so that I could apply the information I know now and try to prevent/change things. I know life is about learning and you can't change the past but time travel would be nice sometimes! :)

• I want to see the future

What Guys Said 30

• I'd take a little cruise to next Sunday morning to write down and memorize all the winning lottery numbers possible, then head right back.

• Future, come back and become a billionaire knowing what will happen. Changing some event in the past would probably pale in comparison.

• I am always killed by my love for Star Trek. You cannot break the Temporal Prime Directive, if you go back and change something, the whole of time is changed from that time on even your history. Say you go back and kill Hitler as a young man who is to say that the social/economic conditions did not bring someone even crazier to power later and more heavily armed who went on to win World War 2 that was fought between 1955 - 1960.
    So I would travel but not interfere.

• Hehehe... Great answer. 👍

• Kill Hitler?
      Hell no!
      I would go back with information and technology that would (a) avoid the war, or (b) ensure that Germany won.

• To 2017, buy the WSJ, come back and buy some shares or bonds in good currencies now. :)
    Billionaire in 2017! :D

• Time travel is impossible. At best you'd be traveling to a parallel timeline but not to your own past.

• I'm going to the future baby I want to see the technology we come up with, the space colonies, whether we find life in the universe and how the world ends you know what the past leads to and I am way more curious about how our world will look in 10000 or so years.

• I want to go back to the past.. there is a lot of shit I really want to fix but at the same time I want the future so I can change the present... for fucks sake I don't knowww. Someone decide for me and I shall choose.

• Well i would assume you couldn't change anything in the past because it would have already changed, unless parallel universes existed, then I could change some mishaps and maybe save my sis from dying.

The future would be nice to know what path your heading down and how long you live to make the best of it.

• I would travel to the past, to change some things, that will result in better future eventually ;)

• Being black, I think the answer is quite obvious 😑

• Go back in time, learn about the things we still can't figure out. I would never want to see the future. I could see my own death or the death of someone I love, or worse.

• Definitely go back to the past. There are some things I really wish I had known that time, so I wouldn't have let them get away. I also have some memories to visit and some deep regrets to fix.
    For the future, it's always a surprise and I wouldn't wanna spoil any surprises.

• the future, i will also take footage and come back to the current time.

• past... fix some things

• Travelling to the future would be like assuming things, and I'd rather travel to the past to learn how to design the future.

• Back about 15 years probably, and put a stop to the rocky path my mum ended up on leading to her death last year.

• I rather go to the past, leave the future a surprise

• Future is useful. Past is not.

• I would make sure Id have the perfect life. A decent job, an ok wife, 4 squares and a roof.

• The past, but not too far 😛

• I would go back in time and coach my younger self using the wisdom I acquired from my mistakes. I may still be young, but I am a lot wiser than I was when I was in high school.

• I don't want to change the past because that would likely mean that I'd never be alive. B.

• I would go back and live my life again, and fix all the mistakes i did.

• I would go to the future, I'd like to travel to some other galaxy.

• I would never back in time cause I'm black 😔

• Time travel to the past woulf create a paradox, so it doesn't exist

• The past. I have some stuff I need to fix.

• This is a tough one. Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time and change a certain point... HOWEVER... if I could see my future and what I become, maybe I can prevent something from happening or make my future better. Lol.

• Travel to the future and spend a few (hundred) hours in a holodeck having sex. Erm, I mean seeing how humanity has progressed.

Go back to roman times and experience having a harem of hot women.

And then go to the future where women don't play mind games and reward good guys they claim they want!

Pls check this out: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2046147-is-a-woman-more-likely-to-be-openly-sexual-with-someone-who-isn-t

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more