Can a tattoo look elegant? Or just always 'trashy'?

Most Helpful Guy

• On very, very rare occasions I've seen a tattoo that looked elegant on me.

One was on a man I saw in Hawaii who had some kind of Salmoan-style pattern which followed slightly below the clavicle area in a small strip. He had a very tanned body with a skinny surfer kind of build and the tattoo just seemed to complement his physique perfectly.

Another was a woman who had a tattoo on a her, similar in coverage/location to this one, except it was a more Asian design:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...e757feb684.jpg

In particular I remember the woman. She was the owner of a night club and wore a black dress with her back revealed, showing off her tattoo. She had a long neck and slim shoulders and wore her hair up in an elegant way. The tattoo become a focal point initially, but then you notice the elegance of her back, shoulders, neck.

• Another was a woman who had a tattoo on a her [/on her back], [...]

• Thats so prettiiiiii

• Yeah, the guy I described in my opinion could have actually been a Maori or other islander (from the cultures where tribal tattooing actually originated). Had the right complexion, hair, and everything. Although I mostly just saw the back of him (he was walking in the same direction as traffic, on a one-way street).

He probably wasn't Maori, the original and most advanced of tattooing tribes -- just since there are so few Maori anywhere outside New Zealand, much less here in the middle of LA. But he def could have been Samoan, Fijian, Tongan, ...
      He had the kind of body that clearly *wanted* to be a lot bigger than it was, but he had done a damn good job of not letting that happen thus far.

Most Helpful Girl

• It makes them look like they are marked for being someone's property instead. Or trying to prove to society they stand up for something.

What Guys Said 14

• I can't imagine a tattoo looking elegant. Tattoos and elegant don't really go together.

• Tattoos don't always look trashy. But in my opinion no way can a tattoo ever look elegant. They can still look good though.

• On a woman? Trashy.

• And on a man?

• Oh i get it. People who have the -dont mess with me- or a resting bitch/douche face can rock the tattoo look...

• Not necessarily. I can't really describe it. Most of the women with bitchface that get tats look even trashier than they already did.

• yes they can look elegant if done right..

• Yes it can, I like a tattoo

• I like tattoos... they can look good if done right

• Doesn't matter. Tattoos are awesome regardless

• I have 3 and they all look "trashy", "trashy" is hot OP

• I love them and they look elegant to me ❤

• i think tattoos always make you look like you live in a trailer park.

• Tattoos can look elegant. Depends on the design.

• nahh tats can't be elegant

• Hate them. On anyone

• Thats such a lovely quote. Is that from bible or something?

• There are actually bible quotes with that yes

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• I saw a man last summer in downtown LA, walking his dogs, shirtless. He had various other tattoos, but the pièce de résistance was this BEAUTIFUL pair of solid black tribal angel wings.
    The wings "sprouted" from a Sacred Heart of Jesus icon in the middle part of his lower back... expanded over his entire upper back and shoulder blades... and then the "feather tips" continued all the way down his arms, with the last few tips just a few inches away from his wrists.

All done in solid black tribal -- but, what made it even more fantastic was, the tattooist had clearly drawn the entire pattern around the contours of this man's muscles.
    The "wings" traced the exact outline of his deltoid muscles as they curved over his shoulders; they were perfectly integrated with his shoulder blades and rear delts; and they even followed the heads of the triceps down his upper arms.

I really, really, REALLY should have taken a picture. But, alas, all the lights on 5th street are timed to turn green in sequence, so I never had the chance. Probably the only time I've ever wished I've gotten stuck at more red lights in this city...

• Mine are done very well I've been told, paid a lot for them, and you can only see one in my wrist if you make it out through my jewelry, and the top of the one on my back in a normal collared shirt. I think some can definitely be trashy, but I don't think all are. I'm not a fan of women with breast tattoos, or bicep tattoos on woman.

• Most of the time I don't find them Elegant. Only 1 on 100.

• It can look elegant if it's of an elegant thing. :)

• Honestly it depends on what you get and who does it!

• It can, if the design is pretty, the body part well picked and it's black

• Tattoos can be very elegant you just have to get them done professionally. They start to look bad if they are poor quality. But honestly I love tattoos so my best advice would be get them if you want them and wear them proudly.

• It can but not everyone likes them. So to those people, it'll always be trashy.

• Some can be elegant