I need help please, extreme fear of flying?

So I think I've developed a severe phobia of flights now, especially after what happened today... Extreme turbulence and an horrible horrible landing I've never experienced before in all my life. The plane jolted to one side during landing with massive impact, and especially with family on board next to me I was absolutely petrified for them. Afterwards I was panting, in shock and almost had a panic attack. I know this is a 1/1000 incident but I am dreading literally dreading the flight back and I don't know how to overcome this fear. Especially after my last flight 2 weeks ago where the plane bounced off the ground when landing... now this has just amplified my phobia even further. Always used to love flying now I think I've developed a phobia of flying.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

So many amazing answers. Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had serious anxiety with flying too!! Especially when there is turbulence! This may sound kinda cheesy but try a breathing technique! Maybe inhale for 6 counts and exhale for 8 counts. Also, I noticed when I'm freaking out internally, I look around to see if anyone else is getting nervous. If no one is freaking out then there is no reason for me to do so. Lastly, a lot of flights are offering Wifi now so maybe download a good movie that will distract you!!

• Turbulence is the worst Haha. Definitely will try the breathing techniques to and music I listen to a lot.
      Thank you! :p

• No problem! I hope one of the techniques will help🙌😊

Most Helpful Guy

• The plane swinging to one side is because the pilot has to point the nose at an angle to the wind which means he has to straighten out the moment the main gear touches the ground. The big impact is him essentially flying it into the runway to make sure the tyres get traction and so that he doesn't either bounce or skid - normal thing when it's a little windy. It's well below what the plane is designed to take :P.

Bouncing the plane usually happens to newb co-pilots fresh out of flight school who are afraid to put her down hard - they overshoot the markings, panic & end throwing it down TOO hard which means they bounce.

The plane isn't deflected all that much unless it's exceptionally windy, if you saw it from the outside you'd laugh - it's just magnified inside and probably by your own mind. Then there are limits to how much wind there can be before a pilot is not allowed to land.

Most people scared of flying are much better once the entire process is explained to them.

What Girls Said 5

• I suggest you read all about landing and bouncing and pretty much everything there is to a flight.. it helps when know the reasons to why something happened.. makes it a lot less scary

• I am afraid of flying as well. I haven't over came it so I do not know what to say. Just I can tell you what I know, that sometimes fear of death is worse than death itself. I mean fear doesn't change anything it just makes our life worse. I know it doesn't help, but I want you to know that I feel exactly like that and many people who are flying are feeling like that but they are still alive.

• oh man I love flying my mum on the other hand is scared af
    in which company airline do you go to
    and was the weather bad?
    honestly I suggest you just tag along someone to distract you, or take a drink or a pill to sort off sleep your way through it
    I agree with what cindi said too. that s a good advice

• Why dont you lie to your mind and cheat your brain that this fear is not real because you are already safe and the bumpy landing is just like going over a speed bump when you are driving?

• Use a better airline. I fly all the time and this never happens.

What Guys Said 16

• Don't sweat it, bro, you just gotta let go and let life happen. Odds are you'll come out of it fine. And anyway, if you die, I'll be right behind you and we can b 2gether 4eva👻❤️👻

• I've had a few sideways kind of landings, especially in this smaller airline plane we had to take 4 times a month. Rebounded back up pretty well and was at an angle because of the crosswind. One we had lightning and the worst turbulence I've ever seen haha. You might get a jolt, whiplash or minor injuries, but once you're on the ground, even if the landing gear gets ripped off, I imagine it should grind to a pretty gradual halt. No instant deceleration like a head on car crash, more of a somewhat gradual loud, bumpy, halt.

Just can't be scared by that kind of stuff I don't know, it's so unlikely to kill you. Unless you're flying over a warzone like a few planes did in the past few years.

Also if the chance of a shittier than regular landing is 1/1000 you should be set for your lifetime.

• Once I'm seated in the plane I'm OK.
    Airports, check in lines, ID controls, security checks, boarding lines, later trying to get my luggage back, then trying to get a taxi.

I just HATE the airports.

• Okay first remember that you are FAR more likely to be in a car crash than a plane crash, second more often than not in a plane crash most if not everyone survives.

"Always used to love flying now I think I've developed a phobia of flying."
    Also you think thats bad, my dad spent 12 years in the U. S Air Force and has Always been afraid of flying

• How about this, your more likely to die in a car crash then you are to die in a plane accident, planes are the safest method of travel.

• Jesus that sounds mortifying... can you listen to music on planes?

• Well you can die in your bed or on your bike literary anywhere lol don't worry brah it's just a plane , listen to some music , or pass out and make them out you in the plane lol

• Just go on it lol. There is nothing to be scared of. I can remember when we was landing at Newark the plane couldn't land for a good 30 minutes due to lots of wind and bad weather and the landing was rough but it's normal. Everyone on the plane goes through lots of training and they are prepared for every possible outcome. Anyway the chance of anything happening is so small. Your moreply likely to be in a car crash.

• You may just want to SAFELY AND LEGALLY sedate yourself
    If you'd like to infer how you can reply or message me if you prefer
    Glad to be of any help

• Dude I ah e the cure alll. 3 words

Mile
    High
    Club
    XD

• As both an airline captain and licensed therapist, I've specialized in treating this problem for many years. The problem is this: in turbulence, the plane drops again and again and again. Each drop causes a part of the brain - the amygdala - to release stress hormones. When the hormones build up, they cause the same physical feelings and emotions that are experienced in genuine danger, and thus it becomes impossible to believe you are safe. The only way to end this problem is to prevent the release of the stress hormones that cause it. The amygdala can be inhibited by oxytocin. Thus, we need to cause the brain to produce oxytocin throughout the flight. This is done by using an exercise to link the various things that happen on a routine flight to a vivid memory of an oxytocin-producing situation. The exercise has to be set up properly, and it takes an entire chapter of my book, "SOAR: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying" to teach a person to set it up. The book is available on Amazon where it was named Amazon Editors' 2014 Favorite Book. Read the reviews and you'll see why. It works.

• you're more likely to die in a car crash.

• Cars are statistically more dangerous than planes

• You're only 40,000 feet above the ground, what's the big deal?

• just think about how you will die instantly if it crashes, which it will on your flight back xx

• Get your own plane.