Why do people hate on stereotypes?

Stereotypes, like it or not, are there for a reason. There's always SOME truth to them.

I'm not saying that they should be taken so seriously that they form a rule of how someone perceives another person who is stereotyped as x or y.

But it doesn't make sense to completely disregard them either. There's always SOME truth to them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Stereotypes are based on truths, yes. But they are not ABSOLUTE truths. When you start using stereotypes (often negative), to judge others you don't give them a fair chance and might miss some of the good aspects of their personality. When you go into any situation or say with a negative outlook, chances are you will see things negatively.

For example, the BLM isn't trying to deny that black men are statistically the most likely to be criminals or harm police. What they're mad about is the STEREOTYPE that because a guy is black that means he must be a criminal and with bad intent. And this causes officers to literally jump the gun because they assume every black man is like the past 20 or so they've dealt with.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm... yes
    White people are racist pedophiles and wish to join kkk.
    Black people all sell drugs and shoot everybody.
    Chinese want to steal your pet for tonight's dinner.
    Arabs are all trying to sneak into your country.
    Muslims are all collectively planning terror attacks.
    Gay guys are all basically females but with beards and dicks.
    Lesbians all look like Meg Griffin, some hench masculine women.
    Curly haired girls are always feisty and fun
    fun.
    Blondes are all backwards.

Hmm... what a world we live in.

What Guys Said 14

• I'm assuming you've never been part of a group of people to be constantly, and wrongfully, stereotyped everywhere you go.

For me, I am black, trans, and bi.

Stereotypes for black men are: Thugs, gangsters, rappers, dead beat dads, welfare, and otherwise ghetto. There are more but that's a few.
    For trans people: Confused, perverted, god-less, child molesters/pedophiles, its, drag kings/queens. There's a ton more but that's a few.
    For bi people: Really confused, whores/sluts, desperate, thirsty, sex crazed, can't make up their minds, indecisive, always experimenting. There's a hella more but that's a few.

There's more I could list but my entire life is full of nothing but negative stereotypes. So until you have a damn cashier follow you around the store because of the "black people all steal" stereotype is attached to your skin color, you really have no right to get mad when people are obviously pissed at stereotypes.

• I don't think it's morally right to treat someone differently based on faith and not evidence. If an individual gives you sufficient enough reason to not want to be around them that's fine. Don't just paint an entire group of people with the same brush. Nobody likes to be treated that way and nobody deserves to be treated that way.

• Yeah whenever I almost get rammed because someone can't recognize a stop sign it's always the stereotypical ones... lol

It can be oversimplified, of course it's pretty hard to be accurate 100% of the time. But stereotypes are a common belief for a reason.

• See i dont like stereotypes because its about a generalization.. like here in korea they think black people are dangerous.. they think white men will abandon their daughters after they have their child.. and divorced men are all cheaters.. is there truth to this? ya for each fucking group but to generalize a entire group of people for the actions of a few is wrong..

• because the SJW culture has fucked them up beyond all recognition. these people are micro managers, they want to tweak an entire society so precisely as if they were playing a civilization V. these people are bat shit crazy, just let them ramble on social media, i will live in the real world.

• Because most of the time, it's bullshit. For example, people call me a terrorist just because I'm from the Middle East. I happen to be Christian though. The terrorist that come from the Middle East are Muslim. So I kinda just get lumped in with that whole category which really isn't fair.

• It's fun to embrace stereotypes to get hated. It's fun acting like a neanderthal sometimes lol. To your question.. you're absolutely right but social justice warriors will never comprehend logic lol.

• "Stereotypes, like it or not, are there for a reason. There's always SOME truth to them. "

That's a myth.

• I think people hate on them is because they know there is some truth to them. And like we say in Texas, "Most people are allergic to the truth".

• The reason it's called a stereotype is because it's not always true

• Sure. But it shouldn't be regarded as nonsense either

• A lot of things aren't ALWAYS true, I don't think the baseball one is a thing really. Only heard white guys can't jump.

• @posted Lol yet lots of em r in the olympics for that

• It's the generalising that I cannot stand.

• Only some truth, but not everyone thinks like that. Its always grey.

• Truth... mostly exaggerated truth.

• Because a lot of stereotypes have bad connotations to it. Ye there are some truths.. SOME, but people usually always think they are 100% fact which is toxic

What Girls Said 11

• Humans are not binary. We're pretty complex and it's not so simple to just simply label a huge portion of people as X or Y, in fact, it can be pretty dangerous to slap a label on a huge group of people. Often times, these stereotypes only constitute a small portion of the population. Confirmation bias however, can skew one's perception into anecdotally seeing these stereotypes play out more often than they actually do in reality.
    Joking is fine, but don't take it seriously.

• He said, "the actual goal of individual existence is non-identity; the discovery of paths of disintegration from institutions; dispersal from known territories; the exceeding of enviornmental constraints."

He (also) said, "By clown communism, I meant the potential elongation of the interregnum between slapstick routines."

ears/hear

• honey, you know that the world is currently structured into a bunch of classes that, mostly for arbitrary reasons, wield more or less power over the other classes, right? Stereotypes are there to maintain the status quo. Hope I helped #StayWoke #WakeUpSheeple

• Stereotypes are hated because they are reductive and because people cannot, in general, avoid forming rules of how they perceive a person who is stereotyped as x or y. It's hurtful when people only use stereotypes as a means of getting to know people instead of taking the time to get to know them as individuals. I don't think that we will ever be able to do away with them entirely either, as I don't believe that humans are collectively smart or empathetic enough to do that.

• Because they're so damaging. People are going to judge them before even getting to know them. That's not ok

• Stereotypes can be funny if the person using them is clear that they mean no harm. It's when people ASSume that some negative stereotype about an entire group or demographic is fact that it becomes a problem.

• Hmm.

See the thing with stereotypes is that they've been created for a reason. So there's a good chance that if you meet 'x' person who is stereotyped to be unkind by nature, statistically speaking, there is a probability that that stereotype can hold true for that person.

Not saying that that should form your belief about the person. But it could make you guarded around him/her. Plus it's not like you believe it about the person your'e just being careful the person has a chance to prove that perspective wrong from their behaviour

• Its there for a reason but jockboys use it for stupid sex jokes

• It's just gets old. And tiring. You get sick of hearing it. And too many seem to believe the stereotypes to be true/facts, pretty annoying in my opinion

• Because they are too general to be true

• There is some truth in statistics, but not stereotypes.

What's the difference? Context.

A lot of times, you change the circumstances, you change the outcome.

I'll use my "stereotype" to show an example. Im from white trash stock. We're supposed to be stupid, racist, drunk, pill popping losers. But it doesn't take into context what happened to the rural economy when family farms were taken over by corporation, the effect of big pharma and pill mills, the impact of shitty rural schools that can't afford technology and talented teachers and large swaths of the country that most politicians and philanthropists ignore.

What if those things were different? Would the culture of ignorance and poverty be different?

• Stereotypes lead to assumptions about others that can easily vary on a person to person basis. Uncultured people use stereotypes, so make it a goal to assume nothing about other people and get to know them for who they are. Everyone doesn't fit into a cookie cutter shape.