Do you believe changing how you normally dress changes who a person is?

When someone who normally wears t-shirts and jeans casually suddenly starts wearing like polo shirts and khakis? Something like that. Do you think it changes who you are?

@cinderelli @fauchelevent @meatballs21 @RJGraveyTrain @CocoRachelle @vishna @RedThread @Mustachekitteh @AzureGirl @Prof_Don @mooky06 @BelleGirl21 @EmpatheticLady @archiz @Smmyskittles @OrdinaryGentleman @This_is_my_username @justbanANNAz

Most Helpful Girl

• It affects you for a small amount of time. Whenever I wear my lab coat, I suddenly feel responsible, serious and mature. Same happens when I wear formals

Most Helpful Guy

• I like this question!

In and of itself, it does not change the core of your being. However, it can change how you look at yourself.

Some psychologists did an "experiment" (not sure if that's the right word) a while back. They had participants put on a white coat. Half of them they told that they were wearing a lab coat or something that a doctor would normally wear. The other half they told that they were wearing the typical butchers' garment. They noticed that the people who though it was a lab coat carried themselves and spoke a bit more professionally. I'll post a link to it if I can find it.

Depending on what you're wearing, it can make you more or it can make you less aware of your surroundings.

What Girls Said 12

• It means that they are trying to make a change in who they are. Your personality does affect your appearance. But, change doesn't usually come about through conscious effort and choice, it comes about through conditioning and circumstance, and it happens slowly over time. He or she is gradually required to make a change because of the forming of new habits due to limitations placed by other people. Anyone who tries to force a change will likely switch right back the moment they achieve the desired affect they hoped to gain through changing in the first place. Personally, I don't believe that anyone ever actually changes; we just learn what to let out, and what to keep inside.

• I thought this was going to be about the Transgender Conspiracy at first. I think it normally reflects a change in their conditions - what made them buy new clothes? - which will also cause a change in their character. Both share a common cause but nota causal relation, I guess.

• No, but I guess it can start changing your mindset and improving your confidence.

• Nah, I don't think so. They could just be trying a new look.

• No, but it might increase their confidence :) and confidence has the power to transform.

• It doesn't change you. You're still you. In different clothes. But you might feel better and a little more confident if you're dressing better

• no i don't think so

• Not really.. they're just dresses

• Not really but it might an affect on your mood.

• i don't think it changes who the person is

• No. I don't think it does

• No, not at all, how you dress is something external, how you are it's something internal, I've changed the way I dress many times, actually I'm always wearing different styles and I'm still the same person

What Guys Said 7

• Generally, no. But if you were to wear a uniform with a higher rank, then yes.

• I notice but I don't think it changes them - I saw it with some my male friends, they were total tshirts and jeans guys then their first long term girlfriend got their hands on them, all of sudden very stylish but underneath it same guys,

• Nah clothes are just clothes to me.

• Yes, it might be not who you are anymore xD

• Not really. I'd hope that one has strong enough values not to permit this.

• no they don't change... but the way people judge them does.

• It doesn't change who you are, but it can change the perception others have of you. It's very interesting to think about whether an object possesses a property, or whether it merely appears to possess a property based on the context of the object.