Why do security guards follow people?

I don't think I look suspicious or anything, I've never stolen anything. I don't get why, but it has already happened to me. Like today, I was shopping with my mother and noticed this security guard staring at me, he followed me around the store, staring again. I thought it maybe had nothing to do with his job but I wasn't wearing anything revealing. Last time I have also been followed by one, he also talked to another one watching me until I left the store.
What kind of people security guards follow exactly and how can I do to prevent it from happening again? I'm 17

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe because you're a teenager and more prone to do stupid things like stealing, just for the sake of it, for the thrill.
    When I was a teen sometimes I got suspicious stares from the security guards or the store clerk.

• I know they don't trust us, in fact when I'm with friends employees stay near us but the problems with security guards only happen when Im with my family

Most Helpful Girl

• I had security guards following me, but that is because I'm black. They already assume I'm going to steal something because of my race. When I know that anyone, regardless their race can be a thief.
    Anyways, maybe he was following you because he thought you looked suspicious (NOT saying you do). Or maybe because other girls of your age do steal.

What Guys Said 5

• the guy was a perv and was probably talking about some things you would rather not know about. security guards are wanna be cops that have ego's that could block out the sun. i have seen several court cases where Mall security has been fired and or arrested because they used the 2 way mirrors in women dressing rooms to see the girls naked.

• That's totally disgusting but thanks for the answer

• Like. On Facebook?

• Lol when I was 17 the girls I hung out with stole booze in their purses. That's probably why

• how else do they flirt.

• Theyre just very suspicious people

What Girls Said 1

• It's because you look suspicious (your young and young people stole more than older in general)

• I knew that but in fact it doesn't happen when I'm with people of my age, just my parents. I know when I'm with friends, shop employees tend to stare but I have no problem with guards

• guard too follow me. You just overthinking