If a jogger runs at the speed of sound, can he still hear his iPod?

0|0
3|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Hypothetically, yes, because the headphones will be stationary relative to him. The sound coming from them wouldn't be interfered with as a result of the speed he's moving at because it goes basically directly to his ear drums.

Realistically, we'll never know for sure. Things travelling at the speed of light experience an increase in mass as well. Hell, the rate at which their mass increases will go beyond infinity. As would the amount of energy required to reach this speed so.. one can dream.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, because he is no longer a jogger. He is then a freak of nature. But, maybe yes? Because he is going at the same speed as the sound, so it might be a little slower than normal, but if he wasn't deaf from the sheer speed he was going, possibly.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on how the sound is getting to the jogger. Sound travels through headphones at the speed of electricity, which is much faster.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not very sure. Can u tell me the answer? Quite interesting question.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• Way to rip off an old joke "If you drive your car at the speed of light and turn on the headlights, will they do anything".. i heard this probably 20 years ago.

0|1
    0|0
  • Here come the physic nerds, I have know idea but a side thought maybe the jogger should think will the soles of their trainers survive, if not will their feet get wrecked.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, as the relative speed is still 0mph. His headphones are also traveling at his current pace, but if he was on a track with speakers then no, he couldn't hear those speakers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes he can

0|0
    0|0
  • yes but backwards

0|0
    0|0
  • Can you hear the music coming from your ipod on the plane? if so, question answered.

0|0
    0|0