Is it possible to live life without the use of credit cards?

I feel like credit card companies prey on college students and dangle them in their faces and I know I have to pay back interest and I really don't want to do that. I am thinking I might not need credit cards for the life I want. I have a good car that I bought from its former owner. I plan on building my own house (my house is going to be a tiny house like in the picture, you can buy kits online and have it delivered to where you want it built) the only problem I see is it will be a problem if I decide to order anything online and building my credit.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am right now. I used to have credit cards, and boy howdy did I rack up charges :( I have a debit card through my checking account, but I only use what I have on it, plus I always check my balance to see if I have enough to cover myself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I do it. I've got a debit card, of course, which takes money out of your checking account. The hardest parts are 1) keeping enough funds in your account for emergencies and 2) building credit.

What Guys Said 16

• I made it through college without a credit card. Don't plan on getting one anytime soon.

• Coming from strong finance background so read carefully.
    1. Yes, you can do very fine without any credit card for entire life.
    2. Credit cards will be problem if not used correctly, use it to buy things you cannot buy by paying in lump sum.
    3. They're used to build credit profile. Better credit profile means, easier loan sanction.
    4. Only use credit when required, if you keep hitting limits and hassle paying back, its not going to affect your profile.

• Using credit cards and paying them off every months IMPROVES your credit rating. If you never use them, you don't have a way to build it up. If you carry balances, that hurts your credit rating. So yes, use them, but PAY THEM OFF EVERY MONTH.

• You can still use debit cards to shop online, no?
    Can't speak for the US, where I live we don't really use credit cards.
    When people want to buy a house or a car they generally just take a regular loan.

• You dont need a credit card to order something online. Bank cards are enough. Just put money into your bank account and use.

• It's difficult to live without a credit card. You need a credit card to book a hotel room. You need a credit card to rent a car or a flight. Get a credit card and make a small purchase then pay off the balance. If you continue to do this you will build your credit. You will need to have a credit history in order to buy a car, motorcycle or house.

• i have never used a credit card or owned one, neither does anyone i know. we all use debit cards.

• If you don't want to rent a car or hotel room or buy anything online you probably could

• That's the only problem I have with this. I guess I could buy one, but use it strictly for online purchases.

• what about paypal? and i just buy stuff online with my debit card, it works for me.

• sure

but it depends on your country on how easy it is

• I have one, but I only use it for emergencies and online purchases.

• Of course it is.

• I like the house

• I can't say of America, I'm from the EU and I don't use one. In my country skimming is very popular (probably invented here) so it's not really clever to use cards. Like dipping your feet after a long trek in a piranha lake..

• Yeah, I grew annoyed of it and gave it up

• madness!

• I considered some bounce on black card. You just show it without using it. It is like a black guy, he change his name to null. It work on the pc world.

What Girls Said 6

• It's possible yes but it will potentially damage your future.

I didn't go to uni, I worked through sixth form and then went onto apprenticeship path, continuing working two jobs. I had my first car as a present from my dad (which was also kinda needed for something else, long story). I didn't have a credit card and I lived fine and happily off my debit card.

... Until I voiced the idea of buying a new car. In this country, to buy a car, a house, mortgage, even to rent, you need to show your credit history. That's a little tricky if you've never had credit. So, I got a credit card and I used it only to pay bills I knew had to be paid/were being paid for anyway. I put my petrol only on my credit card and half the time I got home and paid the credit card via online banking immediately. It meant I had a perfect credit history and getting a car was no problem.

Nowadays it's a different story lol. But my point is, it might be safer debt wise to not have one, but it might not do you any favours in the long run.

• Also the longer your credit history runs, the more chance you will get lower mortgage/better loans/ etc etc. So what I'm saying is start sooner and put rules in place to stop yourself getting into trouble.

• Not necessarily true. It depends on who your working with. You can get deals, but mess up your credit or don't be on time with your bills, it won't stay that long. And if your married, you pay double plus state and federal tax, and don't forget home owners insurance. Your rates still go up, and they can modify it at any given time to how they see fit. Miss it once or twice, and it's a overnight red tape package at your door step from your mortgage company warning your about possible foreclosure. Always update your knowledge, because it goes up and rarely goes down. And always remember to be in good standing with those you deal you finances with.

• Companies don't just get college students, they get anybody who is willing, even teenagers. The banks do it to. It's to get you further into debt and into a more cashless society. Its bad enough people can no longer understand the value of money is how they make it. It is very possible to live life without them, but at some point your going to need at least one credit card to help build credit to buy the things you need and want. Many essentials to adult life requires a home/apartment, a phone/cell phone, a car [if needed] and definitely a job. And if your looking to move to a different country, these things require that and doubled. Laws vary from state to state, country to country. I still haven't had a credit card. I alway relied on debit. But I will have one soon to establish something because I plan to leave soon hopefully.

• You need credit. You can establish that by buying things, like jewelry or furniture or a car. So, you can build it that way with a debit card... or cash.

Buying online is very much a necessity for a lot of people and a lot of items. That or you will need to do a lot of driving. However, you could simply have a debit card in which the money comes from your account.

It's possible, but you would still need a debit card.

I've never had a credit card, and I buy online all the time.

• it's possible.
    but its ideal to build up a good credit score so you can get loans in the future. You need a credit card for that.

• I think so. I won't be getting a credit card; or maybe a debit card would be fine.

• My parents do. Mortgage is paid off and no debt with interest.