Are these all the same religion or different ones (Orthodox Jews, Reform Jews, Conservative Jews)?

• Same religion
    60% (6)60% (6)60% (12)Vote
  • Same roots but different religions
    40% (4)40% (4)40% (8)Vote
  • Completely separate religions
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I didn't include "different sects of same religion" because that would be same as saying they are the same religion. The US Navy and US Airfoce are different sects of the US army. But the Navy and airforce of another country would not be part of the sect of the US army.

0|0
5|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Same roots but different practices

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If such a choise would exist "Same religions different sects" I would choose , but I said second , they generally believe in the same basics. Especially conservative and orthodox judaism are closer to each other than reform. Though different.. For example conservatives say gays come to synagog and worship although it is a sin they say. But orthodox jews definitely dont let.. Reforms already are comfortable with gays they let them marry in synagoge as all I know

0|0
    0|0
    • Doesn't different sects, mean that they are really all the same just different branches?

• Show All
    • You can convert to Judaism after a process which you have to make with a rabbi. At least 3-5 months takes. But if you do it in Israel maybe at least 1 year and an extra process before starting conversion process to trust you..

• all your questions are finished? :)

What Girls Said 4

• They are different denominations of the same religion.

0|0
    0|0
    • What does that mean exactly?

• Think of religion as like the continent and denominations are the countries. Or: you're pretty close with 'different religions with the same roots', but they're more entangled with that. The religion is based on a central set of written/oral traditions, which propogate the same ideas. But different people interpret and implement those ideas in different ways, which leads to different practices and different communities - a different discourse, the discourses make up a denomiation.

• You made a military comparison somewhere else. That the US army and the US navy are always at war together, they don't have different enemies and friends. It's an interesting comparison. Different denominations are sometimes at war with each other (re: protestants and catholics in old europe). It'd be like the US army declaring war on the US navy :P The organization is a lot looser, it is more like this: we are all human beings, we are all made of the same stuff, both of us have bones and both of us have blood, but we have very different ideas about ourselves and what we do very different things. We're still human, but there can be (a lot of!) conflict between us all the same.

• Same religion, different sects. The religion forms the base and the sect determines the cultural practices.

0|0
    0|0
  • Same religion omg 🙄

0|0
    0|0
  • They are different branches of the same religion (Judaism)

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• It does not matter.

Without a clear conscience, there books are useless.

In order to clear your conscience regarding "Holy Books" you literally have to put them down for several years and think about and work on other things.

When you distance yourself from something long enough, seeing what's wrong with it is a lot easier.

0|0
    1|0
    • I get you hate religion... why does that matter for this question?

• They're the same religion, but different levels of adherence to the laws. The laws are very complex and difficult to obey. An example would be never wearing clothes made of "mixed fibers." As you know, most clothes are a mix of cotton or wool and other fabric like rayon or something. The rabbinic law forbids the faithful from wearing mixed clothing, so only the MOST OBSERVANT Jews obey that law. the different"levels" reflect different levels of adherence.

0|0
    0|0
  • Same religion just different rules.
    Sort of like Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox are all Christian.

0|0
    0|0
  • They differ mildly in practices, but deeply in purposes, including political purposes. (Religion is not a matter of the angel-sphere, it's worldy and connected with society.)

Naturally, the Orthodox and Conservative share more similarities, compared with the Reform branch of Judaism.

0|0
    0|0