How much should I charge?

Where I live the minimum rate is 11.50 however I usually charge between 12-15 an hour where I live to babysit. I have to sit a kid from Friday to Sunday overnight, I was thinking $800? IS this too high? I've done full weekends for 1k before however the people are my grandparents neighbours and I feel awkward if I were to charge them that much. Basically watching him all day. What price would you charge?

I've sat for them before and it was 12.50/hr so by the end of 6 hours I walked out with 100 bucks. 12.50 x 24 = 300, 300 x 3(days) is 900.. so this is a discount sorta.. lol

Most Helpful Guy

• When you are sitting for 2-3 hours, an hourly rate such as you are charging is justified. However, most people charge substantially reduced rates when they receive a volume of work from one client. I think $350 for the weekend would be a generous fee.

• Thats what I was thinking, I was nervous to ask for that much however my grandfather was telling me to charge this and said this was a discount because theyre his neighbours. lol I guess its just hard because I'm basically giving up my whole weekend to do this so I don't want to charge too high or low.

Most Helpful Girl

• ahah girly! Don't listen to the other people on this thread -- they're talking from the bargain-shopper, *client* end.

This is BUSINESS.

In business, you DON'T get what you're "worth" -- YOU GET WHAT YOU NEGOTIATE.
    Period.
    End of.

__

Start out by EITHER (1) mentioning that you've done full weekends for 1K before -- giving a specific name reference if possible, or saying "I can give you name references if necessary" -- OR (2) breaking down the # of hours times yr usual rate, emphasizing that you will be "on-call" the whole time.
    Do whichever of these things gives the bigger number.

Then, offer a SLIGHTLY lower number.
    For instance, if the hours times usual rate is, say, 900, then say "Since you are a repeat / longtime / trusted client, I could do the whole weekend for [750/800/whatever]".

That's it.

Do NOT lower YOURSELF into the bargain bin! Smh...

• ... And then, be willing to "move" a little bit FROM THAT NUMBER if necessary.

Also, you should set an *absolute minimum* number -- and keep it in yr head. (Obviously, do not say this number out loud.)
      This is the lowest YOU ARE ACTUALLY WILLING to take for the job.
      If they go below this number... just walk away. If you get ABOVE this number... great!

• I came to the amount of 600 just because I charged my hourly for the whole 48 hours I think that's fair, not to mention it's my second time watching him and Its my weekend LOL

• Excellent. 👍🏽👊🏽

What Guys Said 7

• Family, friends and reoccurring loyal customers should receive discounts. Everyone else you decide what the price should be, though sometimes you may need to negotiate it if you want to be paid more for your work.

• You don't have to pay for any food right? What about gas or any traveling expenses? I'd take that into account. Have you worked with them before? I'd go with your normal fee range depending on how you feel best.

• Discuss with them an hourly rate. An hourly rate seems lower in disxussion than dropping "$800" once they agree to 11.50 or whatever, you calculate the outcome but don't tell them. Once it's over you say okay so 11.50$ an hour at (insert hours) and theybpay you and can't argue it once job is done or you slash their tires.

• lol i think you're confused

• charge 15 because you have experience and references.

• try $6.15/hr.

• Your time is valuable OP. Kids are also hard work. Tell them they'll get amazing care for 900

What Girls Said 5

• Never babysat but my friends who did charged half price for when they were intending to be asleep. I wouldn't pay that.

I run a specialised business which I have qualifications in, even at my highest charge I'm not that expensive and I'm not cheap.

Sorry love but personally I wouldn't pay it even not being related to you.

• No offence but the work I do, I'm trained in marketing, graphic design and photography.
      All you do is watch TV and cook frozen chicken shapes and chips. I could do that while doing my job.

• Thank you! I haven't known them for long but my grandparents have, I've only sat for them once before! So I feel odd but yeah I just said that I forgot I was starting at 6 on Friday instead of the morning and gave them a new quote! cheers x

• You're welcome.

You are in a position where you can be as kind of as cruel as possible. Discounts always make people jump so even if you set your rate higher you can offer an intro rate and if you don't like the kid, fine. Repeat customers deserve something off the top because they trust you and it will make them like you more and recommend you more. Even if it's a 5% off, people love s discount.

• are you crazy? You have got to be a troll

• How is that crazy, lol. I don't live in the states btw!

• I guess here its different, most sitters and nannies are above minimum wage. Caring after a child you're 100% responsible for them.

• yes I know you are but it is not that hard to make sure one kid is okay

• I don't know what's crazier. That our would charge one thousand dollars to babysit a kid for 2 days or that someone would actually pay that much.

• Its really not crazy, theyre going out of town and i'm watching that kid for 3 days, have to pick him up from camp and watch him till Sunday night. And it was last minute, I felt awkward asking for 800 but I know i've done it for more.

• Where I live, if you were good you could probably charge that. @ 15/Hour you'd need about 53 hours of work to justify that, so all day is I would say no. All weekend, yes.

• Way too freaking high!!