What is Cheaper: Traveling By Car or By Bus?

So I'm actually thinking of meeting a friend of mine for the first time in October. We've been friends for 6 months and we are ready to meet. He only lives 5 1/2 hours from me, which is the next state over. My car isn't the best and I'm scared to drive alone on the road. I do plan to get my own hotel room so I won't stay at his house. But what is cheaper? What is better? For a bus ticket one way to his city is $20-28. Gas prices vary but are usually $2.89-$3.75 a gallon. My car takes 14ish gallons. He wanted to come to me first but we planned an event in his town so we are both currently saving up for it. So any tips? I was thinking of leaving on a Friday and coming back on a Monday.

Most Helpful Guy

• The bus would be cheaper on the short end. But when you get there you would have to rely on taxi or cab services to move you about , that can add up pretty fast.

• Yeah that's true. :/

• Or even check your own town for any specials on weekend rentals

• Thank you

Most Helpful Girl

• The bus would probably be cheaper getting there. However, it'd take longer than just driving yourself and you'd have to figure out travel arrangements once you're at your destination.

What Guys Said 10

• The bus would be cheaper but take longer. It won't be cheaper by much though

• Hmmm... I say if ur car is reliable, I say woman up and drive! Plus a bus isn't the safest way to travel.

• Bus and by a lot. Like its not even close. Where I live it's $65 for a month long bus pass, so that's $780 a year. You probably pay more than that just on gas, than there's car insurance plus the cost of the car, whether you bought it with a lump sum or by payments you have to count that either way. And than of course there's maintenance.
    Yea, it ain't even close, the bus is much cheaper.

• There's more to running a car than gas. There's tires and brakes and depreciation (not much on an old car). Still the bus is almost surely cheaper.

• Bus. You also have to think of the west and tare on your car

• Busses suck. Driving is more expensive, but way more time efficient

• In theory the bus would be cheaper, but if you have to get anywhere else, you might wind up spending less if you go by car.

• Car filler.

• just take your car... 5 1/2 hours is about 300+ miles.. 14gallons should get you there.

• Bus.

What Girls Said 2

• Depends. Is your time cheap to you or you value your time?

• I believe by bus.