Thinking of Running Away?

I've been depressed in my life for a long time. I'm 20, live with my parents, jobless, boyfriend cheated on me a few months ago and left me for her. Family thinks I'm a failure, I'm a burden to my parents, recently started smoking to deal with the depression, I'm alone.

My life is a big mess and I want out. I want to get away from my circumstances. I have a friend I talk who is from Durban (haven't met in person yet but have talked over and on the phone for a year), and he offered to help me with money and a place to stay until I can afford my own place.

But I don't want to tell anyone yet. I just feel like I need to get out first.

Any advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• Find a volunteer job you can enjoy. That's what I started with. Worked well. Gave me a boost in my confidence and desire to move forward. You just need a push forward. Once you get through the first stage the rest will be easier.

Most Helpful Girl

• This all sounds like a horrible idea. I've been depressed as long as I can remember and running away isn't gonna make things better. Instead of going to live with some random person you've never met why not stay at home and try to work things out. I met a guy once who offered to help me out with my living situation and ended up getting raped so you have to be careful with that because this person most likely isn't who he says he is. Life sucks and is shitty but runnin away won't solve any of that. I've lived in my car, had my heart broken, had to search for pop cans on the side of the road to get money for food, was raped, I had a miscarriage, because of drama I've had to cut most of my family from my life so I have hardly no family and no friends and am all alone.
    I can't see how running away is gonna do you any good. Why can't you find a job and get back on your feet while living with your parents and save up money and get your own apartment and just work towards moving out on your own. Showing them your working toward a goal of supporting yourself and having your own place I'm sure they would be proud of you.

What Guys Said 4

• if i was you, i wouldn´t get in the financial dependency of that stranger... who knows what he´s up to, even if he sounds nice in chat or on the phone. if you´re alone, do community service or volunteer somwhere. this way you meet nice people and won´t be alone.

• If you live in the USA join the Marines

• If you're going to Durban then first meet that guy in person and then decide

• running away won't solve anything. and be very careful with who you meet online.

What Girls Said 2

• lol just no
    you don t sound mature enough to live on your own.
    first of all, people have things much harder than you. what will come up if you leave? just more issues to deal with. best thing to do is get your life back on. go to college, find a job and so on..
    and going to live with a person you never met and is offering you money is stupid af.
    like the hell no, don t do that. you trust him more than your own family?

• You should talk to someone who understands the things you’re going through. Talk about what’s wrong and see if together you can find a better solution running away may look like the solution but it can be dangerous.

Speak to an adult you trust as soon as possible it could be a relative, a teacher, your school nurse or your family doctor.

If your friend has run away or you think they may be about to, then talk to a trusted adult as soon as possible.

Wishing you the bst of luck.