How do I develop "thick skin"?

I started a new job and there is a lot of whispering and talking shit going on especially about me. I'm new so, half the time it's about what I can and can't do. Wtf did they expect? It's like it's mostly a thing that happens to me. Another girl came in today and they had no problem offering to train her and be nice to her. Anyways I just need thick skin because some customers are rude/angry and the catty bitches (girls and guys) are petty. The only thing is I don't want people to think I didn't hear them I want them to know so they'll know to keep their mouths shut and I want customers to know I won't take their shit.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• the best revenge is to ignore them completely, or better yet, be really nice to them and just keep being professional. u can't treat the workplace like a school playground. stuff is gonna happen that u dont like, but think skin is about going on despite that. 'not taking shit' and making a fuss is actually gonna make u weaker.

if u can establish that ur not gonna take shit, but ur also not gonna let people get to you, then that is developing thick skin.

for example, say they think ur terrible with a certain job. do it wonderfully, smile and say "hmm, looks like i can ____ after all!" :) quite cheerfully lol. it's amazing how some people hate seeing u happy. keep doing that and improve your work ethic to show that ur valuable to the company.

• It's just worse because it's the one place where I kind of feel safe from my mother and the shitty environment with her at home and it's should be friendly and welcoming among coworkers but it's not

What Guys Said 1

• Having thick skin is just taking what's thrown at you.

What Girls Said 3

• A lot of it is just being happy with yourself and having high self-esteem. Girls talk shit about me constantly, like they'll say things about what I wear or who I am. But I know they're just jealous and trying to bring me down, and more importantly, I know I look good and that I'm a good person. No jealous girl is going to dent my self-esteem. I think of those girls when I'm working out and use that to push me so that I can build my self-esteem even more.

• My mom told me that when they did that to her, she talked back. And when they wouldn't stop, she told those b*tches to line up outside cause she was taking them all down. They stopped bothering her after that. I'm not suggesting you try that, but you could talk back. With the customers though, just kinda brush it off unless you work somewhere they let you talk back.

• Ignore the catty bitches and try to be as polite to the customers as possible.