When you come across a homeless person on the street, what do u do?

I always give them at least a 5 dollar bill or else I'll feel like a selfish brat. And it's the least I could do

• I pretend I don't see/hear them
  • I give them money
  • I talk to them
  • I try not to get close to them/go to the other side of the street

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm usually in my car, but I try to pretend I don't see them and wait for the light to change so I can drive off. I'm a small person, I wouldn't approach anybody on the street whether they're homeless or in a tux. People are dangerous and I don't trust them, I look at everyone with a skeptical eye. If I truly want to help homeless people, I can be more active and feed them food at a soup kitchen or provide them with clothing and a meal. I wouldn't just randomly open up my wallet and start popping cash out.

Most Helpful Guy

• I do not see homeless people often in Australia, at least not in the part where I live.
    One day I saw a homeless older man, who was begging for money.
    What made me stop were the medal ribbons on his coat.
    I talked with him, then took him to a cafe (they made us sit outside) and kept food and coffee coming until he could not eat anything more.
    He told me about his life and how he came to be on the street.
    As he ate I made a couple of calls. When I left him, he was in the care of two people from the Salvation Army, who said that they could find him a place at a men's shelter.
    There but for the grace of God. . .

What Girls Said 21

• I see numerous homeless people in my city everyday. Honestly, I've become so desensitized to it that I ignore them. It sounds terrible, but to be honest many of the ones here spend the money given to them on drugs and alcohol and not on food or clothing. I don't have a lot of money to spare either so if I bought food or gave them money, my wallet would be empty pretty quickly.

• Where I live they're super common and not actually "that" homeless at all, most just beg for change because realistically they make way more on the streets in a day than they would at a minimum wage job. -.-

• I honestly try to stay clear from them it's not that I don't want to help it's just where I live you will find a lot of Romanians begging so on the streets pretending to be homeless. One minute they're begging on the streets another you see them out with their families shopping. I also don't like to give money in case they use it to buy drugs or alcohol which there is some homeless people who do that. I do want to help out tho and do more for the homeless people other than giving them money, around October/November I want to join this group who go out at night and feed the homeless and supply blankets. It's something I've always been interested in doing but never have I've been thinking about it a lot lately ill define pitch want to start before end of 2016. It's nice of you to give them money, it's very selfless.

• I get why you don't but that's why I don't donate a whole lot either :)

• In my own city, I don't give money to homeless people because some of them use it for drugs and alcohol, but instead I donate to homeless shelters/charities.

When I was travelling through New York a few years back, my sister would barely touch her meals (she was a fussy little kid) so we'd always ask to put them in a take-away container and we'd give it to the first homeless person we encountered.

• B and C. C is usually because they talk to me first and it's rude to just ignore someone. B is when they ask me for money.

• Try to but them food cause then I know they are getting that instead of soenthing that will hurt them

• I've seen numerous occasions where those same "homeless people" getting in a very nice car that has rims on it. I don't give anything to homeless people I can't trust that they are genuine... I would much rather give to a charitable organization. or you could create a care package that way you don't have to give them money

• I always feel super bad and uncomfortable, but at the same time I'm doubtful. Cause a lot of them will just use that money to buy alcohol and drugs. If it's in third world countries I love helping as much as I can. I think people who disregard poor people are heartless and I have no respect for them.

• I believe in supporting the homeless through organized charities. I try not to encourage pan handling but I do give generously to charity.

• The only people who get mad about people ignoring the homeless probably don't see homeless people a lot. I lived in Cairo for a year and beggars will directly approach you or send their kids to ask for money. It was shocking because we don't see homeless people in suburbs. The easiest thing is to ignore, give what you can but you can't give to everyone.

• I do pretend I don't see them but WILL give some of them money, sometimes if they approach me in the cbd or while Im travelling o/s.

• I don't pretend I don't see them, but I do keep walking unless they talk to me or something.
    It's hard for me to tell just by glancing if someone is homeless or not.
    I only see stereotypical ones when I go to a "big" city.

• Buy them a sandwich

• If I'm walking past them then I'll smile but otherwise I pretend I don't see them because I never have any change that I can give

• If I gave money to every homeless person I came across, the money in my wallet would quickly turn into negatives. I've only ever bought some dog food for a homeless man with a dog.

• Buy them food (so you know exactly where your money is going) and maybe have a conversation if not in a hurry.

• If I don't have any pocket change to give them, then I pretend that I don't see them. If I have extra to give then I give them money, and sometimes talk to them.

• I give them some money, or I buy them something to put on there stomach.

• If I have extra money on my I will give it to them. Usually around 8-10$ 😊

• My boyfriend and I buy them food instead of giving them money

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 14

• I have been Conned before now I just like to get them food. They all just use drugs or drink everyday sometimes both

• I once was in new york city (The most overrated city in the country if not the world)
      A guy walked around with a box on his neck with the words, need money to get drunk written on it

• Lol I got ripped off in NY from some street guy

• When I feel like I had a few bucks to spare sometimes I'd give them some money. While it feels like you did something generous, the thing with giving money to homeless folks is that you don't know what they'll do with it. You think that you helped someone in need, but you don't know if that person might just go spend it on drugs, alcohol, or something they don't need. I've handed money to homeless people begging for cash who I later realized were very likely to be junkies and I was too naive and way to generous to catch on. You're not always doing them favors and you leave $5, $10, $20 broker. Offer to buy them food instead or ask what they want it for so you'll know where the cash went.

• It's really embarrassing for myself... On the other hand I don't know if any money that I would give would be put to good use... How many times can you offer a homeless person to pay for food and he refuses because he would rather go and buy alcohol or drugs... I'm not making a generality here saying all homeless person are like this but sometimes they are unfortunately... And that's just not right, even giving them money is a real short term solution anyway

• I always give them either food or money depending if there is a spot for food close.. that being said i also know its their own choice to be there

• I used to give them money, but then I learned that they fritter away their money on drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol to continue down the path of contaminated lifestyle.

And I live in NYC, so there are fucking annoying ass homeless people in the street. Some of them are aggressive in asking you for money, and if you ignore them, they cuss at you. I will keep all my greenbacks in my pocket, thank you.

• I ignore them, like most people.

• I just walk by

• To be honest, i wouldn't give them money but if they want i would buy food for them... the reason for not giving them money is that I'm afraid if they spend it on drugs.

you seem to be a nice person.

• I try lol and that's why I give little amounts of money cuz u never know

• Smile and keep walking.

• B, sometimes C, I'll probably be sitting next to them in the next 5 years

• Avoid eye contact and walk/drive faster before they start asking for money.

• I just keep moving.

• Depends. I sometimes give them food or money, other times I just leave them be. Some homeless people just want to be left alone.

• laugh at their face