Oxygen was discovered in 1783. How could people breathe before D: ?

• They just did through going super sayinOxygen was discovered in 1783. How could people breathe before D: ?
  • OG... are you high?
  • That pic is Potato quality, seriously that girl looks like a total sloot, i am not jealous at all... she just looks easy with those perfect lips, and fucked up nose

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL, funny.

Yr timeline is a little off -- oxygen was actually first isolated by Scheele in 1771 and Priestley in 1774.
    http://elements.vanderkrogt.net/element.php?sym=o

__

What happened in 1783 was, Lavoisier showed how combustion -- like, burning and explosions, but also rusting and other forms of "combustion" -- worked.

Before that point, the dominant theory was that combustible stuff all contained... a combustible *thing*, which was called "terra pinguis" or "phlogiston".
    Basically, the theory was that once you burned the phlogiston away, stuff would stop burning.
    Makes sense right?

Well... the first problem with the phlogiston theory is... lots of stuff weighs *more* after combustion (e. g., metal oxides weigh more than the pure metals).
    Also, if you cut off air supply, stuff that usually burns... won't burn anymore. If phlogiston were a thing, this wouldn't make sense.

In 1783, Lavoisier put all the pieces together and figured out that the **already recently discovered** element of oxygen was being consumed when stuff burned. So, no more phlogiston theory -- he figured out that combustion was actually stuff combining with oxygen.

__

What's with these questions lately btw? First carbon dating, now this -- Are you studying for some sort of advanced fire science certification, or sth?

Most Helpful Guy

• But how do you know that they discovered it back then if they couldn't announce their discovery through the internet or television?

What Girls Said 4

• we hadn't evolved the ability to breathe oxygen prior to 1783, so we didn't need to discover it.
    trust me, I have a theoretical degree in physics.

• Are you fuckin' stupid OP I'm disappointed in you, you Beta nerd!
    I can't believe we had something!!! How did I fall for such a stupid person!!! I craiiiiiiii😭

• lel XD Just because they discovered what chemical made it to help us breathe. Doesn't mean we couldn't before then since the chemical still existed. :P

• The troll has presented itself, everyone.

What Guys Said 16

• "Science" is forever stumbling upon what God created, giving it a name, and claiming it as their own.

• It's like watching monkeys play with a football.

• They got oxygen from their tv back then.

Sincerly
    -Super scientist
    -History expert
    - Bro college degree

Me, I, myself and that guy that I am.

• People had oxygen before then. Oxo in the morning and gin at night... :-o

• I like that question, made me smile

• There's a difference between discovered and created 😶

• we didn't the Illuminati forced us to breathe it and now we are dependent on it. it was a conspiracy to make space travel to mars harder as there is no oxygen there.

• They inhaled cannabis and sniffed glue when that wasn't available they would inhale crack smoke and think like you haha jk

• They didn't. They evolved the ability to breathe after they realize it existed and it just felt so damn good! LOLOLOL

• Actually, our forefathers just got hooked on oxygen when they discovered it, now our body doesn't know how to live without out. Damn druggies...

• Discovered, not created.

• LOL so much lol.

• did u just

• Before Oxygen there was Air

• You know what's worse that a stupid question? A stupid unoriginal question.

• Who said they breath before 1783 ?

• LAUGHING... MY FUCKING ASS OFF!!!