Do EMTs and paramedics have to be able to stomach gory and gruesome things or is it not actually as bad as people think?

• Yes they have to be able to stomach the worst
  • No it's not as bad as you think

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah, my buddy is a paramedic and the dude has been getting increasingly depressed over the last ten years. at first it was knarly dude we got to a crash and shit dudes guts where all over the place. now its dude my wife left me she can't handle my drinking.

• But isn't that more to do with the long irregular hours and emotional suffering they see rather than the blood and guts?

• Is it worse than listening to suicial people all day?

• we dont really talk anymore. i feel bad for him but its the life he chose. kind of shitty how his wife left. one day he comes home and its empty. its not like the house was paid off so she didn't want it but she took all the stuff. she also didn't have a job so its kind of fucked.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• Drug and alcohol abuse is higher among this profession. Spending every working day dealing with one tragedy after the next. Just the though of having a child die while you are hold it or trying to help it would be the last straw if it were me doing that work. I am thankful for these people as they really do have one of the most difficult jobs there are.

• But that's more emotional rather than physical like blood and guts going everywhere.

• EMTs get to deal with human tragedy every day whereas those who listen to suicidal people are in a position to prevent a human tragedy.

• What's the difference