Does anybody else from the continents of North and South America feel that citizens of the USA should not call themselves, as a nation, "Americans"?

it bothers me a little bit. It's like the rest of the Americas is either non existent or disregarded. I know that there are a lot of citizens of the US who disregard anything going on outside their borders, but of course there are others that have a wider and like knowing what's going on outside their country.

I think that the USA needs an actual name for their country. maybe it will bring them together more.. haha, yeah right, but what do you think? Do you hate that they use the word 'American' to describe where they live, or you fine with it?

also the poll is for whether you think they need to change the name of their country.. for me it still sounds divided.

• YES - the USA should change their name, so they can call themselves something
  • NO - They just need to use 'citizen of the United States' when they talk about themselves
  • This is a good idea, but I am unsure
  • this is a bad idea
frankly, the thing is that I don't want to be tied to the USA, and have people think that everybody in North and South America is the same, or that our countries are very similar. yo know with all the gun violence and the stupidity in their political system, and their unwillingness to change and grow

Most Helpful Girl

• For some reason Americans hold so much pride when it comes to their country. However they are all not united. They are fighting a race war, and it's been happening for over a hundred years. Maybe they should split the United states

• That's because we let a 5th column in, and that 5th column changed tactics once their Soviet model fell apart.

• The leftover Marxists. They infiltrated the Universities, the media, even much of the civil service. As for the aboriginal peoples, they were never one nation, they were countless mini-nations.

• @Curmudgeon thank you for answering

Most Helpful Guy

• "frankly, the thing is that I don't want to be tied to the USA, and have people think that everybody in North and South America is the same, or that our countries are very similar. yo know with all the gun violence and the stupidity in their political system, and their unwillingness to change and grow"

Gee, such a fatuous statement speaks for itself. Does the term "banana republic" ring a bell?

What Girls Said 2

• That's the most petty thing I've read in a while. Get over it.

• If you don t want to be called an American leave. This is the United States Of America everyone in tis world refers to us as americans.

What Guys Said 2

• I agreed with the question, I find the term Americans to describe people from the USA to be too broad a term. I'd like a more precise name.

But after reading the rest of your opinion, you clearly have different, more smug reasons for the idea.

• How would anyone be offended by the USA being called America?