Moving out of parents house?

I know this response will be different for everyone because of prices...
1- how much did you save before moving out
2- how much do you pay for car insurance/ car payments
3- how much for groceries a month
4- how much for gas a month
5- any types of bills
6- if you're okay with this one: how much do you make a month

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm from Switzerland, so some of the circumstances and numbers are little different. When I moved out from my parents' place, I moved in with my girlfriend.

1. I had saved up around 20,000 Franks, that's equivalent to roughly 20,500 US dollars. My girlfriend comes from South Korea, where the living standard is quite a bit lower, so she didn't have saved up any significant amount of money.
    2. My girlfriend and me don't own a car. In fact, the vast majority of young people in Switzerland (below the age of 30) doesn't own a car. It's simply not necessary. We go almost everywhere by bicycle if it's within our town and for longer distances we take public transportation (such as trains). Both is very easy here. Contrary to the US, cars are also not really considered "cool" among young people.
    3. This is hard to estimate because it varies from month to month but I would say we spend about 600-800 US dollars for groceries a month (together, not individually).
    4. No car, hence no gas ;-). And using my legs doesn't cost anything ;-). However, like most Swiss people, I own a special ticket that allows me to use all public transportation nationwide (trains, busses, trams, subways, ships etc.). This ticket costs me about 3,000 US dollars a year.
    5. Sure, there are always lots of bills to pay :-(. What I can think of right now: electricity, water, phone, insurance and TV.
    6. My girlfriend and me are currently both still university students because university education usually takes longer in Switzerland than in the US or the UK. Therefore, we don't have any real jobs yet. My girlfriend works a part-time college job as babysitter, where she earns around 23 bucks an hour (plus pension, which her employer is obligated to pay for her). That's about 1,300 dollars a month. Myself, I currently get social security aid because I have been born with a severe visual disability. That's around 3,200 dollars a month. However, this social security aid is only given to me until I am done with my education and I have a real job. I am studying to become a high school teacher, which is a well-respected job here and much more academically challenging than in the US (you are required to have two M. A. degrees, one in pedagogy and one in your chosen field of study). On the bright side, it's also a pretty well-paid job. The starting salary of high school teachers in Switzerland is somewhere around 9,000 USD a month. I don't know yet what my girlfriend will earn in her future job though.

Most Helpful Girl

• 1- how much did you save before moving out
    7k
    NA
    3- how much for groceries a month
    Couple hundred
    4- how much for gas a month
    NA
    5- any types of bills
    Electric, water, gas, internet, phone, all a couple hundred a month
    Varies greatly on how busy i am, usually around 5k

What Guys Said 2

• save lol, i moved in with some friends older then me and just paid for my room

car lol thats what a bike i for.

groceries -------like maybe I don't know 200 dollars a year. forty pound sac of rice and forty pound bag of beans at a time.

gas? again nothing. i was in college so bus was free

bills?------100 dollars a month + 400 for rent.

now i make mmmm like 7,800 a month im really not sure money kind of just shows up in my account now i dont really spend money. ill put it this way i still drink taka.

• 1. Zero
    2. $300/mo
    3. $50/mo
    4. $500/yr
    5. Cable/internet/phone $1300/yr
    6. Electricity $80/mo.
    7. None of your business

What Girls Said 0