Be honest - can Russians be intimidating?

I am Russian Australian and often when I am out in public if I speak Russian to my mother, I notice people become quite nervous especially in lifts. It's not arrogance because in fact, I am actually more proud to be Australian than Russian. I occasionally in work interviews don't mention that I can speak Russian purely because of the judgement.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep, that's why there's a saying that Russians are the scariest white people. They are usually the most powerful, physically.

Russian women are really hot though and I'll take them over these ugly American ones.

What Guys Said 6

• Yes, for me they are. I feel very bad saying this but I have a pretty bad image of Russians in general. That doesn't mean I think every single Russian is a bad person. Of course not. But I do have some... antipathy towards Russians as a people (more so towards Russian men than women).
    I think Russian can sound quite aggressive when spoken by some people. However that's not the only reason. I mean... there are other languages that also sound aggressive. What bothers me about Russians is that many of them ARE actually aggressive. I don't know why this is the case and I don't know where it comes from... maybe it's the bad weather/climate but I feel like A LOT of Russians have this dull, angry, bitter aggression deep in their hearts. It's different from people from the Balkan (Serbia, Albania etc.). Those people can also be aggressive but there it is more of a fiery temperament. They just get pissed of really quickly. Russians on the other hand - in my experience - aren't moody or fiery, their aggression is more of a "general state of mood". Like when you get up on a bad day and you don't even know why, you just think to yourself "fuck everyone, fuck this world, everyone's an asshole". I admit that my opinion of the Russian soul may be partially due to a prejudice but at the same time, I look at Russian society and politics and I feel like all my prejudices are validated. For example there's tons of violence in Russia. Russians were some of the first people on earth to use dash cams in their cars, simply because there's so much road rage. There's also loads of racism, nationalism and homophobia and large parts of the male population is super sexist. I just feel like Russians are really angry, bitter people and in some strange way, they're proud of being angry and bitter. They're very different from western Europeans or Americans who tend to be much more easy-going and relaxed. So to me, personally, they definitely are intimidating.

However, please note that I am specifically referring to Russians living in Russia. Overseas and second-generation Russians in other countries may well be different. Plus, like I said, not everyone is like that. But generally speaking, I feel like my description is accurate for Russians as a people.

• They can be but Russian women are fairly attractive

• Russian people are very ignorant and their women look like men. I fail to see why anyone would be intimidated by a Russian.

• I think anyone can

• im half russian myself, can't speak a word of it though. im also half italian, again can't speak a word of it. i was born here in the u. s.

• What do you look like? Would be interesting to know haha. Are you more Scandinavian/Slavic looking or Italian/Mediterranean?

• im light, pale even, so im more scandinavian/slavic looking

• I love Russians. :D

What Girls Said 3

• Intimidating? Not at all

• What do you think the reason could be?

• I speak Russian as well and It is easy and beautiful language.
      Maybe there's another reason of their nervousness.

• I have only met one Russian and he was lovely, if blunt.

• Not intimidating just free thinkers free speakers, you either love them or you don't, i like Russians, it's sad you seem to be almost ashamed of your Russian side when you should be proud and embrace who you are.