In your opinion, do you consider golfers, race car drivers, and bowlers athletes?

If none of them are athletes, then which one closely fits the definition of an athlete to you?

• Golfers are athletes
  • Race car drivers are athletes
  • Bowlers are athletes
  • None of them are athletes
  • All of them are athletes

Most Helpful Girl

• I know what you mean, it is pretty comical and by this definition; a person who competes in one or more sports that involve physical strength, speed and/or endurance.
    I could include race car driver and golfer. Bowler, eh, that may be a stretch. Lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Are professional billiard players considered athletes? I don't think so but they are skilled. The problem with this argument is people assume you're dismissing how hard it is to sit in a race car for hours or golf. It's not that at all.

I don't believe any of the above are physical athletes. Maybe they need a specialized athlete term like "athelete of technical skill"... well toss those ice curlers from the winter Olympics in there to.

What Girls Said 5

• Even though they may not require a high level of physical exertion, the do require skill. I'd even have to go so far as to say there is a level of physical exertion involved in all three because concentration, calculation and decision making making is tiring. Ever taken a particularly grueling exam? Its exhausting.

• If I had to choose out of one of the 3, Golfers.

- If you're *not* making me choose and just giving my honest opinion- none of them are. >:}

• I somehow associate "athlete" with runners, but according to the word origin, competing for a price, they are.

• None really

• yeah i think they r, so are dancers

What Guys Said 13

• Watched a show years ago tha pitted various athletes, which included football, baseball and basketball players, and also race car drivers against each other, in a competition wherein each was forced to compete in a series of sports other than their own. To my great surprise, a race car driver won the competition. Go figger...

• Oh, yes, I remember hearing about that. I was surprised when I heard about it as well.

• Modern golfers and most certainly F1 drivers are :-
    Top Golfer squatting 265lbs (no it's not bodybuilder weight i know, but he's not a big guy at 5'9 and bulk =/= athleticism)
    twitter.com/mcilroyrory/status/534974920355479552
    Race car driver doing a triathalon 1.5km Swimming, 40km cycling, 10km of running and only finished 15 minutes behind the top pro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAykMktOsU4

• It takes a lot of time and practice and dedication to get good at all these sports. I consider them athletes because what they do requires a lot of body control. Not necessarily the same as a football or basket ball player.

I even consider some musicians athletes. Just look at some of the things some of these people can do while on stage performing!

• No. I consider them highly skilled at their sports, though. I call those sports, but I don't call the participants athletes.

• driving an F1 car in the 80s looked like quite the workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APvradRd0Is

• These are skill games. Not sports.

• i consider race car drivers athletes because of the intense G forces that play when driving so fast.

• Yes.

• All of them require a high level of skill. So yes, athletes.

• Only bowlers actually have to use their muscles more intensively.

• None of them.
    Most Golfers ride around in a cart. Pros walk BUT somebody carries their clubs so they don't get tired NON ATHLETE.
    Race car drivers have stamina but I've driven for 12 hrs. in citys like LA
    Bowlers the ball is only 16 pounds. If you're like me you only have to roll 1 ball most of the time.

• I'm a beer pong athlete.

• All of them are. Athletes are basically just people who play physical games for money