A pregnant woman on the side of the busy intersection was trying to hitchhike oht in the heat today. Thoughts? Would you pick her up?

So after I got off my exit and to the stoplight I saw this obviously 5-6 month pregnant woman holding a cardboard sign and coupon paper (to fan herself) on the side of the road. She was getting frustrated how nobody picked her up or offered money or whatever. That spot is very common for homeless/beggars. However, this is the first time I've not only seen a decently dressed woman there, but a pregnant one.

What do you think? She obviously got there somehow but there are a bunch of shops, restaurants, and gas stations nearby she could have taken shelter in from the heat. Would you pick her up? I couldn't because I was in the middle lane, but even so I'm still not sure I would because a "helpless" pregnant woman sounds like perfect bait for a robbery or car jacking scenario (she could lead you to the house of the robber or wherever). And while victim blamining is wrong, again there's a lot of shops within walking distance nearby she could've gone to.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• Not at all. People around where I live find a niche like that to scam money out of people. There will be older ladies claiming they lost their job and have 5 kids at home to feed or delinquent teenagers ditching school for the day.

Then there was this one guy who actually stood on the corner with a woman and her young daughter. People were dropping money before them like crazy. None of them looked hungry. They were decently dressed, clean and groomed and I doubt they were even related. I was sitting in a nearby drive through line watching people give them handfuls of bills because of the kid. I knew they were full of it because they were holding up the exact same sign a previous beggar had been using on that corner before them.

So no I don't give anyone money because more than likely it's just an act.

• That's an odd sight

• Probably not because the situation sounds way too suspicious.

• She could have been faking :x best to err on the side of caution.

• I don't think I would, whether she is pregnant or not she could still be a murderer.

• wouldn't pic her up.

What Guys Said 20

• if i owned by home rather than rented an apartment and i saw any woman on the street idc offer a place in my home short term till she got going... 1 I hate cleaning 2 cause i can't cook and 3 because all people deserve a 2nd chance to do things right... i did this once for a homeless vet... unfortunately i found him doing drugs and warned him if he does it again he was out... he went to the hospital for passing out on bus due to drugs a few months later and when he told me he left voluntarily... he was a good guy but i won't have it in my home

I've since moved into an apartment and can't do it anymore but even if i could i wouldn't let just any man in... i feel if i have to i can overpower a woman if she becomes a problem and i get along better with women but a man might because more than i could handle and like i said women are better to have around for me

on another note i have 2 dogs that will immediately rip out your throat if you touch me and i don't tell them to back down so I'm safe lmao

• As someone who has done a lot of hitch hiking, and picked up lots of hitch hikers, I'd probably give her a ride if it was safe to pull over.

I know a lot of people today have kind of a stigma about hitch hiking, but it used to be VERY common. I wouldn't think anything of it.

• "I would because a "helpless" pregnant woman sounds like perfect bait for a robbery or car jacking scenario"

precisely. the days of hitch hiking are over. sadly because you simply cannot trust people enough. you are just putting yourself at a serious risk.

i may pull over and give her some money so she could call a cab or call an uber and put it on my bill if i truly wanted to help her. but, sad to say, i'm not letting a stranger in my car (pregnant or not)

• I'd probably stop and talk to her, done it before. If she needs help for drugs or whatever, than can at least help her.

• I would have turned around and picked her up. I have a permit to carry a pistol and keep it loaded and know how to use it. Nobody is going to mess with me.

Most likely she simply needed a ride.

• Wouldn't pick up any hitchhikers, we parked on the side of this municipal highway for one of our jobs, some woman came up as I was about to get out and go to work and got really offended when I wouldn't drive her home lol.

They always annoy the shit out of me when they're leaning into traffic on the fucking on ramps. I don't know not too much sympathy for people who can't save up for a few hundred dollar car.

• I probably would at least ask her what is going on... but I have given hitchhikers short rides before haha soooooo... thats not really the issue to me. Hopefully it doesn't one day come back to bite me. But just giving cash isn't my thing. I have given a homeless man a pizza before but don't feel comfortable giving out money like that.

• I must admit I would be kinda of wary - It sounds almost too perfect, sad that we live in such a suspicious world - On reflection I don't think I would pick her up.

• I'd give her a ride.

• A pregnant woman is trying to hitchhike? Damn! That's not good/safe!!! Yes, I would give her a ride before some psycho/creep/crazy picks her up and does the unthinkable to her. Granted, I'd have to pat her down to make sure she doesn't pull anything on me, for my own safety. I wouldn't think I'd have to do that, but in this world, anything is possible.

• I read your description, and I would retract my statement. If there are restaurants nearby, I wouldn't pick her up.

• Nope. Not only because it's likely a setup, but also, I didn't knock her up, so she's not my fucking problem. Next time, fuck someone with a car.

• That's a classic con game. Put a distressed woman on the side of the road and there'll be guys nearby to rob you, or they'll be waiting at wherever she wants you to go. I wouldn't stop for this reason.

• id give her ten bucks to buy a day pass for the trolley.

• I'm definitely not picking up a crazy pregnant lady. I will only pick up respectable ones.

• Nope, next time she should sleep with someone with a car.

• Only if she agrees to empty her pockets and put ALL her belongings in the bed of my truck.

• She then proceeds to rob me at gunpoint and take my car :(

• I want to say yes, but I know myself well enough to know that I never trust strangers. No.

• I doubt she wanted a ride. just easy money. "Pregnancy" could have been a pillow for added sympathy.

• Only in exchange for sex.