What everyday subject do you try to never discuss?

Somethig that often comes up, but brings up bad experiences you had in the past..

Most Helpful Girl

• Race, politics and police.

• Most interesting subjects

• they are, but they also cause a lot of arguments and I can't always back it up. So I stay away. Things people should NEVER talk about are sex, politics and religion.

• Only because of ignorance and fanaticism... sometimes you have to confront those things.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an open book, I can discuss anything, so long as the person is willing to equally listen, and not just run their mouth and nothing else.

What Girls Said 25

• I will talk about and debate ANYTHING... with the right people.

I am extremely passionate and I fiercely debate with people, which I understand upsets a lot of people. So it's less about the topic for me as it is about the person I am talking to. If I feel like they can't handle my opinions, I pick and choose what I say.

... Most of the time.

• Chuckle, me too

• @Fearless_banana Lol. Witty.

• I love a good debate but I'll stop if it leads to quarreling

• Ooo good question. (SORRY YOU DONT HAVE TO READ EVERYTHING) really don't like talking/ conversation with too many people period (but specifically about HS and college) because when I was younger my mother would publicly embarrass me in a variety of ways, sometimes yelling until my face was a tomato and I was shaking and my heart sank- in a mall full of crowds and crowds of people that all looked upon me with a disgraceful look. To telling random people at a store personal things about me and just making me feel stupid about even feeling shy around people in the first place. I would develop panic attacks and she would drag me by my arms while I was having a panic attack to a big party, then proceeding to invite everybody there to listen to my issue. She explained it like I was a brat that just didn't want to listen. Everybody knew I was crying and freaking out about the party. So that's one thing I try and avoid.

Also just arguing and talking about arguing and parenting. I also grew up around very hostile arguments and sometimes physical violence that sparked from my parents relationship to the entire family igniting into this huge fire. So many bad memories I see when I think about arguing. I can't stand it to feel people rising and rising into an argument. It makes me very anxious and stressed out, and I can't do anything about it. All I could do was watch violence happen around me because when I tried to solve something they would tell me (my family) that I was nosy and making everything worse and that I was the problem. I always tried to keep it together being the only girl in a pool of brothers- i was kind of mocked for being any kind of femenine because it was "stupid" or whatever. Not having my mom there didn't help.

And lastly I don't enjoy the topic of what my life plan is (related to the first one) because I have a lot on my mind and I don't really know how I'm gonna work and function in the long run and my family likes to (and some friends) tell me that I need to get everything together and figure out my life plan. I've struggled with homework in school and everyone seems to think I'm a lazy bum that needs to take everybody's advice. I hate hearing the same thing over and over, making me more anxious, that I'm going to fail if I don't just do what i should. So really I'm keeping okay in the meantime with the mindset of "if I become a hobo so be it" and just seeing what happens cause I don't know how to better my specific problem. I don't know.

• Politics. It becomes one huge, whiny, moaning b*!#@ fest.

• Sex because it's awkward with family, I rarely ever talk about it with mom and my sister but even when we do its more the concept and not the details.

• Religion

• 💩 poop... girls don't poop! ever!!!

• "Why did you quit uni?"
    Im tired of explaining. It's only for a few months, Im going on where I left off next year, I just panicked.

• American politics. i dont have the energy to reply to or listen to it.

• I'm willing to discuss just about any topic, so long as it's a productive and worthwhile discussion. If it's someone yelling at me or calling me stupid, I have no interest in discussing anything with them.

• That's why you need to steer the conversation, BEFORE anyone starts yelling!

• Of course. That's why I tend to avoid discussing controversial issues such as politics with friends and family who tend to react that way in such conversations. It isn't worth my energy or possible tension in the relationship.

• My personal life to my family. It's very awkward for me to discuss.

• Mental health. Whenever I discuss it with someone they just casually say something like "yeah, I had depression for a week after my dog died. Then I got over it. You should too" or something like that and I'm like... Dude if you knew how I felt everyday..

• My dating life. Period.

• 12Aw, c'mon, it's bound to be funny at times, or at least interesting!

• There are quite a few, but oddly enough, I can't think of them off the top of my head. I don't really like discussing death very much, as it's just a very depressing subject.

• It bothers me enough that I can't even say it here!

• Anything to do with my learning disability.

• In a city charged by power and social status, where I went to high school. I always dodge the question since my schooling never fit the "script" of most people I grew up around. Cringe.

• Yes, that's always a concern with snobby circles!

• But culturally Latina...

• I'm Colombian, so yes. Complicated family origins lol

• racial topics

• Only in the US, I think, is that such a dangerous topic.

• only in the us... right... because there is no racial tension in any other part of the world.

• Chuckle, exaggeration.. but generally, problems can be discussed elsewhere. So many here are violent self-anointed prophets.

• Bugs.

• Bullying

• My separation

• Sexual contact with a male
    It brings me awful memories

• Siblings

• When people ask about what my father is like.

• He's that bad?

• Well.. aye yo need compassion... not a shameful thing!

• To be honest I don't feel like I need compassion. I've came to terms and accepted it. I just don't like to talk about it because I don't want to be judged off of it.

• POLOTICS AND RELIGION. we never talk about either one of those in my family.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 17

• 0|2
  • Politics, my parents and I don't really agree all that much on the topic, they are very conservative, and have a tendency to seem to believe everything they see on the TV regarding who is doing what and how the Democrats are evil etc. Personally I believe that both parties are to blame for the mess we are in, and that our country is in a rather fragile state because of it. :-(

• i try to avoid conversations about cancer with my wife. her little sister died from it a few years ago and while it's gotten better the subject still usually brings out a lot of emotions in my wife

• I avoid discussing anal sex with my mother.

• Taking a big dump of a bad boy 💩💩... Jk I talk bout it everyday

• Almost always politics is a bad idea. Unless you know the person and know they have a reasonable, uniformly sceptical, outlook.

Religion is always a bad idea as well. Cue highly superstitious and nervous person who'll believe anything you tell them; or ultra rational and sneering self proclaimed arbiter of reason and The Ultimate Truth (Dawkinsism).

• I would say self awareness - I am very blunt in judging myself and sometimes I forget that others might not be as judgmental on themselves - I think what I am trying to say is something like say I was acting like an asshole, I might appreciate be called up on it (maybe not at the time but on reflection) but at times I have to remember not everybody might appreciate it and before you can explain that you are ten times as harsh on yourself, you suddenly become the world's worst.

• Anything that is gossip. I walk away when I hear people gossiping.

• There's really nothing I won't talk about there are subjects we don't talk about, not because they're awkward or anything just because they have no relevance and there's no reason to talk about them.

• Any subject when the conversation has stupid people involved. You can't educate stupid people, so why even bother wasting the breath talking to them?

• Feminism lol ewww

• "why dont you have a girlfriend" i hate this.

• Sexuality, because that's none of your business random people who ask me that sometimes.

• Coffee.

• my past and my future

• Human feces. Makes me cringe.

• Fecal smearing💩😂😂 JK,

Well, not really... I try not to discuss it...