Why do my black co-workers think a predominantly white neighborhood is better for their children?

My black somaon co worker who's wife is black told me how he is happy he made enough money to move to a mostly white neighborhood.
"I love how all those older white peoples see my kids and offer to buy the cookies and treats and are super nice." "I don't have to worry about gun fire at night, break ins or gang shit now."
isn't this racist in a way? How could he say something like that?

I'm white hispanic and i've lived in black neighborhoods and walked through them blacked out drunk and bumming smokes from groups of black guys at street corners at like 3 AM... so maybe i'm bias since i don't have kids. Granted i've never gotten mugged but have to walk to them with my chest out and straight not giving off a scared look. Probably wouldn't be the same if i had children.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not racist because the tragic reality in the US is that white people are - on average - significantly more affluent than black people. This has to do with a number of factors, such as the fact that it's harder to get a good education as a black person (especially because many black families are poor) or that as a black individual in the US, you are almost 5 times more likely to fall into poverty than as a white person. So, while there are certainly safe and peaceful black neighborhoods, it is unfortunately true that the overall difference between black and white neighborhoods is quite big.

What Girls Said 10

• I would love my kid to live in a mixed raced neighborhood.
    Letting your black kid live in a white neighborhood is just setting them up to experience racism.

• Predominantly black neighborhoods are mostly ghettos, where people are poorer, resulting in less education, which concludes to more violence.
    I'm not American, so I may be wrong.

• Because a lot of Black American neighborhoods tend to be in poorer parts of the country. Poorer people also tend to be less educated and less education is linked to more violence.

• That's not racist. That's a fact. I would rather live in a upper middle class white neighborhood than an upper middle class black neighborhood. And no I'm not white or black.

• Because black neighborhoods are dangerous and people get mugged and attacked all the time there I live in a black neighborhood so I know.

• honestly? i don't blame them. as someone who personally lives in a bad neighborhood, i have heard several of my black customers say they were relieved when they moved out of the neighborhood. it's difficult to walk through here without the possibility of being shot, unless it's broad daylight.

• 😒 No it's not racist. you're dumb.. Or naive.

• It's not racist, "white" neighborhood is the layman's term for a wealthy one.

• Although not always true often black neighborhoods have a lower socioeconomic status and this leads to increased crime. White neighborhoods will often have lower crime and higher incomes. If your coworker came from or has been exposed to one of those neighborhoods then he is likely appreciative of a neighborhood where he has less worry about crime.

• How is that racist? Most predominantly black neighborhoods are extremely poor and lack education which leads to more and more violence. We've had so many gun threats in our school that it's normal. One time when we went on lockdown because some kid had actually brought a gun to school everyone sat there chilling and talking. I literally ate pringles and texted my mom and even she didn't care. Violence and crime is so prevalent in black communities that people will work their whole lives just to get out of black neighborhoods. I don't see how it's racist to be happy that he moved to a safer neighborhood.

What Guys Said 4

• It's not "racist", it's the truth. Predominant black neighbourhoods in the US often have poverty and have much more crime that police patrols don't even want to go there.

• -____- dont want to say it

• Because it is. A predominately minority neighborhood is statisticaly proven to be detrimental to children with more crimes and overall shitbagerry

• It's not racist. Don't be stupid.

• its a double standard... to assume a mostly white neighborhood is safer than a mostly black or hispanic or any race neighborhood.

• Pointing out that an area is safer or nicer, is objective.

It would be racist if, for example, he said "We're moving to a white neighbourhood" and if you tried to point out that the schools were bad, or the crime was up, or something, he said "I don't care. We're going there because it's WHITE."

People like you are idiots because you don't even know what racism means.

• then i objectively think you are full of it.