What does it mean to be a transgender?

Most Helpful Girl

• Heya. Transgender woman here. The question is a hard one to answer. Here's an approximation: a trans person is someone who is estranged from the contemporary gender system.

Most people are going to tell you its: someone who identifies with the opposite gender they were assigned at birth. So if one has 'male' on ones birth certificate, and they, using hormones or surgeries, transition into a 'female', they're trans. Or they are more liberal minded, and they figure someone is female because they say they're female; self-identification is enough.

Both of these are more or less mistaken, though. By virtue of being too narrow, viz., many people don't identify themselves as an "opposite" gender, it is common to hear trans people say that they have *no* gender, or that they are both genders, or that they are some other configuration. But also because it obscures the actual function of the identity - that is to say, I don't go out and "become" a transgender person, by taking medicine or proclaiming something about myself; I am IDENTIFID AS a transgender person, by others. I have as little agency in the assignment as a non-trans person did with theirs.

In other words, it is never "I think I'll become a woman" - it's, "oh god! I'm a woman, aren't I?"

So, the estrangement. Its simplest this way. Think of everything you learned in biology class about gender. Men are like this, women are like this, its because of this or that chromosome. Nice, simple, easy to write in your notebook. Trans peope are the ones who make it messy.

Most Helpful Guy

• You have a man that wants to become a woman,
    Just like a woman wants to become a man. That what a transgender is!

And in other words, both of them is calling GOD a liar, that HE didn't know what HE was doing when they were being made in their mother's womb!

What Girls Said 2

• Identifying as the opposite gender than what you are born with.

• It means that you feel you are a different gender than you were assigned at birth and the way you feel doesn't match your appearance

What Guys Said 2

• When you're one gender but you change to the other.

• it means ur gay

• LOOOOOLLLL, hey someguy37. Whats going on. I have never seen someone get baited so fucking hard