If you cheated on your partner and they asked what would you answer?

Guilt management is a very real skill after all.

• Yes
  • No
  • Nervous laugh
  • Ignore the question
  • Cry or get emotional
  • Get defensive
  • Accuse them of cheating on you

Most Helpful Girl

• Deny deny deny

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I don't know what I would do. I can tell you for certain that I wouldn't do something really childish such as accusing her of cheating or getting all defensive. That's just stupid. But I can't say for sure whether I'd admit or deny it. If it happened to myself, I would definitely want to know about it and I'd expect my girlfriend to tell me. Now, that seems like an awful double standard but I don't think it is because my girlfriend and I think about cheating quite differently. The problem is that society sort of forces us into an unnatural system called monogamy. But then, when you're in there and you make a mistake (and you've got the courage to stand up to it), you usually get punished for your honesty and courage. I think that's messed up. Cheating to me is a bit like a recovering alcoholic being sober for 5 or 10 years, only to have a really bad day some time and get drunk. Now, that's nothing to be proud of but we also shouldn't shame the poor guy to death. There should be a climate where he can openly admit "I'm very sorry but yesterday I fucked up. I just couldn't take it anymore and got myself a few bottles of gin" without having to fear that all his friends and his spouse will turn against him.
    This is why I've told my girlfriend in the very beginning of our relationship that I guarantee her with all of my heart that I won't break up with her if she cheats on me some time in the future. It's extremely important for me to create a climate of trust, where she can come to me and say "I'm very sorry... I fucked up. But I want to tell you about it." Though I might be disappointed for a moment, I don't see the point of being pissed. Being angry about the past useless. What's important is thinking about the future: what can we do so that this doesn't happen again? Why did she cheat? Are there things she's perhaps unhappy about that we should change? This way, cheating can also be turned around into a big opportunity for positive change in a relationship. Unfortunately, many young people these days are too weak and lazy to put in that work.
    My girlfriend has quite a different view on the whole thing. She explicitly told me "I don't think I could still love you if I knew you've cheated on me". Thus, I believe it would probably be better to deny it if it ever happened. It's not the gentleman-way and I do wish there was another way but I feel like she (like most women) doesn't leave me another choice.
    My girlfriend on the other hand thinks

What Girls Said 5

• I would never cheat on anybody, it's horrible.

If I did however I respect my man enough to immediately tell him, before he kisses me or holds my hand or does anything with me. I would feel so disgusted waiting around and pretending things were okay. It wouldn't get to the point of him having to ask, I would come clean first.

That's one of my fears. That if cheated on they'll pretend things are okay before telling the truth. Still holding my hands, still kissing me, still touching me. If they did all of that and then told me I would probably vomit all over myself. It's disgusting. Don't do what you did and then touch the other person.

• I would hope that I would say I did. I'm already awful enough for cheating, I don't want to add lying to their face to that as well.

• Well I wouldn't cheat in the first place but assuming that I did, then I will answer yes and end the relationship. I must not be wanting the relationship so badly if I'm going to cheat.

• I wouldn't cheat on my partner in the first place, I ain't no scumbag.

• I might be a cheater but I ain't no liar.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't know how exactly I would act unless I was actually experiencing that scenario. It's easy to consider a hypothetical scenario and say you'd handle a scenario a certain way but it's completely different to actually be in it.

With minor things, I often get accused of lying when I am telling the truth but am believed when I am lying.

Part of it is because I smirk when I am accused of something I didn't do and that causes them to question my honesty and then I smirk even more...😣

• Depends, cause there are known knowns and there are known unknowns... But there are unknown unknowns. Things that we don't know that we don't know

• I would tell them but I wouldn't cheat anyway so this question is null for me.

• own your actions... man up and take credit even when its something fucked up... also assume if they are asking they already know lol

• Yes, but they would have to find out reasonably quickly as i'd probably be the one telling them.

• i would never cheat on my partner, hell i can't even imagine doing that

• Both A and D, I assume.

• Life lesson #1: Never admit to anything that could get you in trouble.

• i wouldn't cheat period

• Accuse them of cheating on you