Should you respect all elders, no matter what?

People say, respect your elders, but not all elders are deserving of respect. You know the kind of older people who are so rude, it makes your blood boil? Are they really deserving of respect when they don't even even respect you?

I would say, only respect those who are respectful to you no matter what age. Forget about the rest.

Most Helpful Guy

• I will not automatically respect elderly people. I may give the more credit since for example when they're rude, it may be because they're in pain.
    But I used to have a grandma that had the reputation she could make stones fight. I kept some distance but I can tell you, she was not to person I'd have visited for a nice chat :o

Most Helpful Girl

• no one is entitled to respect~ they must earn it, and age doesn't give you a free pass.

however, it is possible to respect someone's experience without respecting them. for example, you can respect the fact that old mrs. crumplebottom from down the street survived the great depression, gave birth to 25 kids, beat cancer 5 times, and lived to the ripe old age of 150 and still want to throttle her for being an insufferable hag.

that said, our elders are a source of knowledge. my in-laws are in their 70s, and talking to them is like stepping into a time machine.

What Guys Said 15

• I agree with you. Charlie Manson is my elder. I have absolutely no respect for him.

Respect is earned. It is not a given.

I have respect for almost all my elders. I can never know what they have been through. They are a source of knowledge due to their age. I very much respect that!

• respect is earned. so an older person has earned a certain level of respect but if they don't show you respect back (when you've respected them) then they've lost their privilege of respect

• Old people can be rude as fuck. With age does not always come maturity. I believe in a mutual respect. I also believe that you should listen to them for they have more life experience but when it becomes condescending is when you draw the line.

• everyone gets the same amount of respect from me and depending on what they do, they gain more or lose it. if someone is rude for no reason, racist, intolerant or anything else I don't like, then I won't respect him no matter how old they are

• i agree with you, we should respect those who deserve respect and to those who are respectful to you.

• I believe you respect others because you respect yourself. Respect is more of a reflection of who you are, then it is of who they are.

• Not always, even my grandmother says not all old people deserve respect.

• Well said👌🏼, mutual respect is important❤️, if they dont talk to me with respect, i will talk to them equally😜

• Old people deserve respect. I've had old people be rude to me, but I wouldn't be rude back.

• Yes, you should respect the elders. They have more life experience than you, and if they're yelling at you, there must be something that happened in their lives that made them that way. Try not to judge them.

• I would say, they deserve respect. Even if they are rude, that's for a reason. Most of them thinking about themselves when they were young and they are desperate, so guys try to understand that and treat them nicely.

• not 'no matter what'.. you have to earn respect whether you're 15 or 85

• Only mature ones deserve respect , if they are assholes then i will treat them like shit.

• You should respect all people young and old cause it suck when older people don't respect you.

• Yeah

What Girls Said 10

• Respect is earned. I have a basic level of respect for everyone, regardless of how old they are. However, if I feel that someone is rude or just a mean person then I will not automatically respect them just because they are older than me.

• Not all the time especially when they're being rude and started to use the 'age card'

• Nope. I use to have an asshole manager who would always pick on me because i was a female and the youngest staff member and we'd argue all the time and he'd always look stupid. I always respect people until they start disrespecting me.

• i only respect elders who deserve to be respected. I dont have to respect a bitch, just bcoz she got old

• Yes we all should respect elders. It is also correct that some elders are rude, but always keep in mind age difference, cultural change and mental setup. It is possible that they were jolly in their youth but many factors have changed their attitude.

• They still need respect. Or else, what does it make you? People might think you weren't raised right. You still need the formalities.

• Im respectful to those who respect me or who I look up to. No room for assh***s in my life.

• Yes I love rude old people! They're so bitter and cute😊

• I respect everyone until I'm given a reason not to.

• No.. they're just people.