Do people think that evil is pre-planned?

Everytime I read about someone saying "I would never..." it makes me wonder if they understand that 99% of people who do most crimes and acts that are devious also said "I'd never do that!"

From cheating on a partner and lying about money to developing an addiction and committing crimes out of desperation these are not generally planned states.

Not that the person is lying but it just seems slightly backwards to declare what you'd never do since you're oft already an offender. The mundane never we just excuse:

"I'd never tell my kid about Santa." - dad dressing up lying to his motherfucking kids. Shrugs it off.

"I'd never buy something like that!" - gets lucky with an excellent job. Wears it with pride.

"I'm not that kind of man." - Didn't cheat! Left the woman for another to avoid the clause.

"I won't ever nag like my mom!", says 14 something - Nags at 32.

"I'd never let myself go!", married and 40 lbs. heavier.

What about these nevers? Such abstruse abuse of language...

• Preplanned evil! Not preposterous!
  • Well... I... You're wrong. I win.

Most Helpful Girl

• The desire to do evil has to be in you. Yes there is sin, but it's goes only as far as you allow it. Jealousy, anger, resentment, bitterness, all of things has to come into play if you desire to do devious things such as murder. I always say if your human, you are capable of doing anything no matter how good you are or was.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh man, I couldn't agree more with you! You're so right about this. You're expressing something I have always been very annoyed about, ESPECIALLY here on GaG. I can't stand hearing all those pretentious, self-absorbed people here (especially women in my opinion) using all those nevers all the time. Particularly when it comes to cheating.
    I've just had a really exhausting discussion with a freaking 20-year old girl who claims she would NEVER EVER get a divorce unless she got abused by her husband (cuz she thinks that's sinful and marriage is supposed to be lifelong). She said that people who are married for 20 years and then get divorced because things don't work anymore are "trashy". So I told her how dumb it is of her to say that. Maaaaybe get married first and stay married for 20 years BEFORE being so fucking judgmental. Her response "I simply KNOW I would never do that!". Wow... uhm no, actually you don't. That's really a biologically adult woman with the brain of a stubborn 5-year old.

But I agree with you also when it comes to more hardcore stuff such as killing someone. I would never say something like "I would never kill someone". How do I freaking know that? Exactly, I don't. There are all kinds of crazy scenarios where I might kill another person ALTHOUGH I consider myself a good, kind human being. Let's just take the SS-soldiers who worked at the concentration camps in Nazi Germany as an example. I doubt any of them went to bed at night, thinking "I'm an evil person". They genuinely believed they were doing a good thing although they were killing thousands of people every week. Were they psychopaths? Of course not. Maybe a few of them were but most of them were completely normal (but brainwashed), young men.

I wish there were more people who knew about the Milgram experiment. It's one of the most famous experiments in the history of psychology. In the early 1970s, American Professor Stanley Milgram wanted to prove that the Nazis weren't "evil" or "sick". They simply did what MOST human beings in their position would have done. To showcase this, he set up a scenario where a figure of authority (a scientist) told test subjects to electrocute another person for making mistakes when remembering previously memorized vocabulary. The electric shocks increased with every mistake. The result of the experiment: almost EIGHTY PERCENT of people were willing to electrocute another human being to death simply because a scientist told them it's necessary.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 8

• Evil to me is Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Manson, Bundy, Georgia Tann, etc

• Never say never.

• we were all given free will, at the same time, were all imperfect... so basically the issue lies there... we all want to do good and exercise our free will the right way, but were far from perfect so usually we screw up

• everyone has his own choices
    preplaned, is escaping the responsibility of freedom

• there is no such thing as evil

• Preplanned evil! Not preposterous!

• Yeah I've always thought that, especially when people say I'd never cheat. Just cause they haven't ever cheated doesn't mean they never will. Sometimes when you do it you feel bad for it but often you change your mind about what's bad. Like when I was a kid I said I'll never have a girlfriend, but when I grew up I figured having a girlfriend isn't a bad thing. Or people who say "I'll never do drugs" then realise drugs aren't all bad, they just tell you they are as a kid

• you are wrong