What's the point of working TOO hard when you have money?

So I'm 'rich'. Honestly I feel as though my parents are going to likely set-up enough money up for me, that I'm likely going to stay rich.

What I mean is... if they buy a house in my name. Even if it's a condo. That's already a major asset.

Anyways even in University I felt confused. I did have drive/ambition but for the wrong reasons: more that I wanted to prove I was smart.

I feel confused. Truly. Even if I worked really hard in a particular job, what am I going to get in return? Money? I already have it. What's the point

Most Helpful Guy

• You can loose the sense of entitlement. The satisfaction that you did it all on your own.
    Everything I have I did on my own. I'm proud of that. Example my acquaintance "Mr. big shot" was given a job by his friend so he could move. Mr big shot was too afraid to move on his own. His friend got him an apprenticeship, taught him how to do the work, taught him the business he started, the day to day operations etc. Mr. big shots friend got sick at an younger age & passed away. He left the business to Mr big shot. Mr big shot now thinks he's the King. Not remembering he was handed everything. Especially because of the early demise of his friend. It may not matter but I laugh at him.
    Prove that you can do it. It's comforting you have money for whatever you want but where's the satisfaction?

Most Helpful Girl

• You're not he only person from an affluent upbringing to feel this confusion but it's because your parents taught you the wrong values.

Making money and being in annually secure is important but it isn't the only aim in life. Bottom line you need to be a productive member of society in one capacity or another for your own wellbeing as well as that of society.

Secondly you aren't rich your parents are upper class but you personally don't even have a trust fund yet alone a non revocable one.

Either way if money isn't an issue for you and isn't a motivating factor to work find something else to do. CampIgn for someone and maybe set a goal of being a delegate, volunteer at an animal shelter. Do something everyday that gives your life meaning.

I have a good friend that asked a similar question at your age as she refused to work or do ANYTHING for most of her 20's living in a condo her Mom owned downtown in an expensive city. Her Mom really wasn't rich enough to justify losing the $5,500 a month in income she could have gotten renting it out so her daughter could sit on her ass. Either way she was aimless even with a nice body, guy she eventually married who convinced her to get a job she hated and she lives for him. She volunteered at an animal shelter for a while it helped but her quality of life even with a man she lived for wasn't great. He would go be productive in a high power career while she sat around waiting for him to come play on the weekends.

Your feeling lost atm but don't allow yourself to stall you'll regret it.

What Guys Said 15

• I have a passion and know what I want to do in life therefore I work hard to get there, if your ambition is driven by money it really won't make you feel accomplished in the long run. My parents give me $1000, do I feel happy about that? Not at all. I succeed in reaching a goal I've set myself, do I feel happy about that? Absolutely. I want to be successful in my own right and it just so happens that the career I'm passionate about always pays very well, but that's a side piece.

Your career defines you in a major way, I know girls might be different but for me as a guy, if someone asks me what I do, they'll be impressed... They're not going to be impressed if I tell them I live off my parents.

• That's true.

Sometimes I feel as though... rich people's whole perception in life is messed up by money.

I used to catch a cab to school because I thought the walk was long. I realize now I was spoiling myself.

I mean to be fair to me, the best solution would've been to just get a closer apartment. But still.

• Doing something to better society. If you don't need to work to live then you have a luxury most do not and that is to work for a purpose. You can focus on making things better rather then staying afloat yourself. Or you could just sit around and exist and do nothing and never leave a mark on the world or others. Might be fun for awhile but in my experience the worst thing is having no purpose and not having the ability to make things better.

• well it helps if you're actually passionate about something vs. thinking about it solely based on how much money you'll get from it. For instance, i like to write/create stories. It's not so much for the money as it is for just the intellectual stimulation and enjoyment of doing it. Some people also do things because they believe there's some greater social good that can come from their efforts, and for them that's worth the work. You sound like you aren't really passionate about anything. Once you find that passion, it usually doesn't feel like work when you do it

• I just like work and achievement. My parents are very wealthy, and I payed rent to live there the last few years and they don't pay anything towards my education. I pay for everything on my own because I like to. I like the feeling of working my ass off and achieving things.

• Personal achievement

• I don't blame you. I wouldn't choose to have a job if I didn't have to.

• I feel confused.

I used to be this 'I'M GOING TO BE RICH' kind of person (I mean on my own wealth) and worked so so hard.

But now I feel... what was the point of anything? Was I happy? No I wasn't.

Am I happy now when I have free time? Yes! I love free time. Free time is what this world is made for not to slog like a machine

• That's another thing.

A lot of rich people, they have money and can easily sustain that money if they worked more simple jobs. I know a teacher who was a millionaire or something but just loved to teach.

But they purposely go and validate themselves by getting those kind of corporate jobs. It's crazy. It really is. It's like they think life is lived wrong if you don't work... which is a crazy ideology

• Ironically it seems like as technology has improved, our work hours have increased rather than decreased. :/

• Getting things done? Rather than sitting around doing nothing?

• You think that little bit of money is enough? Are your parents billionaires? The purpose of a child is the do better than their parents. So if your parents did very well you better be the CEO of a multinational corporation or the leading heart surgeon or the next President. You missed the memo that your expected level of success is higher than everyone else's. If you end up just some mid-level whatever then you utterly failed your parents.

• I feel the same way who gives a fuck. Look out for freeloaders. Take the easy road or be broke up and borderline crippled at 50 no thanks

• Then don't work.

• The risk of losing it?

• Wow, I work too hard, as well.

But I'm broke as fuck.

• What if they get a divorce what will you do then?

• yeah! and your point is to not get a job in the first place, its like winning the lotto and still working, why the hell would anyone want to work?

• One day YOU will be responsible to handle the many. I don't know if the money is by inheritence or your parents beeing a CEO of a big company. If you have no feeling for it, you will loose it very soon.
    History has shown that even rich people have lost all their wealth for different reasons (overspending, company going bankrupt, natural disaster, hyper inflation, ...). Without any education/previous job it will be hard to earn money.
    Working also teaches you things in life you else wouldn't learn. I studied with some people who never worked before, not even a summer job: You can notice the difference.
    You can archieve something by yourself and will not be only identified by your money or your parents.

What Girls Said 7

• what about actually wanting to contribute to the world by living your life knowing you're making a difference? and that your passion is just something u happen to get paid for?

• well is there anything you want to 'do'? thats basically the point. other than necessity people work bc they feel a drive towards tat work

if you gave mine that frees you up to do stuff that you can't make my off of unless you are lucky. like be a actor or artist or writer or out.. or professional whatever you want basically lol

• I guess I'd like marketing.

I mean I wouldn't love it, but yeah I can see how it would give me something to do.

I could also potentially like being a teacher except you know I can't stand kids. Even the older ones.

• Gotta make more money to make up for your expenses. Your money supply is limited, it won't last forever. So you gotta work to earn and keep adding to your parents reserve.

• If you want to have a leading job, working helps you understanding the problems on the work floor and you can find a good solution to it. Otherwise you have no feeling with reality and a lot of your decisions are irrational.

• Money is nothing of value until you decide what to spend on it.

• To be an actual adult

• You should work hard so you could maintain your wealth. People who work and don't just have everything handed to them are to be looked upon as great individuals with amazing work ethics.

• Is all that respect, which can go away within a second by the way because people are so fickle, truly worth unhappiness?

• Language. And critical thinking skills.

I'd be good at marketing I'd guess

• Well, I think that if you're good with language and critical thinking skills, marketing is an amazing idea. Maybe consider communications? Not many are accepted into this field and you need to be amazing at what you do, and according to what you're telling me, you are. Perhaps become something having to do with public speaking?