Why do fathers have not say or right to a unborn baby?

i am asking this as i am just wondering why men have no rights to unborn baby's but then have to pay child support it makes not sense to me because if the baby is both the mothers and the fathers mean it is should be 50 50 like in having the right to go to ultrasounds and know information about the unborn baby like the gender even if the mother says no

Most Helpful Guy

• That is the fault of the legal system, there are no two ways about it, there is a bias towards the mother. It is a system designed to catch deadbeat dads but it does hit hard a case of a father who wants to be involved against the mother's wishes where the baby was conceived in consensual instance.
    I always have huge doubts about applying blanket laws in areas like this, I would much prefer a couple appear a judge with a blank slate law wise where the judge can listen to facts of the case and give a recommendation based on the needs of case rather than be bound by laws.

• that sounds good but sadly women want all the rights and for men to pay for them rights with none of his own

• Thanks for MHO

• np your answer made the most sense and it was fair unlike most women on this site

What Guys Said 14

• Since the medical procedure affects both the mother (her uterus can be breached, which may result in her bleeding out, or she can become sterile, she can develop depression, or cancer) and the child. So the mother decides.

Now my problem is why can a woman be total free of financial burden of a child, but a man's financial future is dependent on the woman? If a woman doesn't want the child she can just throw it in the adoption agency, and be free of any financial repercussions that may occur from having a child. While a man is not so lucky.

It is a crappy world we live in, but I hate to say it, but it kind of is the best situation right now. Can you imagine if a guy said no to an abortion, and a woman said yeah. What kind of complications would arise? Would she be forced to carry the child until she gave birth to it? Like some incubation machine? It just muddies the already dirty water.

Lastly, we live in a biased world. There are lots of scenarios where women are at a disadvantage, and lots where men are. Just the way the world works I guess.

• but we can try to make it more fair like giving men rights to be involved in the pregnancy even if the mother says no

• Yeah I agree a man should get some information on his child like the ultrasound information you talked about in your post. Women can also force a man off the hospital floor during or after her pregnancy, but to remove this one could create some problems in the future.

• then what do you think should be fair for everyone involved

• Liberals and abortion activist pretty much lobbied until men are nothing more than sperm diners

• we just need to change the laws.

• i would love to make the law more fair but i am just one person

• According to lord Varys "a very small man can cast a rather large shadow" same goes for one person.

• @Raymond_Reddington lol

• Because the father doesn't have to go through pregnancy and birth. Pregnancy and birth are both risks to the mother's health.

After birth, the mother does not have full control over the father's relationship with the child. When the court orders support, it will generally also grant the father visitation rights.

• but the fathers should as least be able to see the ultrasound and know his baby's gender and how they are doing or if there is any problems without the mothers consent

• The law treats the child as if it belongs only to the woman.

• but why because that is unfair to men

• Yeah it's dumb guys can't undo anything girls can take plan b, use a Iud or have an abortion while the guy looks on from a distance

• i agree

• I'd be willing to take turns being on birth control if that was possible. Like take a pill or something I heard they are developing a thing for me that you get an injection in the base of your penis close to your balls and it makes it so you can't get them pregnant and lasts like 3 years I think and then you can go get it undone also. its like a gel or putty

• really i have never heard of that

• i have no good answer. the law is bullshit.. women think the baby is only theirs

• i am a women and i do not just see the baby as just mine it take two to make a baby

• exactly... the law is ridiculous

• The father should be able to know everything about their child.
    Also if the father wants a abortion and the mother doesn't, he shouldn't have to pay child support.

• i agree that would make it equal and fair

• Some women think it is only their baby, but it is actually both the mother's and father's baby. Even if she is still pregnant it is still both the mother's and father's baby.

• i agree i am in the situation where i am not with the father of my baby but i have not stopped him going to the ultrasounds or knowing anything he wants to know about our little girl

• You're right. It makes no sense if one believes in legal abortion through personal choice that a man has no right to make his own 'choice.' It's classic feminist hypocrisy.(Personally I think abortion is murder and immoral)

• Exactly, that law is bs.

• Pretty interesting view, thanks for asking that

• Because sexism

• Its cuz our laws are female oriented. The laws are bullshit and woman are given extra rights. The politicians think our ancestors were stupid and they don't know anything, we should give extra rights to them.

• because women hate men and some laws are made by man hating women, its just how it is.

What Girls Said 7

• They do have a right. It's just that whatever that has went on during the course of the relationship, a lot of women selfishly don't want to be held equally responsible in giving birth to the child. Mainly when she considers abortion. However when the child is born , it has a lot to do with selfishness and resentment. This is why we say the family structure has been broken because they did not wait till marriage for sex as well as risk getting pregnant. Women are more at fault with this email because many fell that a father doesn't need to be in a child's life. Either because they are torn from them not growing up with a father, been abused by a man or father, mother been abandoned in marriage do, experienced divorce from their parents, fathers cheating or left her mother for another woman. Maybe the boyfriend did the same to her. So she is reflecting on hers and other people's experiences to make that choice. It doesn't help if she went to centers like planned parenthood, a therapist or counselor and they are giving her the wrong information and advice on how to make a wise decision for herself, the father, and the unborn baby. We have this whole entire thing backwards.

• Plus there is not enough laws in this country to protect men. Men generally had most their rights taken away from them after the feminist movement came into play. And if not taken at all, pushed back for so many years.

• Understandable. Overall, the child needs the both of you to succeed in life. At least you two have come to some sort of agreement. Best Regards

• awww thank u and i am even willing to have him in the delivery room when our girl is born hopefully very soon

• I guess in terms of abortion, it's because it's the woman's body that it's going to affect - though of course, if the man wants the abortion and the woman doesn't, then he shouldn't have to pay child support later if he clearly says he doesn't want anything to do with the child and gives up any parental rights. You're correct that the father should have the right to go to ultrasounds and know information about the baby, in the vast majority of cases.

• i know in the case of abortion it is all the women's say i was just wondering why it is not law that the father can know information about the baby and go to the ultrasounds even if the mothers says no

• Yup, the law does suck in stuff like this :/

• i know but it would be better if the mother had to involve the father in the pregnancy if she wants child support guaranteed by law

• 50 50 having the right to go to ultrasounds? How is that gonna work? You do realize the mother has to be there, right? and if she doesn't want him there and he wants to be there, we get a tie.
    a two people democracy doesn't work.

The underlying issure though is that he is not the legal father until the baby is born. I'm not sure it's possible to become the legal father of a child before it's born but standard case is that paternity is determined at birth. I mean otherwise any guy could say he is the father and claim rights

• i know my logic is flawed but it is unfair the father cannot even see an ultrasound or know the baby's gender without the mothers go ahead and i think the law should be more fair as in the mother must involve the father in the pregnancy if she wants child support guaranteed by law

• I think it's bizarre that people think of child support as a reward for the mother and taking it away is punishment for her, rather than, well support for the child. Taking away child support is punishing the child, why is it that you want that?

• but it is the only thing that women want that men are made to give to her by law because everything else is not forced and by making it so that they only get it if they involve the father in the pregnancy and baby's life will motivate them to get the and keep the father involved and it will make it more fair as with pregnancy the mother only has to share it with him if she wants so it is only fair that child support is the same way

• Morally they should have a say. I completely agree that fathers should be encouraged and given way more legal help when it comes to being a part of their children's life. It's not encouraged enough here and that really shows.

But physically it just can't happen. How do you force something like that? Women have to suffer the most physically by either of the choices. They have to carry the child and go through labor or they have to have an abortion. None of which physically impacts a male.

The only thing I can say is that men have to be the ones who are more careful. They need to be aware that because of physical differences, they simply won't have the options that women have when it comes to that. It's no different than a woman knowing that she has to carry the physical burden of a child and us choosing to be more careful about not becoming pregnant because of that. People need to learn to take more responsibility in general.

• but then if the mother the has all them options and rights then they should have all the responsibility so unless the father is allowed some rights then the mother also has to pay all the bills to as if you the force a man to pay without giving him the same rights from the start is technically slavery and that is against the law

• I don't think you seem hostile at all honestly lol and I actually agree that something should change to make it better/easier for fathers, i've always thought that as well. I just don't see how this could really be the solution though sadly, I think it would cause way more problems in the long run most likely. I wish there was an easier solution though.

• how would my solution make more problems if you do not mind me asking and i think my solution is fair to both sides

• This is where the whole abortion and child support thing gets complicated. I think if the man wants the kid the woman should have to carry full term and the woman has to pay child support or bounce. The man should not be allowed to force an abortion legally but if wants no part in the kids like he can do what many men do and thats bounce a lot of women dont get child support contrary to beleif.

• but then the law will make him pay but the law won't make her let him in to an ultrasound which is unfair

• Lol. What... if that's honeslty true never heard of it he needs to get another lawyer the one he has sucks

• it is not the lawyer it is the judge as he is related to the ex

• Because the woman carries the baby. so when the baby is part of the woman's body, no one has the right to make decisions for her body. Once the baby is out he should get an equal say. It's impossible to make a decision about a unborn baby without impacting the mother's health.

• i do not mean making decision i am talking about the right to be at the ultrasound and know how the baby is doing that kind of thing because is we want men to be there and be supportive he needs some rights at least before the baby is born

• the it is very unfair to men as how would you like being told you cannot see any ultrasound or know anything about your own baby or even the gender by the father the forced to pay

• sorry then forced to pay

• Because women carry the child and give birth, men do not. Once the baby is born, however, they both should have the right

• so the dose not even have the right to know say the gender and how the pregnancy is or see his baby until it is born that is very unfair to men

• no i see your point in some cases that it why i think the women should prove that the father should not be allow to be involved in the pregnancy other wish she should not be able to stop him being involved like going to ultrasounds or knowing the baby's gender and if she does stop him she loses all child support

• The child support is for the child, so thats just not fair to the child