Do you think it's okay to look through your child's phone?

If she's between the ages 10-13
would you look through her phone to see what she is upto?

• Yes I need to know what my child is doing
  • No I wouldn't

Most Helpful Guy

• My children won't have phones that early. I'd say maybe 14 at the earliest. Whenever they get involved in activities like sports or dance. Especially during the summer if they ride their bikes to practice or shit that I did lol. But it won't be a smartphone. Probably a dumb phone. But yeah they will be checked at that age

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly don't think my kids will have phones until they start high school unless I see the need for them sooner than that. And yes, I will be monitoring it.

What Guys Said 18

• Parent first and foremost... I'm not your fucking friend so DAM RIGHT I wanna know what my kids are up to... next thing I know he/she's been talking to a dam pedophile or kidnapper and at her age no matter how 'adult' you think you are people my age can be fooled so it's even easier for a 13 year old so no I'm not gonna play PC... so fuck that I need to know my kids are safe.

• between the ages 10-13 my son had no phone.
    I wouldn't have done it. I trust him.

• Not unless i suspect something.

• no it´s not. either you give them the phone or you don´t. but don´t be a control freak. even children have a right for some privacy.

• educate them before hand, not try to correct them based on mistakes they lready did.

• That young, my daughter won't have a phone. Nor will she until she can pay the bill and be responsible for it.

• No way, that's her phone not my phone so I can't ! We shuold respect their right of privacy !

• Nope. Don't want my son to tell me "it's none of my business" coz I have no argument against it.

• I wouldn't do it unless she gave me a reason to.

• Yes. Till they are a responsible adult, you have every right to ask them for their phone.

• Yep. My house? My phone plan? My property.

Though if she paid her own bill, no.

• It's pathetic how many people said yes, what is wrong with the world?

• Violation of privacy, simple as that

• No, not my business (unless, and only if, I sensed that something was up).

• i didn't even had a phone on that age.

• That's akin to saying that you have no trust for them as a human being. And das fugged up.

• If I suspect they are doing something they shouldn't be doing, I will.

• im not a parent but i can say that my 10-13 year old child would definitely get his phone checked

• Only if I had VERY good reason for it. But even then I most likely would have better options than this. I want one learning to be independent and that means respecting the other borders of both sides and being able to trust so it will come to me when it has problems.

What Girls Said 12

• Absolutely. IF my child somehow had need of a phone at that age it would be abundently clear that she wouldn't be using it to misbehave. Children that age need supervision.

• I wouldn't see a reason to. My child wouldn't have a phone that young anyway.

• Only if I suspect she/he is up to something. Since my husband and I would be the ones buying that phone and paying the bill for it, it's technically ours. So we can look whenever we feel there's a reason to do so. My parents did that with my brothers and I. Of course we didn't have smartphones or Facebook, or cameras, etc. But when texting came out they would sometimes look.

• Why would my child have a phone before the age of 16?

• I know it's dumb , but the amount of kids I know that do

• My mother did it once when I was around that age and all she could achieve was to make me never trust her again.

• My rat mother did that with my checkbook once. Never trusted her again. I went out & bought a cheap lock box.
      My mistake, I left it on my dresser.

• @THE_Godfather
      Okay, I see what you did there. But my point is that I trusted her that she will close the tab before using the PC after I used it. She didn't close it, she read something from my conversation and right away called me downstairs to talk about them.

• Similar situation. Your mother intentionally didn't close the tab & snooped. Mine intentionally snooped in my checkbook.
      Neither was trusted again.

• Nope.

• Hmm, it depends on how suspicious she is. At the end of the day-I would if I felt like I needed to because you never really know what your kids are doing and it''s better to be sneaky and look than never know. It'd be easy to look while it's charging and just check... does that make me bad?
    That being said, my kid would not have a phone until she was 13-14 because a 10 year old should be focused on playing and homework, not texting.

• I won't look at her phone cos its her privacy. Ill just guide her by talking to prevent unexpected problems. But I feel that today kids know internet and other things earlier than we know and theyre quite smarter so I think there won't b any problem.

• Who says my child's going to have a phone at that age?

• God, no. My parents used to do this to me. No and no

• Total invasion of provacy

• A good parent would always look through the phone, especially at that age.