American GAGers: What would you think if "America The Beautiful " was to replace "The Star Spangled Banner " as the National Anthem?

I personally think it's a better fit for a national anthem, and is often sang in lieu of the Star Spangled Banner anyways especially at some Sport events.

Most Helpful Girl

• i like it but the star spangled banner has more dramatic flair

• I do like both but America The Beautiful describes the majesty of the country. Like Deutschland Uber Alles does for Germany

• How do you think the Germans would react if someone proposed replacing "Deutschland Uber Alles" with "Springtime for Hitler?" American Joe Sixpack would react the same to your proposal.

• @Regulatus I know it has a bad past, but it's still one of the more beautiful anthems

Most Helpful Guy

• Only if it's the Ray Charles version.

What Girls Said 2

• It might be easier for some to remember the words lol

• both suck. I don't care.

What Guys Said 17

• America the beautiful is a great song , but it just doesn't do our heritage justice

• I think this should be your National Anthem :v
    https://youtu.be/IhnUgAaea4M

• Am I the only one who's gonna point out the fact that oh beautiful is the same melody of Britains god save the queen?

• How about this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uh6VZF0R5U

For real though, the Star Spangled Banner sounds more majestic and powerful, at least to me. I like both, though.

• I think it's fitting.

Let's face it, America is hardly the land of the free and home of the brave anymore.

• No thanks. The Star Spangled Banner depicts a historical battle. America the Beautiful is nice but pales in comparison the current national anthem.

• I prefer the Star Spangled Banner

• God is mentioned in the lyrics so that won't fly. Besides, there has to be a good reason to change it and I have never heard one. It's always just personal preference.

• Nope

• Never been anywhere that America the Beautiful was sung instead of the Star Spangled Banner which would normally be sung. Where were you at when America the Beautiful was sung instead? Uou mentioned changing the lyrics with God in them then you would be changing have the song and end up with a totally different song. America the Beautiful should keep the lyrics as is and our national anthem should stay Star Spangled Banner

• Nope. Just another way to inject God's name into a government endorsement.

• The Star Spangled Banner has four verses (yes, I know that no one ever sings verses 2-4.) The 4th verse:

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
      Between their loved home and the war’s desolation!
      Blest with victory and peace, may the heav’n rescued land
      PRAISE THE POWER that hath made and preserved us a nation.
      Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
      And this be our motto: “IN GOD WE TRUST.”
      And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
      O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Religion is a part of our heritage. To deny that is to deny history.

• @OlderAndWiser "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Keep gods out of government.

• That phrase means that the government should not endorse any particular religion. It does not mean that we cannot acknowledge our Judeo-Christian heritage. The Supreme Court has never ruled against the motto "In God we trust."

• Not as inspirational of a song! #BadIdea

• I prefer the Star Spangled Banner actually. It's legit on my spotify

• Don't care one way or the other.

• Makes no sense but nothing does today.

• It's a better song, but it mentions god, so... no.

• Can't they just change the lyrics or use another stanza

• Why is it all our patriotic songs mention God in onr way or another?

• Puritan roots are difficult to pull out.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more