What do you think of Death Penalty? Should it be legal? Do you support it?

There is death penalty in US Russia China etc.. for big crimes but there is no death penalty in Europe What do you think of Death Penalty? Should it be legal? Do you support it?

• Yes I support it we shouldn't have mercy on killers rapists thieves and criminals
  • No I don't support it it's not humane
...
...,

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes there should be death penalty... why waste so much food and clothing and money on pieces of shit like them when innocents are homeless and hungry out there who're not criminals.. and have never hurt anyone..

• It actually costs more for the lethal injection than to care for the inmate (did a project a few years ago, don't remember the exact cost). But it does suck when so much effort is given to take care of someone with no respect for human life.

• @slimstiffy yep.. many countries still use the hanging method.. it's free of cost..

Most Helpful Guy

• Well some recidivists, terrorists shouldn't be able to live. Their sole goal is to harm others so... Plus, this would regulate ovepopulation.

What Girls Said 46

• I am against the death penalty, but not just out of mercy. The main reason why I'm against it is because of the number of false verdicts that happen. It's scary how frequently innocent people are found guilty, and then later their name is cleared- but sometimes it's too late. As long as the prisoner is still alive, there is a chance that false verdicts can get straightened out and they can be released.

• Like who, exactly? These "innocence projects" invariably fabricate evidence for scumbags who deserve to be fried.

• @Puppylove94 Yes, I absolutely realize that. But we don't have the right to take the life of an innocent person- we don't even have the right to take that chance. I can only imagine what it's like to be on death row for a crime you didn't commit, and I have no interest in a system where that is so much as a possibility.

• @Tserandlikeit DNA is legitimate. Trying to make civil rights martyrs out of stone cold killers is not.

• I don't support it. It's just murdering someone with governmental approval.

• Yes I support death penalty for big crimes. Not stealing though. MOre like:
    Killers (intentional and not for self defense) and repetitive rapists (with all the proves necessary) as-well as mass treason of ones country that could jeopardize the country's order and security.

• When you have people like
    H. H. holmes
    Gacy
    Bundy
    Ed gean
    Domher
    And so on...

Basically any serial killer or cannibal who takes pride in his deeds i believe should get the death sentence.

If they admit their crimes than no one is being wrongly sentence. And its often been said that killers often want to get caught.

Of course; I dont believe in it for lesser crimes.

But its sad how backwords our justice system is. A drug deal gets life in prison while murders and rapists get out on good behavior after a year or so.

• A drug deal, if not through someone that a key member of Congress is protecting, means you are competition for our gangster government. After selling out via Bob Dole in1996, the GOP is now impotent and a lost cause. The DNC, however, has been organized crime since Andrew Jackson, and got worse under Woodrow Wilson. That's why the site "Godfather Politics" even exists. RINOS are poorly-closeted Dems, and are often just as corrupt.

Nowhere is this corruption more evident than in how the "War on Drugs" is fought. If you kill your neighbor, it only matters if it costs them a buck. If you are competition for their drug buddies, however, that's unforgivable.

• I believe people proven 100% doing something horrible (Intentional murder, rape of a child, etc) should be given the death penalty. But too many cases are hard to understand, so the death penalty is potentially the murder of an innocent who was wrongly accused and decided as guilty.

• There is and it's the reAston it wasn't allowed in the EU... the only European country to still have the death penalty is Belarus

Treason still holds the death penalty in many countries it's just defunct due to the stupid human right laws

But I agree all nonces and child killers rapists should be put to death

• Murder is murder, whether sanctioned by a government or whatever... it's still murder.

• Some evil doers should not be allowed to live and suck off the system for free food and lodging.

• They didn't just wake up one day and decide "hey I want to be an evil doers"family abuse or any kind of abuse is a big role in these broken people.

• @Correctfemale I was unaware our discussion was going to be run through the justice system. I'm just agreeing to disagree with you.

• Thats is your choice

• There are times that justice fails and you label innocent people as rapists, killers etc. then you execute them. Lots of them in US history... Is this right? i am not a big supporter/ believer of god or a creator but when it comes to death i believe it is only the creator's decision to take life and give death.

I think those guilty people should be in solitary prison with no contact with humanity at all in a very small cell and no right of going out for even thirty minutes a day or a week. Just sit in the cell. And eat and shit when necessary. Taking one's freedom is worse than killing the person. And i believe those bad people deserve a slow death and pain for what they have done. Death sentence is a too quick too short punishment.

• I dont know there are soooo many pros and cons!
    Pros:
    -those who murder, commit rape shouldn't have the right to live
    -it makes sure the criminal is not gonna commit the crime again

Cons:
    -too many times people have been wrongly framed
    -its the "easy" way out and they should have to live with the knowledge of what they've done

There are soooo many more for both but I really can't say... all i can say is that those who commit rape, and or murder deserve a much harsher punishment than they would receive from the australian law system

• Depends like I don't think thiefs should be put on death penalty I 100% think rapist should be killed. As far as murder it depends like if it's someone who is a serial killer or who has killed numerous times yes they should be if it's someone who killed in self defence or someone who killed someone that done something terrible to someone they love for example a dad killing his daughters rapist then no they shouldn't be killed. It depends on the situation and the crime.

• There is something wrong with you if you think rape is worse than murder. I was right on my theory as to why women voted A. Women can be so self centred.

@Dafatronic Right like move on from it we get it where not gonna change his mind he has his opinion and we have ours.

Agreed

• Yes... but places that have the death penalty. There are people on death row in the US who have been there 36 years or more, and that's rubbish. Convict them, give them 2 appeals in 3 years' time, and get it over with.

• I support the Death Penalty

Some people are the epitome of evil and commit such heinous crimes. They deserve nothing less than their own life to be taken away from them. I believe in... a life for a life. My view will never be changed on this subject.

• No, because they suffer more in prison, its a slow death.

Plus, you're stooping down to their level, if you want the death penalty.

• not always. for some, prison is just a nice time-out

• @slimstiffy fair enough. Have a good night :)

• same to you

• It's cheaper to implement the death penalty than to impose life imprisonment or something similar. I do think rapists, etc. should get a taste of the crime they committed as well. Some people think the death penalty is bad because you could end up killing an innocent person, and while that's sad, it's better than letting the psychos run free.

• yes i do.

• If you take a life and you're 100% guilty of it, then you should lose your life.

• Only for assassins, serial killers, and people from the organised crime.
    An alternative would be to kill them in the scene, instead of capturing them.

• There are psychopaths who simply cannot be released. But I've heard that it's actually more expensive to keep a person on death row

• I support it. I think they should bring back the electric chair and kill them immediately after sentencing.

• Im a christian and I couldnt be one if I believed I had the authority to take another life. No I dont beleive in it.

• We have some high level politicians who deserve the death penalty for the crime of treason! I don't think I have to name names do I? I think we all know who they are!

• Is murdering someone bad?

If you answer yes, then you cannot agree with the death penalty. Killing someone because they killed someone doesn't make things better. It just makes more dead people. And it means that you support killing people when it suites you.

Besides, do you have any idea how expensive it is to the state to mantain the death penalty? I've seen diehard 'murica supporters have their opinion completly changed about the death penalty what they found out how much the government is spending on the practice.

• Yeah I do support it some people deserve to die. Rapists, Child Abusers they definitely deserve not to walk on this earth. Murder what ever you want to call it, they deserve it.

• I'm all for the death penalty. I also support punishing the criminals the same way they treated their victims

• As much as I'd like to see murderers get what karma owes them, I'm way too terrified of the "what if they got the wrong guy?" possibility. Often they get the right guy, but sometimes they don't.

• If the person is 100% obviously guilty of a heinous crime, they shouldn't be treated as human. They don't value human life. They're scum and should be treated as such.

But ultimately, whatever costs less to taxpayers. I'd rather it help veterans or homeless instead of feeding disgusting murderers/rapists.

• I'm mostly against it but maybe in certain instances it should be used. Like if they are 100% guilty of murder and rehabilitation has been attempted with no success. I don't condone murder but I'm not sure them spending the rest of their life in jail (and wasting tax payer money) is any better than death.

• I don't trust people to enforce what they believe to be the 'general morale.'

A politician might think that gay sex is illegal, might think, "all moral people are with me," and could begin to execute homosexuals.

Look at the middle east. Sorry to point fingers.

• I support death penalty, I don't support the way conditions are set!!

• More from Girls
    16

What Guys Said 72

• Yes, I agree with it for crimes such as murder, rape and treason IF and only if there is sufficient evidence and, possibly, several witnesses to the crime. They could have a mountain of circumstantial evidence. Easily enough to convict but I don't agree that it's worth of the death penalty if there is an above-zero chance that they're innocent.

To explain it simply:
    - 100% chance that person committed murder, rape or treason - Death penalty
    - 99.7% chance that person committed murder, rape or treason - Life in prison or w/e the current penalty is.

I can't think of a logical reason to spend tax-payer money on keeping someone alive for decades at a time with no return on that investment.

• Except nothing in this world is 100% true.

• @OlderAndWiser
      There are hardly any states that still effectively use the death penalty for any crime.

I do believe rape is punishable by death in some Islamic countries, but it may have to be witnessed by three men or some bs like that, however, if a woman reports rape, she has just confessed to having sex with a man she is not married to, and is therefore stoned.

I do know that drug trafficking is punished by death still in several countries.

• @WalterRadio, I never said that it should be the punishment nor did I say it was the existing punishment. I said I agree with it for the crimes such as murder, rape and treason with sufficient evidence. I guess, the part I did not stress enough is that I'm more so focusing on repeat offenders and particularly heinous crimes where it's unlikely the criminal will ever leave prison.

• I support it yeah, I think it should be brought back to all states and honestly I even think they should bring back hanging, make it public and make the prisoners watch. Nothing deters crime then knowing if you commit murder or another huge crime like that, that your fate is to be hanged, which entails having your neck broken and having the air squeezed out of you by a rope.

All we do is fill prisoners with extremely dangerous people who have committed horrible acts agaisnt people. And they sit there and basically make prison their own little kingdom, where the strong survive and the weak are snuffed out, all on our tax dollars. I say kill em, ( just the major criminals and for crimes like rape, murder etc ) free up space, money and time.

I will say this do not give people who have done petty crime the death penalty, because I know for a fact that those kinds of criminals aren't always bad people. Some of them are just good folks who got in with the wrong crowd and or got in over their heads. As I did actually meet a former convict at the gym one time, who spend a lot of time in prison. And when he last got out of prison he completely reformed his life, turned away completely from crime, took up a good honest job, got a degree, and is a really great guy.

So it is possible for criminals to be reformed and have their lives turned around and be put back into society but unfortunately most of them aren't like that.

• The point of prison is rehabilitation, not punishment. Here's a scenario:
    1) Robert has a good family life, a wife and a daughter.
    2) The mob comes to his house, rape and kill his wife, and force him to rape his own daughter after which they kill her too.
    3) Robert is mentally destroyed by this but instead of doing nothing, he seeks out the people responsible and murders every single one of them, meaning now he's a murderer too.
    4) The government arrests him and then issues the death penalty for mass-slaughter.

Does Robert deserve the death penalty?
    Sure, most cases are with people who are just insane, but there are instances such as these. Should they die?

• What i tried to explain earlier.
      You couldnt have said it easier.
      Thank you so much.🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

• @Correctfemale thanks :)

• The gov't has never condoned vigilantism and probably never will since that makes lawyers unemployed. So if there is a death penalty the circumstances will not matter and it will probably be used. Better to have the gov't execute them than do it yourself in that scenario (as unlikely as it is, the Mob isn't 1% of what they were in the 1970's).

• No. Its wrong to say that murder is a crime, and then murder people who murder. Its quite simple, an eye for an eye makes the world go blind. U can't fight killing with more killing, u can't fight rape woth killing... should they be punished? Absolutely. Prison is suitable for crime, part time or lifetime, depending on the crime. All life is precious, call me a liberal all u want... but death is not something to be taken as lightly as the death penalty makes it seem. They act like its no big deal snd that they deserve it. Punished greatly? Of course... but no killed.

• Imagine if we raped rapists 😹😹😹

• @Correctfemale exactly! Again i like the way u think. People can talk about "using the death penalty to scare people"..." They earned it and they deserve the death penalty" but at the end of the day u are still killing. U can't make a law saying that murder is illegal and then making exceptions like the death penalty. murder is murder. Its that simple. Its not helpful in any way, shape or form to our community. I dont care how much it scares people from doing serious crime. It scares them becuz they know how important life is and they dont want to put themselves in the position where they might lose it. This is tue for most cases, but not all unfortunately. There is a reason why we must help one another. Im tired of super extreme conservatives. U help people to help. U help for their own sake... but also because u can learn something from every individual on this planet. Respect one another, respect their personality and most importantly respect their life.🙂 u right! @correctfemale

• Truth 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌 again couldn't have said it better

• I find it interesting that we're this far into the 21st century, and still unable to grasp what was plainly obvious to those living in the 10th century BC.

Guilty blood vs. "Innocent" blood. Hands that shed blood of those who shed not. Such a simple concept, yet so elusive to our Heidegger-and-Sanger-poisoned modern minds.

That which we need for our future economic and cultural sustainability - the unborn - may be torn apart with the most savage ways without anything to dull the pain - even in ways that endanger the mother! Even though this is explicitly condemned. (Proverbs 6, Jeremiah 1:5)

Yet, culpable adults who delight in visiting savagery on others, such as the asswipe that shot Kate Steinle? We just can't invent enough excuses to shield him from the electric chair!

Our media outlets revel in doing documentaries on killers; feeling oh-so-much-pity for the killers themselves. Yet, especially if the killer is part of some minority, the victims are little more than names and statistics, and nothing else. The surviving victims are the ones portrayed as "heartless," "cold," and "unfeeling," because they can't know how the killer feels!!!

Pick a recent school shooting. How much airtime did the victims or their families get, unless their lashing out could somehow be used for political gain to aid gun control fanatics? Not a lot, is it? How much time do we get to hear how royally f*ked up the killer's family is? Hours and hours and hours!!! Freud rules the world from the grave!

Everything's backwards!

• The problem with the death penalty, such as practiced in the US, is that it takes too long and is not a certain punishment.

In order for a penalty to be a deterrent to crime, the would-be-criminal must believe he will be caught and swiftly punished. Sitting on death row for twenty years is not swift.

It should also not be based on lethal injection. It should be a hanging with a limited number of witnesses, including the family and friends of the criminal. That will get the word out to not kill people.

• Many people kill because of a broken home or trauma. If you believe in killing them because you their crime offensive, what makes you so different from a murderer?

• @Correctfemale
      So, let's not waste innocent people's lives. If that killer had been punished adequately for his prior crimes, he never would have been out of prison to kill two people.

Either humans have self will or they don't. If they do, then execute murderers. If they don't, then let's not give those without it the freedoms of those that have it. They should be enslaved because they are not capable of making decisions for themselves.

• Well prison is better, they will suffer slowly and painfully until they die of whatever causes.

• Vote C, your poll choices are terrible.
    You give us the option to suggest we support it for all crimes, or none.

• I think that the Death Penalty should be reserved for only the most Horrific crimes, like purposely shooting police!!
    They are there to serve and protect, and I BELIEVE that the VAST MAJORITY do good things, and don't profile, and don't just mess with people!!

• We have killed people later to found innocent, how can we support something that may one day kill any one of us, because we look like someone, or were in the wrong place at the wrong time? A life sentence can at least give n innocent person a chance for the truth to come out.

• YES
    it can be merciful to all involved on both sides of the crime if performed painlessly and without huge amounts of time & money thrown at waiting periods; that said, those that successfully setup a Patsy to take the fall for the guilty should also later be placed on this same short death row

• If it's not cruel and unusual it's not punishment. That Amendment needs repealed just like Prohibition was. The purpose of prison is supposedly an attitude adjustment so you can eventually be a productive member of society. When it's pretty much guaranteed they are never getting out that overrides that purpose and it's a waste of taxpayer money to keep them alive in a cage for life (which is often over 50 years and the record is 68). Change the law to where anything that warrants more than a 10-15 year sentence is automatically federal so they don't get as many appeals driving up the cost of execution into the millions and time of process into the decades. 2 appeals and that's it. Maybe 3 in the off chance the SCOTUS wants to hear it. As far as botch-proof method of execution bring back the guillotine (France had it until 1981) and sell tickets to the executions to recoup some of the costs of the trial. Barring that use a firing squad. If it's good enough for the military it should be good enough for everyone else like anything else mil-spec. At least then there's no need for postponement due to lack of tools (there will always be bullets, unlike lethal-injection drugs).

• I support it in the sense that say it should exist but practically never be exercised.

The only times it would be acceptable to exercise it would be in the most extreme cases where there is absolutely no doubt (picture someone butchering a class of 9 year olds and getting caught while doing it).

• Incredibly expensive the way it's handled and some are proven innocent after... You know, being killed. If people weren't proven innocent I would be all for killing off serial killers. Only way to cure that is with a bullet. A judge actually suggested making executions look more like executions "firing squad".

• I don't think the death penalty is ok under ANY circumstance. If someone was deemed responsible for hundreds of murders, they STILL should only be sentenced to life in prison with no parole. No matter how much evidence there is, there will always be the risk of killing an innocent person. A 0.000001% chance is 0.000001% too much.

• Lmao nice statistics 😹😹😹😹
      4 percent of death penalty victims are innocent.

• @Correctfemale
      I wasn't claiming they were legitimate statistics, I was just saying that EVEN IF there was only a 0.000001% chance, that it wasn't worth the risk.

The fact that the actual statistic is 4%, only further validates my argument.

• Oh yes i knew that.
      I was just playing around.
      I totally disagree with death row.
      Around 1/20 people are murdered because of. Death row.

• What kind of person fears the death penalty the most?
    The person who is law abiding and least likely to face a hangman.

What kind of person has no fear of the death penalty?
    The person who has NOTHING to lose or is escaping captivity.

The death penalty serves one purpose and one purpose only. It reduces the prison population and reduces income to the prison system by virtue of numbers. There is not one human on this planet that did not commit a crime because he or she feared the death penalty.

In the USA there is no real incentive to have the death penalty and more incentive not to. The prison system is a cash cow if you chose to believe it or not. It is NOT a burden upon society as we are led to believe.

• In private prisons, I don't care whether there's the death penalty or not because the prison-owner essentially buys the criminals as slaves and doesn't cost the taxpayer a dime. I believe there's only a debate over the matter when government money is involved.

• Why drag out the misery? Just want to torture the guy for a slim chance of going into limbo land before he dies? Just shoot him and be done with it. Save the tax money for something good like education or tax cuts or helping the poor folks.

• for me, it puts our social evolution back to feudal times... murder is murder, no matter if a judge signed it or not. a man dies by another mans hand, which is murder and should not be ok in a modern society. if you believe in god (or not like me) doesnΒ΄t matter, we should be so humble as a human to see, that we are not allowed to make "that" judgement.

• Very hard call but I feel some crimes do deserve death penalty, with a lot of caveats and strict control I would still favour it.

• In reality I am on the fence about the issue but I voted *in favor* because I would rather have it wholly legalized than wholly abolished. The way I see it is that there good reasons for both sides of the issue therefore it should be decided upon at the state level. The problem however is federal offenses -- how then should our government handle it? -- in such cases, I think it should be decided upon on a case by case basis.

• If someone does horrible things (like murdering) they actually deserve to die themselves, but I find it too inhumane to kill them. I mean, they're people too, they've done bad things, but that doesn't mean we have to kill them.
    Why not let them mine stone lifelong in prison? I mean, society benefits from that at least..

• Eh, qualified yes. I think it should be legal, absolutely--but I think that safeguards should be put in place to make sure we *do* execute the ones who need executing and *don't* execute innocents or those who have been accused of greater crimes than they're guilty of.

... Is that wishy-washy enough or should I whine more?

• The essence of all life bestowed in each and every one of us is precious, to extinguish that is a sin against each any every one of us.

Life is of infinite worth deserving of everything good, what should be done to these people who are corrupt are too be fixed into just members of society.

• I selected "Don't support it", but not because I think it's inhumane. I don't trust. gov to actually get the right person, and this isn't a punishment that can be appealed or made up for if (when) they get the wrong guy. I also don't agree with how it's applied.

• No I don't. I don't know what your beliefs in God are but I think no one should be allowed to play God, no matter how morally righteous or heroic it might seem.

Death penalty sounds more like revenge than Justice to me. Plus there were cases in which the people who were given death penalty were later found innocent. What you gonna do then? Say sorry to their grave?

• I agree with your last sentences but if you are christian there is that penalty in the bible :)

• The only reason I'm against it is because of human error.

There have been cases where people went to jail or received the death penalty for murders they didn't commit. Just look at the West Memphis Three case. The three guys served 18 years for a murder they didn't do. One was gonna receive the death penalty while the other 2 were gonna get life sentences. They're out now but that's still 18 years they're never gonna get back.

• Its legel where i am but you usually sit on death row for years before anything happens, but i used to think the death penalty was good but im thinking it might be worse for them to spend life in prison with nothing to do locked in a cube room dealing with other aholes, so capital punishment might actually be more humane, plus letting them live life in prison allows them to think on what they did and hopefully find remorse for it

• No, it just brutalizes society, makes people tolerant of mass killing in wars, such as happens now in the US especially with blowback fro Syria etc.

We should put them in stocks again, that's more embarrassing.

• Do I want my country in the same list as Russia, China, Iran and Saudi Arabia? No. The death penalty doesn't do dick to deter crime and it's on the same level as what those Communist and terrorist countries do.

• An extremely thorny issue but yes, I do support the death penalty in part.

• More from Guys
    42