How's my drawing so far?

Any opinions on how Vader's coming along? Obviously not finished, but I'd like to know what you guys think of it so far. Any criticism and feedback is welcome! How's my drawing so far?

Most Helpful Girl

• Looks pretty good, but keep sharpening your pencil to reduce the bluriness of the lines to the minimum!

Most Helpful Guy

• It looks decent so far. It's difficult for me to judge proportions due to the angle of the photo though. In any case, I think you could benefit a bit from blending with your shading. I don't know your art experience, but this can be done with simply rubbing your finger on the shaded parts.

I would experiment around on scratch paper so you get a feel for it. Blending has the benefit of creating smoother shadows and getting rid of the "pencil line" effect. Given vader's shiny black armor, I would imagine this would elevate it to a new level.

On a sidenote, if you have a more black pencil, I would use that and create things overall darker. You can also create more contrast that way. Vader is pretty black and your pencil is gray. This naturally creates a roadblock if you don't have a darker pencil... but nevertheless, that's my personal opinion on the matter.

What Girls Said 8

• It looks pretty good thus far. Tho, it seems to me that the body proportions are a little off, like the lower legs and feet relative to the rest of the body? Although it could be the angle you're drawing it from.

But it's MUCH better than what I could ever hope to draw, so what do I know :P

• Yeah you're right haha, it looks out of proportion because I took the photo from a weird angle, if I look at it straight on it's proportions are more relative as a whole

• I think it looks really good for your age and the fact that this is probably just a hobby. What type of pencil are you using?

• I'm using a regular crappy HB for the outline sketching since I have no others and some sort of black and purple colour pencils, Faber-Castell probably

• Very good. The shading and other details are impressive. :)

• Thanks, I intend on trying to fix up my contrasts and tone after I actually finish the drawing of arms and saber lol

• Sounds like a solid plan.

• Yep, I want it looking good haha, maybe putting in some sort of background as well but it's just a concept right no

• That looks great

• way way way better then i could ever do lol

• I love it. It looks really nice, good job 👍
    I have no critics.

• I WISH I CAN DRAW LIKE YOU! *^*

• lol haha thanks, I've still got a long way to go before I consider myself good though haha

• xD Being different can be fun, sometimes. xD Well, I'm going off now, have lots to do. T~T It was nice talking to you! =D

• Haha nice talking to you too, bye! 😄

• Awesome!

What Guys Said 12

• Looking very nice -- I think it might help though (but perhaps it's partly the photo/scan) to blast the contrast a bit at some point. Increase the darks, maybe use kneaded eraser and pull out some prominent highlights. Make it "pop" and draw the eyes to all the right places.

• ... probably best saved as finishing touch though.

• I think white background works well if you want to make it more of a concept. Maybe a cast shadow or some faint hint of a background might help? Anyway, looking good!

• Ok, I'll be sure to think on that.
      Thank you 😊

• Looks awesome the bottom half looks a little bigger but that's probably just the angle you took the photo at. Maybe keep going over to build up to darker tones.
    I found with a lot of my grey lead portraits that what I thought was a complete artwork was actually very faint and it took me a while to get more confident and stop being so light handed with my shading but that's just me :/.

• Looks like others have already gave similar advice.

• True, looks good

• That is really good, I don't know artistic term but the tone of the shading is very good on different parts of the figure.

• It's actually pretty good! Is that free handed, stencilled, or did you use a reference image of some kind?

• Aces, pretty cool, what are you basing his armor off of? I know people like to switch up what his armor looks like based off of real or fantasy armors. So what's your inspiration?

• I'm basically basing it off of this little Vader figure that my friend gave me before, it looks pretty identical, at least somewhat similar to the figure's armour

• Actually pretty good dude. But the head seems a bit too small, no?

• Actually yeah the whole top half seems a little smaller, this is because I took the picture at a weird angle.
      Lol sorry about that, it looks much more proportionate in real life haha

• Dope. Keep up the good work, kid.

• Looking good, u can never really judge a work till its finished.
    I had a drawing that looked average and with some final adjustment it was pretty nice👌🏼
    And urs is looking more than average for now, so good luck, keep up the good work😜

• yes, it looks good, its better than what i can draw.

• Looks really good.

• looking good

• I love it.. Needs to be more darker in some areas tho