Are single mothers becoming privileged?

I can't help but to notice the high numbers of single mothers in today's society. My mother was also a single mother and while I understand that relationships/marriages don't work out and people split, single mothers are always getting slaps on the wrist for being mediocre and lousy parents. Just popping out a child and not working out with the father does not earn you a gold medal. What I feel is happening in today's society is single mothers feel entitled simply because they don't have the help of someone else, meanwhile, the children always have to feel like burdens in the end. Because my mother chose to get pregnant by a guy who she was not married to, why is that my fault? The children suffer the most in the end from the parents' bad decision making. Yet, we always put EVERY single mom on a pedistal and even go as far as to give them a Father's Day card or gift. No, I don't feel like Father's Day is for single moms. MOMS have a day and while I empathize with some single mothers and feel they're strong and hardworking. They shouldn't get any more perks than women who aren't single. Where do you think our society is heading in regards to single moms? Are we giving them too much praise for nothing?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I highly agree with you single moms feel intitiled now. Not just to get a card on fathers day but also they have their noses in the air about it. O your a family well IM a single mother! I get that they have to do a ton of work but still that is no reason to be aragant and prideful about it. So far I have only known one single mother who was humble aboutnit and does not go around mentioning it to every one every ten seconds. They also sometimes get favors for it to which is awful. A family is standing in line and a single mothers child is going nuts because the mother does not know how to raise her kid. Often times the family whose younger kids are being good will let her go first in line. It is the same thing when the single mother is out in society. If it were a family with a kid screening its head off then people would yell at the mom and dad for not controlling their kid. With a single mother they either just ignore the kid making a scene or they try and help her out. With gay parents they also get treated a lot better in society. Compared to regular parents. Why because it is rare to see them and we don't want to scare them away.

Most Helpful Girl

• Being a single mom seems tough and if you can do it and do it well then why not give yourself a pat on the back! I have a friend who gives their mom a fathers day card because she did both for him. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's how the kids feel. There are a lot of lousy single moms it's not easy so I think theirs nothing wrong with acknowledging the good ones. I have never been a single mom, nor have I had one, nor or any of my close friends single moms by the way. If you don't think it's special then just don't part take in the praising of them that's all.

What Guys Said 8

• 0|1
    • That's the best Hitler redub ever.

• @HyperNova Hitler knows his stuff. Did you see what he thought about ghostbusters?

Also welcome back and everything

• i dunno. they don't seem all that privileged to me. Perhaps you meant entitled?

• if single moms can get fathers day cards then i want a card for just existing.

• "Becoming"?

• Giving them to much child support and benefit of the doubt. Simple buy plan b, close your legs, work it out, have an abortion or stop dating. Especially the ones with kids from 2 or 3 guys it's probably their own fault honestly that's my opinnion.

• Yep I agree. But I think a child NEEDS a farther and a mother.

• Yes. Yes they are. Single motherhood should ever be celebrated or encouraged, nor incentivized by government assistance.

• Very interesting view.

What Girls Said 4

• Yess, thank you! I actually get so sick of hearing the "i'm a single mom" excuse for everything also. Like it's our fault that you chose to have 5 babies with 3 different men, who you couldn't stay in a relationship with, before you had the common sense to get an education and/or a well paying job to support all of them with first. It's like bitch-that's your problem.

• moms get father's day cards now?

• Yea, because raising children on your own. Working jobs , being a cook, maid, mom.. etc is so easy.

• I don't think single moms are privileged. Giving them too much praise is much different from being privileged. Single parents have to do a lot of work. Just because some don't work as hard as others, doesn't mean they are all privileged. Plus, privilege means there are larger underlying societal/institutional laws/beliefs in their favor. Given the large amount of people who still look down on single parents, I don't think single parents are privileged.